Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Anyone here have it yet? The reviews I’ve seen would probably make me cancel it if I had preordered. Too expensive to be buying it to beta test imo. I’d wait for Deck 2 if it ever happens, or 1.5 at least.

I dont think anyone here has it yet. Would love to hear a first hand review from someone here. I plan on keeping mine and got my order in at 10:12am so hopefully in the next month or so get it. Plan on using it as an Elden Ring gameboy.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think reasonable expectations will be key. For me that means working on my indie/low demand back log at work and having it docked or charging on cable most of the time. Bonus if it does well sneaking it onto a unused computer monitor and m:kb.

spronk

FPS noob
the two guys i know who bought one early both sold theirs for $1500 on ebay so yeah

Sludig

I mean if they still go that high by the time i get mine, I'd probably flip and buy again later

• 1Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, if by the time I get mine I can get 1K for it on offer up or facebook market place ill flip it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I travel a lot for work but just never got into any of the Switch games. Even the classics like Mario or Zelda just didn't appeal to me. Will my entire Steam library be any different? I have no idea. Maybe if I could output to a hotel TV, and hook the keyboard/mouse or controller up to it? That would make for an easy travel solution instead of dragging around my entire setup?

Otherwise, you'll have to figure out what games are great for the smaller screen and joysticks. It's kind of nice to have basically a built-in controller.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The fucking camera cuts/edits every 2 seconds feel like your are having a seizure. I fucking hate this generation.
This is exactly the bullshit I was complaining about in modern cartoons in the parenting thread, and some dickweed was trying to tell me I'm just old and don't understand "good editing".

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My preorder still shows Q3. I'm torn on whether to keep it or not. Will probably sell it if the secondary market is still hot or cancel it if supply is easily available by then. I just can't justify 650 bucks for something I'm unlikely to use a lot right now.

• 1Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
more orders went out this week im not even close

What was your order time? Im US 512GB and 10:13 PDT. From what I saw todays email had people with 10:09 PDT getting emails for the 512GB in the US. So I should be getting close.

Crone

I think this has way more potential for me personally than a Switch. The issue still is though that I don't have a situation that has "downtime" where I can not just play a computer. I don't have a commute or work in an office where a lunch break or other breaks would let me hop into a game real quick. I'm not a stay-at-home Dad that has long waits in lines at school to pick up the kids, doctor's appointments, etc etc. If I have downtime to play games, I can just play on my desktop.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
What was your order time? Im US 512GB and 10:13 PDT. From what I saw todays email had people with 10:09 PDT getting emails for the 512GB in the US. So I should be getting close.

i got fucked over by steams captcha or something so i'm way later since I was locked out for a few hours, right now the calculators estimate i'll be June 20th which is fine with me

you can get an estimate of when you probably will get a ship notification/request here

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think this has way more potential for me personally than a Switch. The issue still is though that I don't have a situation that has "downtime" where I can not just play a computer. I don't have a commute or work in an office where a lunch break or other breaks would let me hop into a game real quick. I'm not a stay-at-home Dad that has long waits in lines at school to pick up the kids, doctor's appointments, etc etc. If I have downtime to play games, I can just play on my desktop.
Shitter, travel, laying in bed.

Crone

Shitter, travel, laying in bed.
If I need constant entertainment while on the shitter I have my phone for a couple of minutes. If you take some 20-30 minute shits and need a video game system to keep you occupied then I don't know what to tell you other than you're doing it wrong. I travel all the time and bring my gaming laptop to use in the hotel room. It could possibly replace my gaming laptop? But that's a one-for-one trade, it doesn't add anything. The bed is for sleep, and I don't use electronics in bed.

Maybe I'm the rare one, but my lifestyle and stuff just don't lend well to "mobile" gaming, whether that's on a phone or otherwise.

spronk

FPS noob
i don't know what you are eating but im not gonna be on the shitter for 40 mins

i'm with you crone though i don't really have a need for a portable gaming device, for me its basically just a backup gaming PC. its stupid and a laptop is a better idea but whatever, maybe like 3 hours of the year i want to have some portable gaming options (car stuff, doctor visits). I think i've used my switch in portable mode maybe 10 hours total in 4 years.

honestly I think i'll just have more fun fucking around and figuring out how to install emulators, downloading ROMs, tweaking all that stuff so old retro stuff looks and runs great on a steam deck. then promptly not actually play any of it. not really much different from my dad who spent thousands of hours fixing up old 60s cars but rarely drove any of them.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm back to traveling for work and pleasure often again so I'm gonna but mine as soon as I can. I have a Switch but the problem is the game library. This will be way better in that regard.

Crone

I ordered all 3 versions but I didn't know only 1 of them would stick. So I'm in the queue for the 64gb version, but I saw they already have ways to upgrade the storage. Hopefully it runs everything well and it's just a storage difference?

And yea, I'll probably be looking at all the different shit that it can run, and playing with it that way.

Jovec

?
I ordered all 3 versions but I didn't know only 1 of them would stick. So I'm in the queue for the 64gb version, but I saw they already have ways to upgrade the storage. Hopefully it runs everything well and it's just a storage difference?

Top SKU comes with "premium anti-glare etched glass." The other differences are either fluff (horse armor) or could be bought 3rd party (case) or added (storage). SoC, battery, etc are all the same between SKUs.

Sludig

Wonder how good the glass is, makes me almost want to downgrade if storage easily fixed