Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

spronk

FPS noob
deck came a little early, FedEx said it would be delivered next wed but it arrived today. If you're expecting it don't be away from home, while the box is pretty simple and plain cardboard the label did say STEAM DECK 512GB under the address stuff so any shady people will know its nice. Fortunately we have a delivery lockbox but it woulda sucked if I was out of town.

Easy to setup, slightly bigger than I like but looks great. Gonna spend a few weeks just fucking around with emulators and ROMs and stuff, this was a post I saved that shortcuts a lot of useful stuff to install on steamdeck. I ordered a dock from jsaux about 2 weeks ago and hopefully it ships soon, the steamdeck subreddit has a lot of enthusiasts sharing 3d printed stuff if you are really into that

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just got my order email for 64gb version. Kind of bummed it’s not one of the better models, but still pretty happy.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I fucking trolled myself. I just opened up my email and saw this and got all excited...

1656974314664.png

Then I looked to further to the right and saw this...

1656974339391.png

I totally forgot my kid bought a game earlier today and I gifted it to him.

/sad

• 2Worf

spronk

FPS noob
spent some time and installed windows 11 on my steam deck, I bought a key for $15 from "Digital Chill Mart" based off a reddit post (arrived immediately). Put it on a 512GB microSD card using this guide, was really simple albeit lotta reboots and slow install

you don't need to run the beta version of SteamOS, was able to do it without any real changes. Only bad thing is you don't get by default a virtual keyboard in windows 11 on a steam deck, but going into settings lets you turn it on, or you can just hook it up to a USB hub and attach a regular kbm. I used remote desktop to control the deck and tweak stuff instead. I'd prefer to use SteamOS wherever possible but for game pass, epic games, GOG, etc its nice to have it and its all on my MicroSD card so I can swap it out as needed without taking up any internal space.

Deck is fun so far, haven't installed any emulators or stuff but played Disco Elysium a bit and it ran fantastic.

• 2Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
spent some time and installed windows 11 on my steam deck, I bought a key for $15 from "Digital Chill Mart" based off a reddit post (arrived immediately). Put it on a 512GB microSD card using this guide, was really simple albeit lotta reboots and slow install

you don't need to run the beta version of SteamOS, was able to do it without any real changes. Only bad thing is you don't get by default a virtual keyboard in windows 11 on a steam deck, but going into settings lets you turn it on, or you can just hook it up to a USB hub and attach a regular kbm. I used remote desktop to control the deck and tweak stuff instead. I'd prefer to use SteamOS wherever possible but for game pass, epic games, GOG, etc its nice to have it and its all on my MicroSD card so I can swap it out as needed without taking up any internal space.

Deck is fun so far, haven't installed any emulators or stuff but played Disco Elysium a bit and it ran fantastic.
You install EQ? np

I get my deck Tuesday, and its the eMMC 64gb version. I've heard there is already upgrades I can do to it, but with a big honker mSD card, I don't think I'll mind.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

Do you have to install Windows to install the Epic Game Launcher?

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the steamOS built into the system is linux and Proton emulates Steam (windows) games no problemo, but it can't run GamePass games, Epic Games Store, GOG, etc.
It CAN run all the x86 emulators no problem though. Newer gamepass games that are x86 might end up working under SteamOS eventually too, when people getting around to doing all the right emulation stuff. The UWP stuff (older games) definitely won't work, that requires windows. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually a EGS and GOG client is released for steam deck, should be fairly minimal work.

I got Simpsons Hit and Run from 2003, PC game, running just fine too. Looks awesome, runs great with steam deck controls. Not my video but only took about 15 mins to download, setup (on my regular PC), and then copy the install directory to my Steam deck

emudeck let me install ~15 emulators from PSP, N64, SNES, NES, 3DS etc and I downloaded 2TB of ROMs for all these systems lol. Played a few games like Mario Kart 64 and ran awesome at solid 60 fps, will have to see what I really wanna play and try it out.

• 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I had a dream last night about playing my Steam Deck, woke up disappointed. Fingers crossed for an email tomorrow :D

spronk

FPS noob
my steam deck dock (dick) shipped, will let everyone know how it is when it arrives from china with covid22

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Oh nice, going to order me some COVID (w/ dock) too.

Haven't been playing mine a ton after my last trip, usually because it doesn't have a 'home' and is usually dead when I go to use it. I usually fix that w/ docks (for my controllers, my Switch when I played that, etc).

Still only really played a handful of Steam games and used Xbox Cloud Streaming. Want to circle back and get other streaming stuff done and find some roms to download to play w/ the emulation stuff I'd installed like you did spronk spronk

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I got my deck yesterday. Solid piece. Love that it ships with a carrying case. Set up was simple. I though the buttons would not be comfortable, but was wrong. It feels real good in your hands. It's not heavy, but can see it becoming a bit after long play times.

So far, really impressed.

• 1Like

Jovec

?
Just got my purchase email - reserved the 512GB model on 7/16/2021 around 4:50pm PST. My excitement has waned in the intervening 363 days.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Just got my purchase email - reserved the 512GB model on 7/16/2021 around 4:50pm PST. My excitement has waned in the intervening 363 days.
Why you gotta hurt me Bro?

Kidding, congrats. I am getting more and more jealous lately.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah im super glad i ended up buying one, i haven't played as much as my consoles but the few times i've found myself waiting around for the wife to get ready its far more fun playing on the deck than the switch or reading reddit and just pressing a button and walking away is nice. doesn't hold up too well in direct sunlight (didn't expect it too) but i don't really see it as something to carry around, even though the case is SUPER nice its still to big to just walk around with when i have a phone

the emulators from emudeck.com are fantastic, ive really gotten into playing the metal gear solid games lol

Jovec

?

Haha, so fuck you Valve. Go to buy the damn thing and:

There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

Multiple times, tried a different card to be safe, and now:

It looks like you've been attempting a lot of purchases in the last few hours. Please wait a while before trying again.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Steam deck is pretty sweet. The only complaint is the battery life, but I usually have a plug nearby so not a big deal. In the event I didn't have one, seems a quality power bank can cover 4-5 charges worth of time, so not a big deal.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I got my 512gb today. I really think I'm going to sell it. I can't justify the expenditure right now, especially if I end up using it as little as I do my Switch. I'm hearing a lot about people getting scammed by buyers on Ebay, though. Maybe try Facebook market place.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got my 512gb today. I really think I'm going to sell it. I can't justify the expenditure right now, especially if I end up using it as little as I do my Switch. I'm hearing a lot about people getting scammed by buyers on Ebay, though. Maybe try Facebook market place.
You’re so fuckin old

• 1Worf