<Bronze Donator>
looks great but I think I am done with portables. i just never use them enough

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Aside from my prior questions, that's one other worry, which games I actually like that would be enjoyable on this. Like you arnt playing anything bleeding edge, shooters would be annoying if you are used to being pc master race.

Xerge

<Donor>
Oh you can easily play modern games via stream with this too. Install moonlight - g2g

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So wait, only the top end variant has the anti-glare screen? If true this completely diminishes my enthusiasm.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the top end has the anti-glare but I doubt it'll be that different from just slapping your own screen protector on it. Its LCD, not OLED end of the day. Still, the much bigger and faster storage does make the top end model imo the better "deal", although going from $400 to $650 and then adding another ?? $100, $200 ?? for the dock starts getting "is this really better than just owning a surface tablet".

The big thing is that this thing will be running SteamOS. Its gonna be highly compatible with steam games thanks to Proton, and they are targetting close to 100% compatibility (I think its around 80% now) -- check https://www.protondb.com/ -- but it does mean you'd need to boot into something Windows over USB/flash/etc to run stuff like FF14, Ubisoft games, EA games, Genshin Impact, etc. I'm not sure how emulators and stuff will work either, I assume most have SteamOS/Linux variants.

On the plus side since it should have a browser and stuff you should be able to run xCloud games no problem.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On the one hand, this is awesome. On the other hand, I'd rather spend the $650 upgrading my PC (hello new monitor(s)) because I hardly ever play handheld stuff.

However, by the time this comes out, I think I'll be back working in the office, so I'll have a 2 hour train ride everyday...

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
That is super cool but I don’t think it’s for me.

The games I want to play on PC are KB/M.
All else is going on a console to a OLED.

I never play my switch portable anyway.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
color me skeptical. burn my hands off? mini screen for stuff made to play on fullsize? no kb/m for pc?

idk limited use to me. cool i guess though.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So who’s gonna beat the usual YouTube fucks to ‘top 10 games you MUST have in your steam deck ‘

Kayak

Trakanon Raider
Anyone going to try EQ on this? Since it is on Steam...

Edit: No keyboard will suck, but I'm sure you could bluetooth to a mini keyboard, or find some other way.

Last edited:

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone going to try EQ on this? Since it is on Steam...

Edit: No keyboard will suck, but I'm sure you could bluetooth to a mini keyboard, or find some other way.
Can probably pop in a USB hub and run a kb and mouse that way. It's just a small PC underneath all the steam stuff, can do whatever you want with it.

Fucker

Log Wizard
My thoughts exactly too. Plus, are those haptic pads on the front? Fuck. That. Steam Controller is still the single worst piece of hardware I have ever owned.
The only good thing about the Steam controller was the batteries. Mine came with top of the line Duracell units.

Beyond that, they do have the chops to make good stuff. Hardware wise, their other products were solid; it is just the implementation that sucked.

This is a 4 core 8 thread Ryzen with decent graphics. They already have the software going, so there's not much they can screw up except the joysticks.

spronk

FPS noob
it'll be a pretty amazing emulator monster machine, way better than hacking a switch and way faster than a hacked 3DS. Put supermodel and other retroarch emus on it (all have linux ports so should work great in SteamOS) and 200 gigs of ROMs and you can play shit for days. Plus civilization, diablo 2 remastered, ultima 1-5, wizardry, bards tale, and whatever else older game tickles your pickle. Is that better than a surface tablet though? dunno, about approaching similar prices

of course the day after I hacked my vita, 3ds, and wii u to load hundreds of games on each i never touched the things again

what'll be really fascinating is if someone figures out a way to run half life alyx on a Oculus Quest 2 hooked up to it