Stellaris

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Damn it. This thread is making the itch return. Time to play it some more.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
AFAIK no release date has been set. Other players are speculating as long as April, since that will be the 2 year anniversary and it would be cool if the 2.0 update hits by then.

My guess at the earliest we would see it would be mid-February

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
So how the heck do you win this game? How does federations work?
I picked it up and the first try was horrendous, I kept running out of influence with the human conquest guys, then said fuck it went with human democratic, and the infusion of influence every 4 years is very nice.

Is it normal to run energy deficits on mid-late game? What is a good fleet size? 200-300?

You win the game by conquering 100% of the galaxy or controlling 60% of colonizable planets in a Federation or owning 40% of colonizable planets.

Federations need to be first researched in the diplomacy tree through Unity points. Then, you set one up through the diplomacy window

Are you blowing your influence on stupid shit like planetwide edicts, election influencing, lots of frontier outposts or hiring lots of unnecessary leaders? Influence deficit shouldnt be a problem if youre managing it prudently. I basically use influence only to colonize planets and maybe build 1-2 frontier outposts to claim some real estate if I think that the AI is going to colonize some shit I want.

I wouldnt say Energy deficits are normal, but to make sure you dont have any - that requires long term planning from early stages and a fairly clear idea of what your game strategy will be (are you just going to Hitler everyone and go all out war or are you going to try build a federation, play diplomacy games, etc. war will require lots of credits). Basically, if you hit serious deficits its pretty hard to reverse them because it starts turning into feedback loop, it takes long time to turn them around, and you might run out of credits before fixing the issue. First thing I look is where the drain is coming from. A lot of the time it will be due to building a lot of ships in preparation for a war, and then the war dragging on much longer than expected. If you cant reduce the expenditures and find places to cut costs, you can trade away credits for minerals to friendly empires at almost a 1:1 to ratio practically in perpetuity as a quick stopgap solution, you can also drain sector surpluses (75% of entire surplus for 100 influence points. 25 points if you didnt start the war) - but the long term solution usually involves picking 10-20% planets that you own that already produce high levels of credits, gutting everything on those planets that isnt producing energy (unity buildings, mineral mines and silos, farms, labs, etc.) and replacing everything with power plants, upgrading those plants to the max, and then adding the energy modifier buildings like energy nexus which increases planetwide production by 20%

Fleet size isnt dependent on number of ships, but rather on their "battle score". Fleet power will also vary based on the size of the galaxy due to less resources, less planets, less starbases and thus less naval capacity. So a 10K fleet might be as big as you can go on a small map but on a huge map you'll probably have multiple 100K fleets. So there isnt an optimal fleet size or score other than the bigger battle score fleet typically crushes the lower battle score fleet even if the difference isnt that large

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Ty Ara.
My initial game was with the military human, influence there was hard, also because it was my first game. The second human race, the democratic one, gets an influence of influence every four years, with the presidential mandate. So by just expanding and building I fulfill the mandate and boom easy influence.

For early expansion I'm having more success with frontier expanding than with planet expansion. I disable the inner frontiers after I have expanded my borders a second time.

I read you barely need frontiers, but I'm having problem not relying on them.

What is a good colonization strategy?

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
At the start of the game I'd say focus colonizing areas near you that have other star systems nearby with addition energy/minerals/3-5 research or if the planet you can colonize have stuff like beltharion ore (10+ energy on a single pop) or are overall high in 2-3 nodes. I might wait on colonizing the perfect planet right next to your homeworld if a slightly worse one would net you more area. You can save a bunch of influence by taking expansion tradition that lowers the influence cost on range-from-capital. Personally I don't like playing democracies because the mandate can be "build research stations" which are not a priority at the very beginning and there might not even be 4 of them to build near your first 2 colonies, also the voting system is stupid and might make your important research leader or admiral the president if you don't have the influence to spam the correct leader to be chosen.

