Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
LOL - I love the commentary on why they selected the titles they did... that's just awesome.

Aphextwin_sl

shitlord
I bought all these bundles which have some some good ones among them. You get a steam key for each game so if you already have any you can give it to someone you love. What I do is check games on steam and then some game play videos on youtube for those games I am not familiar with; you also get a good sense of how much money these bundles save you.

All Game Bundles

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
No DLC/Season Pass though, yet again.
McCheese_sl said:
God damnit. Once again I missed the Civ 5 sale and I'm stuck with the shitty base game.
All the Borderlands 2 and Civ 5 DLC/Expansions are on sale on Newegg with promo code EMCWXWW235 for 70% off. The Borderlands 2 DLC end up being like $1.50 each or something so you can get all the Season Pass stuff for like $9 total or something. I already have the Civ 5 expansions but the same promo code gets you 70% off those as well (so $9 for Brave New World, most of the other ones are like $1 or something). You get Steam codes, it says the games are all for Mac but Steam is platform agnostic so they work fine for Windows.

Edit: Actually now that I look you can actually just get the Season Pass itself for $9. There's some other random stuff available as well:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&cm_sp=&Page=1

Aphextwin_sl

shitlord
I can confirm that the MAC version online code for Civ 5 Brave New World from Newegg does register and install just fine on a Windows steam account. Thanks for linking that.

Crone

Never played a Civ game ever, but seems fun? At that price, should I just get it?

Black Sun Wizard

Silver Knight of the Realm
Never played a Civ game ever, but seems fun? At that price, should I just get it?
I would. It plays like a very complex board game but is really fun. I usually play one "game" for about a couple weeks or so then break from it for about a month. Rinse and repeat.

Aphextwin_sl

shitlord
You sound just like me! I have been gaming since space invaders in the local arcade and I have never played turn based strategy games or any strategy games for that matter, it's been FPS or MMO's for the most part. Anyway, I recently picked up XCOM and then Civ 5 and these games are addictive and a ton of fun. I have since added about 30 strategy games, mostly old, to my steam library from various bundles out there, I am hooked.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
I made it into the friends and family sharing beta but you can only share with people in the beta currently and I don't know anyone in the beta. Anyone make it in who wants to test how it works?

Vaclav

I'm in it, and that would explain why I couldn't set it up with the wife's account. PM me your Steam name and I'll toss you a friend request to line it up to toy with.

(We've been slacking a ton on doing Steam recently, so probably all plus side for you)

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
You know, I've tried Civ but i've never understood why I should like it over a Total War game. I can still play RTW1 into the fucking ground.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I'll echo the responses already written. I just picked up the Civ IV complete/gold/whatever bundle (figured that if I loved it, I would later buy the fifth, thereby doubling my gaming bliss!) The tutorial is fucking painful and interminable, and I can't find a way to save progress in it, so I'm just learning by playing the game. All the techs, religions, units, etc are overwhelming, but I'm beginning to sense that, like Xcom EU, it's waaaaaay more intuitive than first impressions indicate. And it's, really, really good. The graphics are technically pretty dated, but as with WoW, the style ages well and to a large extent mitigates the optical rape you you have to deal with when playing decade-old games.

Anyway, I think I'll be playing it for quite a while, and I have yet to even install the expansions. No clue if the sales are still going on, but consider buying it regardless.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
You know, I've tried Civ but i've never understood why I should like it over a Total War game. I can still play RTW1 into the fucking ground.
I like both (series of) games, and it really depends on what I'm in the mood for.

If I want to play something more combat-oriented then I'll always go with the Total War series. No other game gives you that feeling of being a 5-star general, so to speak. When I play Civ I tend to avoid direct military conflict.

On the other hand, if I want something more city-building or diplomacy based I'll always go to Civ. It's not that the city building in the Total War games is bad, but it doesn't even come close to Civ. The diplomacy in the Total War series has always sucked ass, so there's no comparison between them in that regard.

Overall, despite both being grand strategy games, they appeal to very different crowds. I can absolutely see liking one and not the other. I think a lot of the enjoyment comes from how fond you are of the time periods, as well. I love the fact that Civ takes you from antiquity to the future. While I enjoy some of the Total War settings (Rome, Medieval) I dislike others (Shogun, Napolean). Until they make a Total War game that encompasses all of the eras Civ will always be my go-to game in that respect.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Overall, despite both being grand strategy games, they appeal to very different crowds. I can absolutely see liking one and not the other. I think a lot of the enjoyment comes from how fond you are of the time periods, as well. I love the fact that Civ takes you from antiquity to the future. While I enjoy some of the Total War settings (Rome, Medieval) I dislike others (Shogun, Napolean). Until they make a Total War game that encompasses all of the eras Civ will always be my go-to game in that respect.
I enjoy the Romans, Greeks so perhaps that plays a large part.

Rime

<Donor>
A newHumble Bundleis available today - Worms Reloaded, Bard's Tale, Incredipede, Anodyne, Greed Corp, and Ticket to Ride. Nothing too great/huge in it, though Worms is always fun with a group of people.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
If you get tired of the standard Civ 4, or just can't really get excited about playing the same ancient civilizations for the umpteenth time, install the Fall From Heaven mod. I'm not sure the current state it is in, and I know at one time I even installed one called Fall Further which added even more shit, but it is like an entirely new game. Fantasy oriented, completely new races and abilities, religions that matter, etc. There were giants that had bigger cities, undead that didn't need food and had a different population mechanic, etc. Once I started playing it, I never went back to vanilla again. That's part of the reason I've never been that thrilled with Civ 5. Even if the game had been wonderful at launch (which it wasn't), how many times can I play the Romans, the Babylonians, etc.? I suppose I should check to see if they ever finally made a Fall mod for 5.

EDIT: Oh yeah, totally forgot. That guy got hired to make the expansions for the Fallen Enchantress games (not the original that apparently sucked, the better expansions). Maybe I'll give that a try next time it is cheap.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Pretty good Humble Weekly Bundle this week:

Humble Weekly Sale: Focus Home Interactive (pay what you want and help charity)

Cities XL Platinum
Blood Bowl Legendary Edition
Divinity II: Developers Cut
R.A.W Realms of Ancient War
Game of Thrones: the RPG
Confrontation

Pay $6 and get Wargame: European Escalation and Sherlock Holmes

Note that it's just one key for the group of 5 and one key if you pay 6 for the bonus.
Never bought one of these, how does it work? If I give them, say, $10, I get all of them including the Wargame and Sherlock Holmes thing?

Rime

<Donor>
Correct.

You can give them a dollar and get all of them except for Wargame and Sherlock or you can beat the 'average' and get all of the games listed.