Stellaris

khalid

Unelected Mod
Please keep any SJW and racist comments out of this thread. Doesn’t matter if you feel those issues are in the game or not, discuss those issues in their appropriate thread.

This. Grow the fuck up, warnings given to the worst two posts.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think I understand this game at all. I thought I was doing well by colonizing new worlds and building up my industry, fleet capacity and upgrading my ships to make sure they have the best technology, but I just can't beat anyone in a battle if we are on equal terms. I can stomp smaller, weaker empires but I can't fight a peer-to-peer war.

Also, most of the wars that get declared on me are by alliances of two or more other civilizations. And it's usually for some bullshit like, "stop genociding people!" Which doesn't make sense when I am spiritualist xenophiles who welcome everyone with open arms.

Anyone know any streamers that are filthy at this game? I feel like if I watch them and do what they do I might get better. I did that with Hoi4.

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone know any streamers that are filthy at this game? I feel like if I watch them and do what they do I might get better. I did that with Hoi4.

Haven't watched this guy for a long time but looks like he's been streaming multiple full games since synthetic dawn release. All he does is play paradox games so one could assume he's atleast decent on it.
Twitch

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ridas

Pay to play forum
A short question about DLCs. I bought the game back when it released and never bought any of the follow up content. When I read the feature list of Utopia, I can already do most of it in the default game.

What DLCs are worth a buy and add new content?

Rime

<Donor>
A short question about DLCs. I bought the game back when it released and never bought any of the follow up content. When I read the feature list of Utopia, I can already do most of it in the default game.

What DLCs are worth a buy and add new content?

Utopia introduces Megastructures, Ascendancy Perks, new government types - Lots going on in this one, the only one I would say is a 'must have'.

Leviathans adds mini-boss monsters scattered in the galaxy. Mid-game tough, provide unique techs/special planets/buildings when defeated. Enclaves - NPCs who will give you buffs for credits/convert minerals and credits to the other. War in Heaven - Fallen Empires 'wake up' and will go to war against each other (if more than one FE on the map) or just decide to enslave/genocide/absorb everyone else on the map.

Synthetic Dawn lets you play as a robot empire from the start - Utopia adds a way to turn your empire into cyborgs/robots, but it takes 50-100 years to do so. Other than that, just a few government types/portraits.

Plantoids adds plant race, ships, and portraits - perfectly skippable, unless you are vegan or something.

Listed in order of 'best to worst' return on your dollar.

Edited: Explained what each one does.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Thanks Rime. Itching to play again and it is on sale right now. I guess my Sunday plans are set.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

I just got the bundle with everything on steam because it's pretty cheap atm.

Question about being an exterminatus warmonger. I tend to run into severe influence issues when I go all out space terrorism. I hate reading guides and tutorials because it takes a lot of the mystery of the game away, but any quick tips you guys might give me on generating influence? It seems to be the one stat in the game I don't quite get, which is pretty good considering how many damn stats there are.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Also, most of the wars that get declared on me are by alliances of two or more other civilizations. And it's usually for some bullshit like, "stop genociding people!" Which doesn't make sense when I am spiritualist xenophiles who welcome everyone with open arms.

You probably took some land against hivemind people. I think that conquered hivemind citizens are auto ovened. Confused me too.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Question about being an exterminatus warmonger. I tend to run into severe influence issues when I go all out space terrorism. I hate reading guides and tutorials because it takes a lot of the mystery of the game away, but any quick tips you guys might give me on generating influence? It seems to be the one stat in the game I don't quite get, which is pretty good considering how many damn stats there are.

If you're draining it with stations, the expansion tradition halving their upkeep is pretty huge. You may have to look into just not running a ton of policies either if it's that. If it's not one of those two I'll need more details.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Oh also regarding the racism, Steam Workshop :: Undiverse Humanities lets you break out the human phenotype by sex and/or race, eg you can do a caucasian only Poland into space + a male only ISIS + like an asian female only... whatever the hell you want. Mod has no visible racist undertones etc and isn't biased; it just breaks down all the options into their components.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist

If you’re not playing a hive mind or a machine civilization you will have factions form based on your actions in the game. The factions will represent one of your civs ethics...so you’ll have political movements sprout that support fascism another for religion or whatever. The amount of population within a faction and the degree that your policies make them happy affect how much influence those factions generate for you.