Frontiers outpost are great at grabbing clusters of stars for multiple reasons:
-reserving planets for later
-resources
-blocking star-lanes
-blocking neighbors expansion (check their native planet type and fuck over their initial colonization, there's always big planets of their own type near their homeworld)

Same tradition that lowers the influence cost on colonies does the same for frontier outposts, and the following tradition lowers their influence maintenance from 1 to 0.5. You can also save a little bit of energy by putting the outpost on a black hole/neutron star, you get the research without having to build the base.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Ty Ara.
My initial game was with the military human, influence there was hard, also because it was my first game. The second human race, the democratic one, gets an influence of influence every four years, with the presidential mandate. So by just expanding and building I fulfill the mandate and boom easy influence.

For early expansion I'm having more success with frontier expanding than with planet expansion. I disable the inner frontiers after I have expanded my borders a second time.

I read you barely need frontiers, but I'm having problem not relying on them.

What is a good colonization strategy?

I used to have influence problems all the time until I realized that you will never gain more than 5 influence points per turn even at your best, so you better ration it wisely. So I tend to use influence only as much as needed and typically thats recruiting leaders, colonizing planets and sometimes I will have 1 empire edicts running (one of the tech grants that gives a 20% bonus for research)

I play a 5 Core strategy which basically is a rush to colonize 5 planets as fast as possible, build up your fleet to keep enemies at bay and set yourself up for the mid game.
I break up my first 3 Corvettes into separate fleets and have them scout all the star systems around me for planets. Typically I can scout 20-30 star systems in first 2-3 months. At the same time I have my science ship survey home system, while I immediately start building 2nd science ship on 1st turn. By now 1st ship finishes surveying home system, 2nd ship finishes building - now I can send them directly to star systems where corvettes found planets and see whats habitable. This saves you a ton of time from blindly surveying nearby systems. Corvettes keep fanning out and searching more systems for planets. At this point you probably have 500 minerals, start building first colony ship. Only make improvements on homeworld to keep unemployed pops working (could be minerals, farms or energy whatever needed, but no research buildings). You want to maximize minerals yield right now so you can crank out your 5 colony ships and start applying surpluses to building planetary buildings, warships, making upgrades, etc. Also, dont build any mining or research stations in space, you dont break even typically for 3+ years at this point so you're not in position to make those investments yet.

From the beginning I adopt Traditions in this order to minimize credit expenditure and maximize colonization and growth speed, this will probably take a few years
Expansion adoption +100% Colony development speed
Supremacy adoption +20% Border range
Harmony adoption +25% Growth speed

After a year, your first colony ship is finished building. You probably found 2-3 habitable planets by now, pick what you think is best one, either by size or habitability. The further away the better to check the expansion of other empires. Go colonize it, start building another colony ship right away. You should be making enough minerals (500+ a year) at this point to keep colony ships constantly producing 1 at a time until you make 5 and colonize 5 planets. In the mean time, research tech that will help you maximize planetary yields so Mine II, Farm II, Power Plant II, etc. Gradually build up your military fleet, keep regularly checking the diplomacy screen to check the relative strength of your opponents power (see screenshot below) to see if they are outpacing you in military strength and offer everyone a non aggression pact to get some breathing room. You can also guarantee independence of states that are further away from others so they are less likely to get into an early war, that helps you get your diplomacy score up early with them and set up a non aggression pact and research agreements. Research agreements are also really important as they can boost your tech research 25-50%. Discontinue independence guarantees as you get closer to mid game so you dont get sucked into someone else's war. I also trade star charts with friendly states to minimize exploration/surveying time to find habitable planets. Keep doing all the quests in the mean time too, its an easy way to pick up minerals, energy, influence, etc.

upload_2018-1-8_23-13-39.png

So just keep doing this, now you'll start seeing some energy and mineral surpluses. Start looking around for high yield space resources (4 minerals or 4 energy) to see where you can go send your constructor ship and build stations over them.

Basically thats what I do. Then I typically just build up during mid game, wait for a war to break out around me, so I can join in and attack whos likely going to lose and pick off a bunch of planets for myself. Then beat up on smaller empires around me and take more planets, then get ready for the final slugfest with the final empire whos probably same size as me by the point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Onigen

I also trade star charts with friendly states to minimize exploration/surveying time to find habitable planets.

