Stellaris

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tradewars is like the old EQ to me, nostalgia for it that can't really be reproduced, but an itch that is occasionally scratched in some form by games like Stellaris.

Yeah, that is true, but I feel it's the closest I'll get.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So, just started playing this after not picking it up for a couple years after buying it on sale. 30 turns in, have 5 worlds, one is a Gaea planet, rest are nice continentals. I'm nearly double my admin cap but it still 'feels' like I'm behind on worlds? How many worlds do you guys aim for before turn 50 usually. I'd rather play tall, but I'm not sure if that's a great strategy in this game.

Burns

So, just started playing this after not picking it up for a couple years after buying it on sale. 30 turns in, have 5 worlds, one is a Gaea planet, rest are nice continentals. I'm nearly double my admin cap but it still 'feels' like I'm behind on worlds? How many worlds do you guys aim for before turn 50 usually. I'd rather play tall, but I'm not sure if that's a great strategy in this game.

Yea, the admin cap is just a malus to slow you down, but as long as your economy and homeworld population can support it, without gimping development, you can keep colonizing 80%+ hab planets in your territory.

That said, my access to habitable worlds is usually limited by how I expand, so I rarely go that far over the admin cap before acquiring the tech to be within 30% of the cap. My main goal of early game is to box in my future territory by owning systems that block all the neighbors from expanding toward my homeworld, even if I have to skip a few systems to do it (only if the crossroad system is very close to their territory). This usually means I dont claim any systems, outside of the first few around my homeworld, unless it's on the way to claiming the choke points I want. Once my borders are set, I come back and claim the rest and start my colony boom.

Mining and research stations are king of early game, and that's where most of my resources go when I cant build outposts.

Also, no one gets open boarders unless they are a Fallen Empire (Tip: dont claim systems that are 1 jump away from Fallen Empires).

Edit: I'm not sure where I am usually at, at the 50 year mark, colony wise. I think it would be heavily reliant on the RNG of the map, it's size, and the placement of other empires.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
For the most part, admin cap isn't something to worry about if you go over by a little bit. Unless you are playing as a Megacorp, then it hits pretty hard. So if you go over, don't fret unless the penalty starts getting really high, then just work on getting it back to a more manageable level. Having a crappy planet dedicated to Admin cap is also a great way to go in that regard, once you have other planets specializing in Minerals, Food, etc.

As for how far I get in 50 years, it just depends on planet habitability spawn amount. I personally play wide empire in the sense of getting as many star systems as possible, but hate micromanaging so many worlds, and have anywhere between 10 and 15 by that point, and I don't get too many more after that (I generally bomb xeno scum planets into tomb worlds, so I don't have to worry about them, or crack them when I get the planet killer ship). And if I've been lucky with tech, I might have started a habitat or two.

Research is king in this game, as outpacing the other empires in tech is the best way to win as well as catching up the the Fallen Empires more quickly.

I highly suggest looking up youtubers Aspec and Stefon Anon, they have pretty good videos for tips and empire builds.

• 1Like

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I always suggest watching a YouTuber do a let's play or two, ideally one geared toward new players. You can learn a lot of the mechanics that way. That's how I learned to play EU4 and Stellaris both.

jsquirrel

Molten Core Raider
ColorsFade Gaming also has a bunch of useful tutorial videos and a 'newbie' playthrough (though 32+ hours!) to watch.

I recently picked the game up with Humble's excellent bundle and got raped by a Great Kahn empire on my first blind playthrough after 6 hours or so.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I bought the Humble Bundle to get some of the later packs and expacs I was missing but now I have steam codes for the free base game, and some earlier expacs I already owned

Dont want to piecemeal them out, so if anyone wants the base game, the Utopia, Synthetic Dawn, Apocalypse and Leviathans DLCs, PM me and Ill give you the steam codes

edit: claimed already

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's the glacial pace on top of how mucht here is to do. Offputting isn't quite the right word which is why I went with daunting.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
ColorsFade Gaming also has a bunch of useful tutorial videos and a 'newbie' playthrough (though 32+ hours!) to watch.

I recently picked the game up with Humble's excellent bundle and got raped by a Great Kahn empire on my first blind playthrough after 6 hours or so.
Until you really understand this game prepare for many a raping. At higher difficulty your only good strategies are basically hope none of the empires notice you early game because they’ll squash your empire flat without trying with all the free resources they get.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Until maybe 3-6 months ago I could beat grand admiral or whatever by getting as few choke
Points as possible and maxing research. Could usually hold it.

Then something. Got tuned and nope.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Was in this thread hours ago, eager to finally give this another go, went to youtube and fell in a hole and have just been watching videos about it instead of playing it.

Watched every episode of this, was kinda fun.

• 3Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
This is what I have ended up doing with regards to most Paradox games (even though I own most of them and a good portion of their DLCs), it just ends up being more fun for me to watch experts play and go for goals and achievements while talking about what they're doing while I play an MMO or some low brain power game instead of me bumbling about in these damn things.

• 1Solidarity

faille

Molten Core Raider
Was in this thread hours ago, eager to finally give this another go, went to youtube and fell in a hole and have just been watching videos about it instead of playing it.

fuck you for introducing this to me

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor

Well shit. I guess I'm not going to actually play anything tonight.

• 1Solidarity

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
You're all welcome. I'm going to circle back and watch 'Season 1' tonight or tomorrow, lol.

• 1Like

Burns

PSA: (Last I played) Huge+ galaxies start to have performance issues with genetic engineering in the mid-late game. Different subspecies are treated as a different race, which each require their own computations from the AI for things like migration, happiness, reproduction, and so on. The game can become unplayable, depending on your hardware.

There are mods that can limit the computer making 5 million sub-races and allow you to clean them up manually, but I don't know if you need to start the game with them enabled, to take full advantage of the performance boost.

• 1Truth!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
PSA: (Last I played) Huge+ galaxies start to have performance issues with genetic engineering in the mid-late game. Different subspecies are treated as a different race, which each require their own computations from the AI for things like migration, happiness, reproduction, and so on. The game can become unplayable, depending on your hardware.

There are mods that can limit the computer making 5 million sub-races and allow you to clean them up manually, but I don't know if you need to start the game with them enabled, to take full advantage of the performance boost.
That and habitats make late game nigh unplayable in big maps. I once made the mistake of going a huge map and picking that trait that allows breeding to create new halfbreed species.

tbh the game is best on small maps. Set enemy empires to 0 if you just want to be an explore turd. I most often find myself playing on small with enemies set to max now a days.