The factions will be accessible on the quickbar to the right and you can see what actions will increase or lower their support for your empire. The higher their support the more influence they’ll generate for you per month. There are civics and techs built around optimizing influence generated by those factions.

You don’t really need to google up the faction system, but you should mouse around the faction UI to see how to optimize them to your benefit.

Last edited:

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I don't think I understand this game at all. I thought I was doing well by colonizing new worlds and building up my industry, fleet capacity and upgrading my ships to make sure they have the best technology, but I just can't beat anyone in a battle if we are on equal terms. I can stomp smaller, weaker empires but I can't fight a peer-to-peer war.

Couple of things:

1. Send a scout or a couple of frigates towards the enemy fleet, hold your main fleet back, and find out what type of ships and load outs your opponent has then upgrade your main fleet to deal with their fleet. If they have missiles then you need a lot of Point Defense, if they are all shields then make sure you're running lasers, if they're light on shields but have armor then Kinetics.
2. Bigger is not always better. In the early to mid game you more than likely don't have the +bonus to tracking and accuracy researched to make use of any L slots on your ships. Autocannons are pretty good at shredding frigates and destroyers when you get into knife fighting range.
3. To go with point 2, always look at your battle report for what weapons are actually doing damage for you and what weapons are damaging you. You'll be surprised a lot of the time with what you find, adjust accordingly.
4. Don't be afraid to emergency warp out of a battle if it's just after one or two losses. Never lose your whole fleet.
5. If you do lose a battle, position some ships between the enemy fleet and their home territory. The AI has a very bad habit of trickling in reinforcements that you can pick off one by one with little effort. By the same token don't send reinforcements to your fleet one by one.
6. Lastly, Stellaris is pretty cool in that even if you do lose a war you can come back a lot of times. I've been left with just 2 planets with no ships or anything and vassalized. Eventually your overlord will end up in another war, bide your time/rebuild and stab that dude in the back as soon as you get the chance.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The conquest/war system is becoming really annoying here, maybe im doing something wrong.

I declared war on the Romulans, overran their entire empire and conquered every planet they had in 2-3 years. I win the war but I only get to keep 5 or so star systems (whatever adds up to 100 point warscore or close to that, and then i get kicked out of their territory and a 10 year truce goes into effect. Then i have to do this again and nick off another 5 planets and then another 10 year truce.

I'm playing a game with several hundred star systems, how is this even practical? I am fighting every border civ on a rotating basis while waiting for truces to finish: Romulans, Cardassians, Klingons, Orion Free States, etc. but this shit is taking FOREVER. is this by design or is there some setting that keeps from keeping what I conquer instead of having to give 80% of it back after every war I win?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The conquest/war system is becoming really annoying here, maybe im doing something wrong.

I declared war on the Romulans, overran their entire empire and conquered every planet they had in 2-3 years. I win the war but I only get to keep 5 or so star systems (whatever adds up to 100 point warscore or close to that, and then i get kicked out of their territory and a 10 year truce goes into effect. Then i have to do this again and nick off another 5 planets and then another 10 year truce.

I'm playing a game with several hundred star systems, how is this even practical? I am fighting every border civ on a rotating basis while waiting for truces to finish: Romulans, Cardassians, Klingons, Orion Free States, etc. but this shit is taking FOREVER. is this by design or is there some setting that keeps from keeping what I conquer instead of having to give 80% of it back after every war I win?

Have you tried exploding all the planets except five?

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider

I declared war on the Romulans...
I played a bit of the Star Trek mod. There's something off with how the AI handles expansion - I find by 75-100 years in, the entire galaxy is populated and mostly been discovered.

Playing as the Borg, best way to slow it down was to have as many wars running as possible, and continuously scooping planets to remove populations. In previous games I played as the Dominion in one game and the Federation in another and I got bored quickly - mostly because the game accelerated too quickly in expansion + exploration. And honestly didn't feel like I've been actively exploring with my ships - the AI just is good at sending ships out to meet everyone.

I feel like the AI in the mod just doesn't do a good job of strategically expanding and instead tries to REX their way to winning, which leads to an uninteresting mid-game and a slog of a late game

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just picked this game up. Haven't played any of the other games by the company, how much reading should I do before I try to play? Jumping in feet first going to be a nightmare?