Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm happy to be q2, wasn't to see real world experiences. Excited to have something other than my phone at work. Mobile games are yeah and sometimes foh runs out of content.

spronk

FPS noob
steam deck is pretty large, good for meaty boy hands.

vita
cachedImage.png

switch oled
cachedImage.png

even bigger than the wii u gamepad
cachedImage.png

FKxJ_BOUYAQuu11.png

hopefully it reviews positively when it is out soon, i don't expect to get mine for months but it does look like a super fun toy to have, especially if you load it up with emulators and shit. way better than a hacked switch

• 2Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 2 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
steam deck is pretty large, good for meaty boy hands.

vita
cachedImage.png

switch oled
cachedImage.png

even bigger than the wii u gamepad
cachedImage.png

FKxJ_BOUYAQuu11.png

hopefully it reviews positively when it is out soon, i don't expect to get mine for months but it does look like a super fun toy to have, especially if you load it up with emulators and shit. way better than a hacked switch
It has a lot of girth to it.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
first steam dicks will start shipping in less than a month, order invites to pay will start going out Feb 25th

check your order status here

i think you have to be Q1 2022 to get in the first wave. I'm Q2 :(
Right there with you.
1644023655749.png

good for meaty boy hands.
That's what she said.
It has a lot of girth to it.
That's what she said.
Looks generic as shit
That's what she said.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I'll wait for the first wave of manufacturing defects to get out and then pick this up and toss a 1TD drive into it and dual boot steamos/windows and then it's goodbye switch.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
In nine months this thread will be “Steam deck gathering dust in the closet” and “Loaded up emus and played for a few hours, haven’t played since”

• 7Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 8 users

spronk

FPS noob
steam deck embargo is over and reviews are pouring out

battery life seems to be a big issue, 2h if you let everything run uncapped but can get it better through tweaking. also screen may not be the best, although will probably have to wait for more reviews on that. i dont think the steam deck uses an OLED panel

i got months before mine ships so sit and think mode. i know steam deck v2 out in 2-3 years will be WAY better, so is it worth it spending $600 or w/e on a toy that i probably will rarely use...

Sludig

steam deck embargo is over and reviews are pouring out

battery life seems to be a big issue, 2h if you let everything run uncapped but can get it better through tweaking. also screen may not be the best, although will probably have to wait for more reviews on that. i dont think the steam deck uses an OLED panel

i got months before mine ships so sit and think mode. i know steam deck v2 out in 2-3 years will be WAY better, so is it worth it spending $600 or w/e on a toy that i probably will rarely use...
Any idea if you can leave it charging while playing or will that overheat?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
In nine months this thread will be “Steam deck gathering dust in the closet” and “Loaded up emus and played for a few hours, haven’t played since”
That’s what I’m afraid of. I would hate to spend money on it and barely play it. I have one pre ordered but still deciding to buy it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That’s what I’m afraid of. I would hate to spend money on it and barely play it. I have one pre ordered but still deciding to buy it.
It is what will happen, except for maybe people who travel a lot.

I bought the original nvidia shield which is basically this thing. You could stream steam library to it, put retro arch on it, etc. it was great for traveling but otherwise it didn’t get much use. Why play a steam game on a 5” screen in your house when you have a much better screen and controls 20 feet away? I played it in bed a few times but it annoyed my wife. It ended up becoming a place to throw movies and play them on the tv with vlc, but plex is much better for that. I haven’t used it at all in a couple years.

Now it will be good for someone who likes gaming and travels. I’d assume someone that is that passionate about it has a gaming laptop though, which would also be better than this, although a bit more room to pack. I think some people will find it’s annoying to pack more devices, chargers, etc. though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

I agree for many people , it being forgotten unused quickly. I initially was sour on it. But for my unique position, i don't work at work and have a massive backlog of low graphical quality indie games and the like, many not real time or geared towards controllers anyways. So hoping its good for clearing my backlog.

A labtop is too big and obvious when we nominally are supposed to be staring at nothing so being able to dump it in a bag or drawer is key.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I agree for many people , it being forgotten unused quickly. I initially was sour on it. But for my unique position, i don't work at work and have a massive backlog of low graphical quality indie games and the like, many not real time or geared towards controllers anyways. So hoping its good for clearing my backlog.

A labtop is too big and obvious when we nominally are supposed to be staring at nothing so being able to dump it in a bag or drawer is key.
What kind of job is this? Are you remotely monitored and checked in on to be staring straight ahead at a monitor or something?

Sludig

What kind of job is this? Are you remotely monitored and checked in on to be staring straight ahead at a monitor or something?
Sorta. Overpaid federal security contractor, some places we have to do a decent bit of interacting with public etc, but these days we mainly are sitting in empty buildings.

Working 65 hour weeks average for last 10 months = lot of time on my hands.

spronk

FPS noob
There's a whole 4chan post about an IT dude who has managed to snag 5 jobs each paying like $200k and only working 2-3 hours a week on each job (and almost all of it just attending meetings). lol

one nice reason to keep the steam deck is as a backup gaming PC, its powerful enough to run basic ass games/emulators and can easily hook it up to kbm/monitor if needed. Could just have a laptop or tablet for the same thing but its a nice form factor.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
As someone with huge back log of games on my PC I think the Steam Deck is just what I need. I can see myself getting 20 minutes in here and there due to its accessibility.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Thing is pretty cool but I can't see a use for it unless I did a lot of traveling.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
first wave links should be going out in 3 days

they put up a page which shows all the games in your library that will run on steam dick