SteamOS

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Gabe has stated a bunch of times that he really dislikes the apple app store and how closed off it is, and has a lot of problems with the direction Windows is going and how it's gravitating towards the Apple app store experience. I honestly don't see him inhibiting any other stores from working with it, or preventing any game from supporting it but not releasing through Steam. If they're willing to cooperate with other companies and share the cost, I don't think it's too far fetched to see an Origin store that works on SteamOS rather than OriginOS.
Right. However, what he is saying now, what we want and what will ultimately materialize as SteamOS and SteamBox can and probably will be different things.

The optimist in me sees all the positive things that doing the "right" thing will do for gaming. The pessimist in me sees all the ways Valve can milk more money from their Steam platform.

Only time will tell...

Cor_sl

shitlord
From the FAQ -

Can I download the OS to try it out?
You will be able to download it (including the source code, if you're into that) but not yet.

Can I hack this box? Run another OS? Change the hardware? Install my own software? Use it to build a robot?
Sure.
It looks like Valve are trying to emulate Google's Android strategy. They're building the software and pushing hardware vendors to release their own hardware to run it. I'm sure companies like Dell, HP, etc. will build their own Steam Machines, but it's possible that companies like Samsung and LG might get in on the action too. Should be interesting.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Right. However, what he is saying now, what we want and what will ultimately materialize as SteamOS and SteamBox can and probably will be different things.

The optimist in me sees all the positive things that doing the "right" thing will do for gaming. The pessimist in me sees all the ways Valve can milk more money from their Steam platform.

Only time will tell...
Valve has earned enough good will with Steam that I think they deserve some benefit of the doubt.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, remember it's a privately owned corporation so he can do whatever the fuck he wants with no shareholders to hold him accountable. He could sell steam for billions if he wanted money.
The same shareholders also demand a new FIFA, NFS, CoD, Madden to release every year to keep the money rolling. They also wanted some of the most idiotic DRM schemes as piracy protection. I think Gaben stated that he would rather kill the company than sell it. Valve is mentioned as having more profit per employee than Google or Apple and that they manage to double that number annually for the past few years. Of course, nobody can see their numbers, but I think they are correct, because Steam IS PC gaming. Once you put these things into perspective the picture of Gaben leading pc gaming as a god doesn't seem so far fetched, even though I doubt the guy actually does little else but reply to funny emails all day.

They are more profit oriented than most AAA companies I think. TF2, Dota 2 and the fact that they included cosmetics in Portal 2 leads me to believe that they didn't release Episode 3 not because it wouldn't begood enough, but because it wouldn't makeenough money. TF 2 made money hand over fist and let them unlock the whole F2P market all big developers scoffed at until then (the other game was LoL). Dota is the same thing, they just applied all the lessons from TF2. Half life 3 is something that many gamers look forward to not because it will be a good game, but because it will remind people that Valve is a game developer they want it to be, not a publisher and seller of virtual hats, even though that avenue is more profitable...

I don't think they will announce any games, it will be a controller.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I for one think this SteamOS is going to be huge and good for the community and I look forward to it.
I definitely think it has the possibility to be "big", but I really don't think it'll be "huge". I know that's really bullshit semantics on my part and shit, but I think people should be more cautiously optimistic than super excited. It's also probably going to take a while for this to build up steam (don't throw tomatoes at me) and it probably won't hit its stride until well into this next console generation, maybe even not until the end of it.

I really do wonder how EA is going to react to this. Will they cave and do SteamOS releases or continue on with Origin? Will Blizzard ever jump on board? How about all the MMO makers?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I definitely think it has the possibility to be "big", but I really don't think it'll be "huge". I know that's really bullshit semantics on my part and shit, but I think people should be more cautiously optimistic than super excited. It's also probably going to take a while for this to build up steam (don't throw tomatoes at me) and it probably won't hit its stride until well into this next console generation, maybe even not until the end of it.

I really do wonder how EA is going to react to this. Will they cave and do SteamOS releases or continue on with Origin? Will Blizzard ever jump on board? How about all the MMO makers?
Nah huge and big are good enough to not be semantics.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't think they will announce any games, it will be a controller.
I disagree, only because the division inside the company that was creating the revolution in controllers was laid off and the property they were developing handed off to them to pursue it on their own. A new control mechanism coupled with the new SteamMachine is just too much new shit and dilutes the message. Source 2 engine that has some revolutionary new licensing mechanism and excellent tools built around it and geared towards working with SteamOS but being cross system compatible would be a pretty decent announcement. Of course to properly show off the the new engine you'd need a game built in it and be able to tout numbers on how easy it is to use and develop for, so I'm betting it's a new engine+Valve game.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I haven't read through every possible article dissecting all of the details...but is SteamOS being presented as a replacement for windows, or just as a compliment to windows? Personally, I don't want 2 PCs and I don't want to have to dual-boot either and have to switch OSes between gaming and web browsing/productivity stuff. As a multi-monitor user, I often game while doing other things, there's no chance I'm using a PC operating system that doesn't give me access to my Chrome web browser, or dvd burning software, or whatever else it may be while I'm also gaming.

Just how far-reaching to we expect this SteamOS to be? Are games just the beginning towards a full Windows alternative? Has there been any mention of non-gaming programs on the Steam OS?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Replacement OS for Windows, yes.

It is a build your own console that is 100% open source so somebody could easily compile a browser or whatever into it if it doesn't come in there by default.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/25/va...ew-controller/

With two of Valve's three big "living room" announcements already in the books, there's a chance that the third one, due Friday, revolves around a controller for its SteamOS-based Steam Machines hardware. Among the hardware's beta program eligibility forms is an agreement all beta testers must abide by, which states that Valve "has developed and produced prototypes of entertainment system hardware and software, including a set-top box running custom software and a game controller."

Valve's Steam Machines FAQ also addresses the hardware's to-be-revealed controller, noting that the hardware's various forms will be compatible with mouse and keyboard controls, and that the company will "have some more to say very soon on the topic of input."

Now that we know the Steam Machines' controller exists, we can start cooking up predictions on what it will look like. Our guess: It will have three analog joysticks.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just because something is open source doesn't necessarily mean it is more vulnerable then closed source. The majority of the web already runs on Linux as well as the web servers(Apache, Nginx, etc).

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Completely open source? Hacks incoming?
I'm sure it will have VAC baked into it hardcore.

I do like the idea of a "build your own console".

What I think of Gaben Corp right now:

tumblr_li30anSID81qhm3ajo1_500.gif

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Completely open source? Hacks incoming?
Nah. The games won't be open source, just the OS. And open source games don't mean you can build your own software and play on servers. Typical online games perform different types of checks of the content/executables to ensure people aren't cheating.