SteamOS

Sean_sl

shitlord
Microsoft weighs in on Valves living room strategy, admits Windows gaming should be like Steam (interview) | GamesBeat

"Valve is right down the street from us," Spencer noted. "They've done a great job of keeping the PC ecosystem strong at a time where I don't mind saying that we could have been more focused on what was going on in PC gaming."

Windows gaming is the other major digital games platform with the Windows App Store, which first appeared with the rollout of Windows 8 in August 2012. But Spencer admits that Microsoft has neglected PC gaming, even going so far as to say that it should've been creating their platform in Steam's likeness.

"We were probably too focused purely on console," Spencer admitted. "With Steam, [Valve has] done an amazing job of building this thing that, in a lot of ways, we should have been building as well at Microsoft."

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, Iassumethe OS will be pretty moddable, being a Linux variant and all (don't think Valve will lock it down in any way), just more wondered on thespecificsof it.
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/_sl said:
Can I download the OS to try it out?
You will be able to download it (including the source code, if you're into that) but not yet.
If you want an expanded version of SteamOS that also has a regular desktop environment, all you need to do is be patient. It'll happen; and when it does you'll have have all the "popular" Linux programs (like VLC for example) available in their package manager. Yeah, that's not really very specific...

SteamOS is Linux with some things removed, some things added, and some things customized. The new and customized parts aren't going to stop good Linux developers from re-adding all the parts that have been removed. It may slow them down, but it won't stop them from creating custom versions of SteamOS that are as full-featured of an OS as your typical Linux distro.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, Iassumethe OS will be pretty moddable, being a Linux variant and all (don't think Valve will lock it down in any way), just more wondered on thespecificsof it.

Seems pretty silly to be launching something so barebones.Basicmedia shit like Netflix is pretty important, especially for a box that they want to sit in front of people's TVs and potentially replace consoles with. Hell, these things don't even have DVD or BR drives. Maybe they just assume people will all have SmartTVs that have those functions built in anyways?
It's open source. Any steamOS I use I'll probably have root access to. And if I wanted to recompile the kernel I probably could.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Android is also "open source" but nigh unsuable without closed source Google apps ...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
yeah my assumption is that all the cool SteamOS shit will be open source and not just the kernel. If they start adding closed source systems to it that are critical then they've lost the point.

supposedly they aren't, thankfully, using ubuntu, not that i imagined they would.
vrwise higher fps and lower display latency matters... which seems to be some of their intents with their modded os.
i wanna see some type of non mpeg interpolation work going on and also some standardized hrtf options for their openvr in steam

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
rrr_img_49212.jpg

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Android is also "open source" but nigh unsuable without closed source Google apps ...
Although Android is technically a Linux OS, it's a very large deviation from the *nix standards that Linux distros typically stick pretty close to. The same tactics that Google uses to maintain its status as the one and only 500lb gorilla on the Android platform are simply not going to work on a true *nix platform. I don't actually think that the first official release of SteamOS is going to be a *nix system at all, but they are forced to stick pretty close to those standards nonetheless, if only to maintain compatibility with all of their currently Linux compatible games. The fact that they're using off the shelf PC hardware (for the foreseeable future) is another strong indicator that Valve is probably not going to rock the boat by making SteamOS incompatible with the *nix design whose coattails they're planning on riding to great success.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You have to remember also that they are building on a platform where they are required to be open source because of GPL.

Google doesn't have to do any of that with the OS that they made they made up their own licensing.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
"We were probably too focused purely on console," Spencer admitted. "With Steam, [Valve has] done an amazing job of building this thing that, in a lot of ways, we should have been building as well at Microsoft."
Either he's just pretending GFWL didn't happen or this quote gives some real insight into that disaster. Microsoft failed taking on Valve on their home turf (a turf Microsoft lost in the first place due to negligence), so I really have to wonder what those at the top are thinking about Valve now encroaching on their territory, particularly since part of that is pushing a different OS.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I really haven't looked into this but unless a game has a Linux port made, how will you be playing your library of windows/osx games on this? Will it have built in emulation?

presumably, steamos is for native linux games only. ..eventually though i imagine you coudl use wine on a modded distro. also i think you can stream games from another comp. i'm interested in their prototype vrhmd they are going to show that's (expected) to be techviable in a few years time (some time after oculus).

maybe by then steamos will have estabilished itself and ati will come up with steam-certified drivers. as much as i am looking forward to oculus.. i might skip the first generation

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
lol ... without the ability to bring your library with you this is a waste of money. Steam built itself on buying cheap GOOD games later on for win/osx.

regret_sl

shitlord
I imagine a decent chunk of devs will hop aboard the SteamOS train and some will even go back and make a compatible executable. I'd expect a lot of support going forward for new games.