Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Seems like you can petition and get the summer sale refunded as Steam bucks. Have not tried myself but might be a free game if you have the time to send a mail.
That’s what I did. They were able to give me the difference in Steam bucks. Not what I really wanted but I’m always buying games off Steam so it’s something I will use.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Got my steam deck and I love it. However, I've noticed the mouse sensitivity on the touchpad thing is WAY WAY too high for me. Is there a way to turn it down? In the settings it's already set to 1x and I can't seem to go lower than that.

Other than that, fucking love the thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Anyone recommend good mods or plugins for it? I downloaded Deckyloader on it so far.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I'm interested in getting one of these. Does anyone know if you could connect it to your phone's hotspot and play Diablo 4 or any other online game? I've tried streaming to the PS5 via my phone in the past and it's connection always told me it needed a wifi connection. Would I run into something similar? I don't see why but just in case. I'm sure the latency would be bad.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm interested in getting one of these. Does anyone know if you could connect it to your phone's hotspot and play Diablo 4 or any other online game? I've tried streaming to the PS5 via my phone in the past and it's connection always told me it needed a wifi connection. Would I run into something similar? I don't see why but just in case. I'm sure the latency would be bad.
Should work fine using phone as a hotspot. Streaming PS5 might need a better connection though.

My PS5 is hard wired and using the house wifi for remote play is great.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Finally upgraded the SSD on my Steam Deck, fairly easy process, the games on my SD card even work still.

spronk

FPS noob
i think someone here bought a ROG ally, apparently the SD card reader is shit and it will destroy microSD cards you put into it, people are having to RMA the entire unit to get it fixed

glad i didn't impulse buy one. i've had a microSD card in my steam deck and zero issues other than the placement of the slot really sucks

• 1Worf

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Docking station on Woot for $20.

1689351686874.png

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Seems like a good deal any major differences from the official dock?

All the docks are pretty similar, this just has no display port vs the official. I have an unofficial that's very similar to this (think spronk spronk and I bought the same one just before the official one was released or made available)

I'd expect most just use it for charging anyways in which case $20 is perfect.

Aazrael

Any good strategy games you can recommend for the Steam Deck? Been playing a bit of Civ6 but would like some more "slow" games to play on the Deck.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
glad i didn't impulse buy one. i've had a microSD card in my steam deck and zero issues other than the placement of the slot really sucks
I don't think its the worst placement in the world, but why they wouldn't put it on the top is beyond me, cause that just is higher IQ.

Aazrael

Really happy with my purchase. Its great for Indy games because the battery last quite a bit longer than "AAA" games.

Also added Emudeck for some Switch gaming. Pokemon and Zelda are not the best performance but it seems they are kinda bad fps on the Switch as well. Played Mario Kart 8 with 60 fps with no problems today.

Running a 1TB SSD and a 512gb MicoSD.

PXL_20230729_111938128~2.jpg

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I dont know much about either of these machines. The smaller screen is hard for me to enjoy most games these days, as I am spoiled with large screens and surround sound. However, I think I wouldnt mind playing MAME emulated games, as well as a few from the PS2-PS3 era...mainly NBA Street and SSX.

Can either of these machines do that in some capacity?

Maul

Dental Dammer
So I dont know much about either of these machines. The smaller screen is hard for me to enjoy most games these days, as I am spoiled with large screens and surround sound. However, I think I wouldnt mind playing MAME emulated games, as well as a few from the PS2-PS3 era...mainly NBA Street and SSX.

Can either of these machines do that in some capacity?
Steam deck is an excellent emulator for mame

Aazrael

PS2 should work fine. PS3 I think might be hit or miss as they seem wierd to emulate due to the PS3 hardware?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
my fave game so far has been Shadow Complex Remastered.

This thing was built for platformer enjoyment

• 1Like

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, bought a Rog Ally. Very frustrating experience so far and a SD is not even a concern.

Downloaded Everspace 2. In the tutorial you have to do a barrel roll. The combinations of button presses do not correlate with any buttons on the screen, so stuck there.

Downloaded Last Epoch. Get to the Char select screen and it says I have to hit the " Xbox " symbol + X at the same time to open the keyboard function. We'll, there is no " Xbox Symbol " button on the Rog Ally at all, and any combination of hitting any button + X doesn't open a keyboard...so can't even create a tool.

Not a fan at all.

• 1Worf

spronk

FPS noob
i wouldn't keep a rog ally too many problems

lenovo is building their own steam deck too, running win 11. they tend to make decent hardware

deck is still the best imo right now because of SteamOS and price

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users