Stellaris

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is that new content coming pay wall or free? Got the game from gshurik but hasn't played yet, debating waiting if there's a major change coming.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is that new content coming pay wall or free? Got the game from gshurik but hasn't played yet, debating waiting if there's a major change coming.

A lot of it will be locked behind a DLC. Paradox is notorious for their many many DLCs for their games.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
All of the new ships and whatnot will be DLC. The change to ship travel and balancing will be free.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Is the Cherryh update then rolled into the Apocalypse expansion?

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Yeah the way Paradox does DLCs is - free content is balance, system reworks, adding more flavor to the world, etc. paid (DLC) stuff is basically new content: ie, new game systems, more story, etc. Each time a DLC comes out, everyone gets something, and those that want to expand the content from the base game can do so by purchasing the DLC.

I actually like the way Paradox handles their games from a consumer standpoint, though a lot of people are critical of it. You get to decide on each DLC if you want it or not, and the game is fully functional (though, might be a little sparse on content) with just the base game.

I think where Paradox could be better though, is packaging all of their old DLC (2+ years old) for a decent price. Like getting into EU4 likely costs a few hundred bucks, to get every functional content DLC for example, when it should only cost like, 100 or so bucks (base game + last 2 DLCs or something + gold pack that includes all DLC 2+ years old or something).

Edit - so in regards to Cherryh, a lot of the updates we've seen from Paradox are actually balance changes (which are free). Like both the hyper-lane rework and the fleet designer rework both look like free content to me

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Ive been playing in Ironman mode to get Steam achievements and been struggling. Usually some fuckface with twice the size of my fleet will storm in and beat the shit out of me like 30 years in.

Been wondering what i've been doing wrong and came upon these 2 guides:
Stellaris beginners guide • r/Stellaris
New player. Base game no DLC. Enemies keep showing up with 7-8K strength fleets while I am still struggling to field a 2K fleet. I need good tutorials. Help? • r/Stellaris

Tried them out and had a really tremendous improvement on my development and so forth. If you're struggling with beginning and expansion - check them out, they are really good. One of the big game changers (and i was kinda thinking about this for a while but wasnt bold enough to try) is to actually build monuments as the first building on each planet (including the home planet when you begin) so you can immediately can start harvesting unity points for traditions, it might not seem like a lot, but 30 years in, you'll be able to get like 8 traditions, where normally you'd get like 2, maaaybe 3 if you didnt build any.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I agree with you Z Zajeer , they need to basically do what Blizzard does with WoW and basically just view everything older than 2 expansion to be the "base" game. I doubt they'd lose much on it. Those who don't by the current expansion right away probably will not buy it until a summer/winter sale so just lump all the old ones together and sell it for $15 or $20.

Rime

<Donor>
Paradox will never give 100% DLC for a purchase bundle. MAYBE they will do the base game, plus 2 or 3 of the bigger DLCs. But all those cosmetics and small story bundles is where they make their bank.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Paradox will never give 100% DLC for a purchase bundle. MAYBE they will do the base game, plus 2 or 3 of the bigger DLCs. But all those cosmetics and small story bundles is where they make their bank.
Wait people actually pay for that shit?

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Sure do! Look at other Paradox games. About half of the DLC they put out is game-play changes/expansion stuff. Other half is cosmetic/fluff.
Yeah but why would you buy the cosmetic stuff? Like in EU4 they have the unit packs. You're always zoomed out so far you can't even see the units. So wtf?

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
You're lying to yourself if you think you don't need to play CK2 properly.

Ps I have that but I swear it was part of a pack on sale or something.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I agree with you Z Zajeer , they need to basically do what Blizzard does with WoW and basically just view everything older than 2 expansion to be the "base" game. I doubt they'd lose much on it. Those who don't by the current expansion right away probably will not buy it until a summer/winter sale so just lump all the old ones together and sell it for $15 or $20.

I'm still playing the base game since I took a year break when all those DLCs and expansions came out. I didnt want to buy all 2 or 3 at $20 a pop, so I'm waiting for them to bundle all that shit together as much as possible then I'll buy it when i buy Apocalypse in 2 weeks.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Oh sorry, I didn't mean the cosmetic stuff - I just mean the gameplay DLCs.

Like can you imagine playing EU4 without spending mana on development? That feature isn't in the base game - yet it feels integral to the game at this point. Imo, 2+ year old gameplay DLCs should just package into the base game. Its what other strategy developers (such as Firaxis) do, especially since EU4, CK2, Stellaris etc are similar to civ games - that first or 2nd DLC usually takes a game from average/good to great.

Actually you know what, I think maybe they should package their old cosmetic DLC. I sure as heck not buying Mongol faces (no offense to my Mongol bros - Kublai4Pres!), but I might buy a pack that has like, all faces from all cultures in it. I'm a huge fan of Paradox (I've been posting about CK2/EU4 since the start really) but even I won't throw money at superfluous stuff like art. Maybe I would if it was packaged into like 1-2 bundles though.

Rime

<Donor>
I agree with you on that. A few years after release, they should package the cosmetic DLCs.

But this is Paradox and everyone should know their business style by now.

velk

Trakanon Raider
If they are going to do cash whoring then cosmetic stuff seems fine to me - better than having DLC with one overpowered unit or useful feature and a bunch of fluff.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I just wait for a big sale to grab the dlc usually except the last 1 or 2 you can get for like 70% off once a year

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Im sure someone will make a mod quickly to add back warp and wormholes.