Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
ASUS ROG's deck equivalent (running windows) will apparently sell for $700

not a crazy price for the specs, since the 512gb steam deck is $550. If I played mine every day it would be interesting but I play mine maybe once a month, but it is fantastic to kill an hour or two.

The ROG should be a crazy emu machine with the CPU, GPU, and display.

The announcement for the rog ally is tomorrow at 10am EST. If the price holds I'm definitely picking one up, it's almost as powerful as my 1080 which is insane for a portable. I was going to put together a system to play games with my daughter and this looks like a great alternative to a full system.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Up to 2 hours battery life in performance mode, meaning that’s the absolute best it can do. Oof.

Is the steam deck that bad?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Up to 2 hours battery life in performance mode, meaning that’s the absolute best it can do. Oof.

Is the steam deck that bad?
Yes.

However depends completely on what you're playing.

You can get 6+ hours playing retro games but if you're playing Elden Ring it's going to be closer to 2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
yffL4E0.png

image.png

• 1Like

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I picked one up, most of the time I'm going to have it plugged in, so I'm not overly worried about the battery life.

• 1Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I just got a steamdeck. the ROG looked good, but I forsee worse battery life, and worse overall support long run.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Pre-ordered. Will be grinding out handheld diablo 4 on this.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
After the way Asus has handled their recent catastrophic motherboard failures I definitely wouldn't trust them enough to buy a device like this.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Have the deck coming in a week , have gotten fat af this past year and I’m hoping I can get some good gaming going while sitting on an exercise bike for 3-4hours +. I need help for a list of games to waste my time -
- elden ring
- ???

I’ll probably try poe come next league but arpg on a handheld seems like it would be scuffed af to me, will try it out though , some builds may work

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Have the deck coming in a week , have gotten fat af this past year and I’m hoping I can get some good gaming going while sitting on an exercise bike for 3-4hours +. I need help for a list of games to waste my time -
- elden ring
- ???

I’ll probably try poe come next league but arpg on a handheld seems like it would be scuffed af to me, will try it out though , some builds may work
I think you’d like Last Epoch. Less bullshitty than PoE and can play self found, make up your own builds.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Last Epoch plays really well with gamepad controls too. (Just don't try to play a necro or forge guard.)

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

I'm going to buy something from them just because their site is amazing.

From their phone skins section: "In the future, when keying cars is impossible because nobody's allowed to drive anymore, roving gangs of vandals will break into your home and scratch your electronics. Prepare yourself for this doomsday scenario with our Galaxy S20 skins."

Also:

1684241752776.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have experience with a good power bank on steam deck? I just got mine and it died after less than two hours of elden ring, that’s not gonna cut it

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have experience with a good power bank on steam deck? I just got mine and it died after less than two hours of elden ring, that’s not gonna cut it
You should just be able to go with any 45w+ battery pack, the more mAh the better.

• 1Like