Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fucker

Log Wizard
Has any Valve hardware aside from their headset not have support pulled within 2 years? Color me skeptical. Looks great...but yeah.
They'll get bored with it and forget about it. Valve isn't interested in doing anything beyond charging people 30% to sell their stuff.

spronk

FPS noob
site was pretty fucked for a while, i'm at the back of the short bus since it took about an hour

1626459488899.png

you can go to Sign In to verify the $5 deposit "took"

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What the hell happened to the SteamBox? Seems like they slipped into oblivion.
SteamOS was about as good when Steam Machines were announced as Steam itself was in 2003. Hell, it still doesn't sound great today.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I was able to reserve a 512gb at the 1hr 5min mark. We'll see how long that wait is...

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
When I posted that they had messaging up saying orders available Q1 2022 or something like that.

Now they've changed that again to just the servers are busy.

Edit: I saw this before I got my order in and it changed the first one. Make sure you don't remove it from your cart, got mine in after they changed the page to this.

1626462016775.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Fucking hell first minute I was like nah, but then I think about all the steam games I have and now I'm slamming the order into this bitch as hard as I can.

16097034.jpg

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
wooop.png

I think this will be a big win for steam. The sheer insane number of games I have there make this worthwhile as just a party system you can move easily. Mobile games tend to be such cancer, so having more mobile access to my steam games is a potential mega win in my mind. I'm willing to gamble 650$ on it. Servers were noticeably slammed, but I managed to get my order through on the website by waiting a few mins each step pretty easy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Stave

Potato del Grande
That's just it. I own like 500 Steam games. If this thing will play most of them it is much better than a switch for me. I do have a Surface Pro 5 i7 that I game on sometimes, and a laptop, but those suck for lugging around and opening up to play. If I can just toss this in a bag and bust out PC games once in a while on trips or whatever, that would be a lot more beneficial. Especially if I can get like WoW, FFXIV, R6 Siege, and Diablo 3/4 working on it.

I did end up finally getting the 256gb model reserved which is the one I wanted. I got the 512 reserved on my kids account at 12:05, and the 256gb at 2:13 so we will have to see which one becomes available first.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
This will be a great item for people wanting to get into pc gaming and can't afford video cards.

No assembly, mobile and it just works. I think this will do really well in that regard.

With that being said I can't imagine picking one up over a tablet with a bigger screen and a controller if you never leave the house.

You assume they will be able to supply a ton of them pretty quickly. Pretty big assumption in todays age of microchips.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
You assume they will be able to supply a ton of them pretty quickly. Pretty big assumption in todays age of microchips.

I'm sure the supply chain and scalpers will fuck this thing in the ass. But, it could be a win.

Jovec

?
Just reserved mine. At 10:05am or so it was telling me my steam account was too new and that I would have wait until the 18th (IIRC). Seemed a bit odd since my steam account was created via steam on HL2 CDs. Just randomly tried and it let me reserve, albeit with a Q2 2022 date. Worse thing that happens is that Valves keeps my $5 if something with better specs comes out next year, which is no different than the hundreds Vavle got from me from Steam sales for games I will likely never play I suppose.

• 1Like

Jovec

?
That's just it. I own like 500 Steam games. If this thing will play most of them it is much better than a switch for me. I do have a Surface Pro 5 i7 that I game on sometimes, and a laptop, but those suck for lugging around and opening up to play. If I can just toss this in a bag and bust out PC games once in a while on trips or whatever, that would be a lot more beneficial. Especially if I can get like WoW, FFXIV, R6 Siege, and Diablo 3/4 working on it.

I did end up finally getting the 256gb model reserved which is the one I wanted. I got the 512 reserved on my kids account at 12:05, and the 256gb at 2:13 so we will have to see which one becomes available first.

It's just running Linux. I've played WoW on Linux as recently as last year/BFA. Worked fine.

Obviously no one knows for sure, but it will likely be possible to install your own distro and/or full Windows.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
People are already selling their reservations

• 2Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I reserved the 512 gb version. Actually really looking forward to this.

• 1Solidarity

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I was skeptical, but I basically watch netflix for 12 hours a day at work, might help me work on my game backlog.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Muta from Someordinarygamers dropped a video featuring a similar handheld deck like the steam version and that shit is SEXY.

He was playing Breath of the Wild at 60 fps, Modern Warfare at 60 fps, Resident Evil 2 remake, GTA V online, No mans Sky, Final Fantasy 14 mmo, fucking Death Stranding, PS2 emu games, I cant wait.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tide27

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dont know it's just me aging or what, but playing anything other than some sort of simple game on a handheld just doesn't feel right anymore.

With our switch, we can hook it up to the TV and game for hours, but put it in handheld mode and I just can't enjoy any title on it.

I enjoyed the hell out of the Gameboys , game gears, Sega nomad etc.

Maybe I am just so used to gaming on a 75 inch TV now that anything less just seems subpar. Back in the day a 75inch would be out of a majority of the populations reach, but now you can get pick them up on the clearance racks for a week's worth of unemployment lol.

System sounds amazing though.