SteamOS

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I've been playing a lot of 3D games on my iPad lately, trying to work out a passable control scheme for an MMO on a touch device. Two track pads is much more intuitive than you might think, and I think having the haptic feedback is the only thing really missing from touch screens.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
I haven't had the chance to mess with a haptic touchscreen. I am guessing it is the key to this whole thing. I've heard its great and really works. Anyone have any experience with haptic devices.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm sure you have Thorne since technically stuff like a N64 Rumble Pack aspprimitive as it was is a haptic thing. But for anything remotely like the SteamOS controller is there anything really out there yet? More than minor haptic feedback on some phones that is, since its clear it won't be like phones.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure you have Thorne since technically stuff like a N64 Rumble Pack aspprimitive as it was is a haptic thing. But for anything remotely like the SteamOS controller is there anything really out there yet? More than minor haptic feedback on some phones that is, since its clear it won't be like phones.
I haven't seen anything like it, no. Which is surprising given how much R&D is put into smart phones. The haptic tech is probably very exclusionary toward display.

Column_sl

shitlord
So how good is streaming a game to a set top box now?

I might be interested in this if the boxes were just dedicated streaming devices, and your server/ Internet connection were doing all the background work.
But if there is tons of lag, then what is the point.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I think the point is that you can connect it through LAN which means there's almost zero lag.

Column_sl

shitlord
I think the point is that you can connect it through LAN which means there's almost zero lag.
Yeah, but that's just the connection part of it. I'm more concerned in the performance from the streaming to the box no matter what connection you have.
It's essentially an RDP, and they are just not there yet.

Your TV alone is going have some input lag, and if the box makes it worse then it would be unplayable for allot of games.

I guess this is why they are coming up with there own OS to solve allot of these problems.
If the box can be priced around the 75-100 dollar range then it would be worth looking into.

I probly wouldn't buy anyones launch boxes till people test the fuck out of it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So how good is streaming a game to a set top box now?

I might be interested in this if the boxes were just dedicated streaming devices, and your server/ Internet connection were doing all the background work.
But if there is tons of lag, then what is the point.
I'm also really hesitant to believe that streaming an FPS game from another PC to the steam box will be that enjoyable even if it's connected via a GB switch. I guess I'm just used to the performance of vnc et all which is not sufficient.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
rrr_img_44730.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
"If I had asked people for what they wanted,
U-force.jpg

They would have said faster horses."
-Henry Ford

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Haha. The uforce is something not even a mother could love. I'm hopeful for the steam controller though. I think what they describe could work very well.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I'm wait and see on it. I just saw that picture and had to post it. It made me lol.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I would've used Virtual Boy, personally.
Virtual Boy-03.jpg

My back and neck ache just looking at the thing.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The way they're collecting deeply personal developer feedback about games that people who like real video games play actually makes... makes... makes me think that Valve really cares about video games? This is weird. What am I feeling?