I basically do the opposite of this. Open up with Discovery tradition to get the +15% chance to discover anomalies (also -10% chance to fail) and follow up with full expansion (usually supremacy after that for midgame warfare) and I -never- trade star charts because you lose all the chances for anomalies that way. There's just too many great rewards from them and I'm pretty sure you don't share them with other races 'cause I've found anomalies from systems that have been surveyed by others but not yet yourself.

• 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I basically do the opposite of this. Open up with Discovery tradition to get the +15% chance to discover anomalies (also -10% chance to fail) and follow up with full expansion (usually supremacy after that for midgame warfare) and I -never- trade star charts because you lose all the chances for anomalies that way. There's just too many great rewards from them and I'm pretty sure you don't share them with other races 'cause I've found anomalies from systems that have been surveyed by others but not yet yourself.

Yeah I can see that. I dont spend unity points on Discovery tradition though and my surveying is 100% focused on supporting my expansion. I adopt the first 3 traditions I mentioned and then go hardcore into "Prosperity" and then get all 5 traditions there and close it out to build an economic base for mid game. I dont like the rest of the "Expansion" tradition after adopting it for border range increases because it focuses on frontier outposts and I dont heavily rely on those, so it feels kinda wasteful. Plus I dont normally have influence point issues so a lot of those are moot to me too.

Anyways, turns out they are removing star charts in upcoming update

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the tips. I never thought of scouting with corvettes.

I usually lose 1-2 in the process to some uber powered aliens or pirates, but to me thats a justifiable cost when the alternative is to blindly and slowly survey nearby systems with science vessels.

Onigen

Yeah you never want to scout with science ships. Hurts much less to lose a 100 mineral corvette than a 4-5 star science leader to some random 2k pirate fleet that happens to linger at the edge of a system or a Stellar Drake that one-shots you from across the whole system before you can even think about jumping back. If I'm playing a warlike or a hive-mind/gestalt consciousness I tend to avoid scouting too far as it's the same as Civ games, people only hate your guts if they know about your atrocities (some of the Fallen Empires really take offense easily).

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
The trick to the Democratic influence is just to dis-assemble 4 stations and then rebuild them. It is a bug but whatever. Or worse case, keep 4 stations without upgrades, then build them get credit and then disable them.

• 1Like

Grez

Trakanon Raider
The trick to the Democratic influence is just to dis-assemble 4 stations and then rebuild them. It is a bug but whatever. Or worse case, keep 4 stations without upgrades, then build them get credit and then disable them.

Cheeky bastard.

I wish they'd copy Rome Total War's senate missions, instead of this build 4 stations bullshit. IMO, each government type should be giving their own flavor of influence-awarding quests.

Onigen

Maybe a late-game wormhole generator? They're removing WH's as a choice for travel from start and adding stable precursor gates that you can repair and use to jump from one edge of the galaxy to another (I sorta remember MOO2 having such things also), stands to reason you might be able to create your own at some point maybe.

Btw they're removing corvette-exploration in the Cherryh-update also. Other big changes include bigger impact on space stations and some changes to ground combat, they also will add Titan-class ship. The lead developer on that tweet above updates and teases stuff pretty often if you're interested.

Last edited:

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Expansion reveal, sounds badass and all but I really wish they'd expand diplomacy. This is pretty much the opposite of that :p

Stellaris: Apocalypse will let you kill planets

Edit: For the juicy bits I guess

World Cracker: Shatters a planet, leaving behind a broken debris field that can be mined for resources. Available to non-Pacifists.
Global Pacifier: Encases the planet in an impenetrable shield, permanently cutting it off from the rest of the galaxy. A research station can be built to study the planet afterwards.
Neutron Sweep: Destroys most higher forms of life on the planet but leaves the infrastructure intact for colonization. Available to non-Spiritualist, non-Pacifist empires.
God Ray: Converts all organic Pops on the planet to spiritualist and destroys all machine/synthetic pops, as well as massively increasing spiritualist ethics attraction on the planet for a time. Available to Spiritualist empires.
Nanobot Dispersal: Assimilates all Pops on the planet, causing it to defect to your empire with its newly cyborgized population. Only available to Driven Assimilators (and thus requires Synthetic Dawn as well).

• 1Like