Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

Fucker

Log Wizard
This device would be wildly popular here if it came with a coupon for free bifocals.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Personally hard to get excited for this without the ability to dock and use the controllers independently.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Has any Valve hardware aside from their headset not have support pulled within 2 years? Color me skeptical. Looks great...but yeah.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Has any Valve hardware aside from their headset not have support pulled within 2 years? Color me skeptical. Looks great...but yeah.
I mean that shouldn't be too much of a problem, like it won't stop working if they stop production of it, the gamepad still works if you have one, obviously once it breaks it's over so that kinda sucks but ultimately I don't think it's as much of an issue as say, Google pulling the plug on the Stadia and now you can't actually do anything, this will continue to play Steam games and retro games and what not. Will just suck if you can't replace it once it's discontinued and it breaks I guess but eh.

That said, I have very little interest in this. Also the battery is apparently complete ass, which isn't very surprising considering the specs but yeah somewhat defeats the purpose unless you're playing low consumption games(I guess emulated older console stuff would work nicely for that).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Already a laundry list of games not supported. But it is due to anti cheat software not being supported in games like Apex, PUBG, etc - which is fucking laughable because the anti cheat software did jack dick to stop cheating on those games via PC anyway.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I got a PSP when it was originally released and then gave it away to my nephew after taking it on one vacation trip. I am just not a handheld player. And I would rather read on the commute than iPad or phone so call me old school.

I will second/third/infinity the Steam controller being the single worst gaming purchase I have ever made - and it was the track pad that really killed it for me, fucking useless. I will say I am still enjoying my first gen Vive, so Valve isn't COMPLETELY useless on hardware.

Will never purchase this.

And to whomever said they play console to get the big screen action - I cancelled cable almost 2 years ago so my 53" TV is HDMI connected to my laptop and has been my monitor ever since. My laptop became a glorified desktop and I use a wireless kb/m to game. Figure I will just buy a desktop next time around since I don't really need the portability anymore with wireless and bluetooth so prevalent (THE SIGNALS ARE GIVING ME TUMORS!).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
This will be a great item for people wanting to get into pc gaming and can't afford video cards.

No assembly, mobile and it just works. I think this will do really well in that regard.

With that being said I can't imagine picking one up over a tablet with a bigger screen and a controller if you never leave the house.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This will be a great item for people wanting to get into pc gaming and can't afford video cards.

No assembly, mobile and it just works. I think this will do really well in that regard.

With that being said I can't imagine picking one up over a tablet with a bigger screen and a controller if you never leave the house.

Speaking of never leaving the house, drunk gaming weekend next weekend. 23rd through 4am 25th :)

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Some of the retro games aren't even that great, either. A lot of the old school ones ported to Steam were bad, and function terribly.

I tried to play the Mega Man Anniversary Collection the other day, and there was input lag even a blind man could notice.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The concept is great. It’s just like the first nvidia shield. I rarely used it to PC game on though. Used it more for retro games.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
rip. i actually had the chance to reserve, but my ad block prevented the buttons from working, so got this on refresh.

1626454915116.png

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No Gaben, I'm trying to preorder your portable system.

1626455537591.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

ShakyJake

<Donor>
As someone who moved from PC to Consoles because I prefer a 55" Screen to a 27" Monitor...a 7" screen holds no interest to me. Heck I barely play on my iPad aside from Legends of Runeterra because I find 10" too small.

That being said, it's a pretty cool system, and seem to be priced nicely. Of course being able to access your steam library on a portable device is pretty cool.
Same here. It's neat but I personally don't give a shit about handhelds. Even my on my smartphone, I have no games installed. Just not interested in playing games on a tiny screen.

What I AM interested in is a set top box. What the hell happened to the SteamBox? Seems like they slipped into oblivion. But if this handheld is any indication, there is zero reason for a full fledged Steam console to not exist...?