Stellaris

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That and habitats make late game nigh unplayable in big maps. I once made the mistake of going a huge map and picking that trait that allows breeding to create new halfbreed species.

tbh the game is best on small maps. Set enemy empires to 0 if you just want to be an explore turd. I most often find myself playing on small with enemies set to max now a days.

I have never played small or medium maps. I like to play the largest map settings on all 4x games I play. I want plenty of exploration and a lot of AI players to interact with. For this game, I end up being done when the game is too slow.

Mods can help a decent amount, in controlling the population problem.

Burns

I have fallen empires immediately to my north and south. It's a little scary.

Fallen Empires are (usually) fairly easy to placate, and nice to have as border protection. You can survey the surrounding systems but don't settle them (within 1 jump), until you know what kind of Empire they are.

Quick run down of the 4 types:
  1. Spiritualists are a holy warrior fallen empire that have sacred planets in border areas. They are notated when you inspect that planet after it is surveyed and will demand the system or attack if you settle.
  2. Isolationist will attack if you own any bordering systems (these are the worst neighbors).
  3. Materialists are robots/cyborgs and are easy going; they will usually allow for open borders, close system contact and allow you to buy awesome scientists.
  4. Xenophiles love you and want to put some of your pop in a zoo, so just comply with their demands...

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fallen Empires are (usually) fairly easy to placate, and nice to have as border protection. You can survey the surrounding systems but don't settle them (within 1 jump), until you know what kind of Empire they are.

Quick run down of the 4 types:
  1. Spiritualists are a holy warrior fallen empire that have sacred planets in border areas. They are notated when you inspect that planet after it is surveyed and will demand the system or attack if you settle.
  2. Isolationist will attack if you own any bordering systems (these are the worst neighbors).
  3. Materialists are robots/cyborgs and are easy going; they will usually allow for open borders, close system contact and allow you to buy awesome scientists.
  4. Xenophiles love you and want to put some of your pop in a zoo, so just comply with their demands...
Holy Guardian Spiritualists to my northeast, Robotic Ancient Caretakers to the south.

Burns

Holy Guardian Spiritualists to my northeast, Robotic Ancient Caretakers to the south.

Those are generally great guards for entry points into your empire. The AI empires don't generally settle next to them or jump a bunch of systems past them, to settle. Robots will open borders to most everyone though, so enemy warships can pass through them (sometimes).

The Holy Guardians can have plants a couple jumps from their border system, so just make sure to look out for the icon on any planet you may want. I generally give them all a system buffer until mid game, since I think border friction malus can affect even the robots.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
completely crippled from this machine uprising. I put it down fairly quickly but because they buttfucked all the planets they were given im at -500 consumer goods per month.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
I hate the awakened AI event. Unless you take syncretic evolution (I think) it fucks you pretty good. I also hate the L-Gate enemy that you can sometimes get when those are activated. I usually play research heavy which brings that event earlier than I would like. Since their fleets are like 100k and mine are usually 30-40k a piece at that point. And they just keep pumping those fucking ships out.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
50ish years in, going well, what I think is some random minor empire demands tribute, ho ho ho, go fuck yourself twerps. Oh yay it's marauders, and they sending 2 high power massive fleets at me. My tech level is great, but only just started establishing border defenses, and my fleet is underpowered due to lack of alloy, only a couple 1 point deposits in my chunk of galaxy, and haven't built enough foundries yet since my planets develop so slow. They smash my main fleet, and start heading straight to my homeworld. I see how this gonna end, New Game.

So I assume I gotta be their bitch for awhile, feels like Civ barbarians, except the barbarians have nukes at start of game. How does the regular AI factions have such massive empires anyway? I had one right next door to me, and they had 5X the territory, and massive fleets all over within 15 years?

I also pissed off the religious fallen before I read this thread, I settled the gaia world before realizing, just told them to pound sand, they never ended up sending a fleet at me, they just butthurt "Angry" I guess.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
50ish years in, going well, what I think is some random minor empire demands tribute, ho ho ho, go fuck yourself twerps. Oh yay it's marauders, and they sending 2 high power massive fleets at me. My tech level is great, but only just started establishing border defenses, and my fleet is underpowered due to lack of alloy, only a couple 1 point deposits in my chunk of galaxy, and haven't built enough foundries yet since my planets develop so slow. They smash my main fleet, and start heading straight to my homeworld. I see how this gonna end, New Game.

So I assume I gotta be their bitch for awhile, feels like Civ barbarians, except the barbarians have nukes at start of game. How does the regular AI factions have such massive empires anyway? I had one right next door to me, and they had 5X the territory, and massive fleets all over within 15 years?

I also pissed off the religious fallen before I read this thread, I settled the gaia world before realizing, just told them to pound sand, they never ended up sending a fleet at me, they just butthurt "Angry" I guess.

The raiders won't invade a planet so even if they bombard your capital for a bit they still will eventually go away, I'd have to look up the exact time frame. They also arn't a regular AI faction, they are a special faction added to the game to give a kind of mid game enemy. Default games have 2 of them I think. The actual regular AIs are split into 2 types to give a sort of progression of your enemies through the game since you'll outscale them. Normal AIs, these guys start just like you with 1 planet, 3 ships, etc. Depending on the difficulty of AI they might get bonus production/fleet cap, etc. 'Advanced AIs', these are AIs that start with 3 planets and some extra shit out of the gate so they scale/expand faster and are the main enemies into the mid game. If you found an AI that has a massive empire early on in the game, chances are good its an advanced AI. The default start on a medium size galaxy adds 4 of them if I remember right.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They have multiple holy worlds, I think each one increases the chance that they will 'awaken' and push your shit in.

• 1Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I don't care if you don't run mods, run this. Considering how important the overview is, being able to have a firm grasp of what's going on at a glance improves your game. Stay on top of build queues and fleets, and well everything.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I've never understood why they don't just incorporate that mod into the base game.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Really love how 2nd game turning out. Went with hivemind/gestalt, love the simplicity of diplomacy now.

Kinda funny how the other empires got laid out, all the regular ones ended up clustered on the other side of the galaxy, I have 3 fallen empires blocking me off completely from normal hyperlane travel. I have a wormhole I can use now, but the other side is clustered with random marauder type hostiles. Theres another wormhole and a handful of blackholes mixed in the area with hostiles, bit north past that is where the other side of the galaxy is and where the buffet...other empires are.

For a random galaxy, it's sure setup as if I'm some ancient threat the fallen empires were guarding against, I even have a relic world, so I have a little more RP immersion I wasn't expecting. I also have a fortress with a skull just ??? for power about 4 jumps from home, it zapped a respectable fleet, so I kinda just stay the hell away.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Really love how 2nd game turning out. Went with hivemind/gestalt, love the simplicity of diplomacy now.

Kinda funny how the other empires got laid out, all the regular ones ended up clustered on the other side of the galaxy, I have 3 fallen empires blocking me off completely from normal hyperlane travel. I have a wormhole I can use now, but the other side is clustered with random marauder type hostiles. Theres another wormhole and a handful of blackholes mixed in the area with hostiles, bit north past that is where the other side of the galaxy is and where the buffet...other empires are.

For a random galaxy, it's sure setup as if I'm some ancient threat the fallen empires were guarding against, I even have a relic world, so I have a little more RP immersion I wasn't expecting. I also have a fortress with a skull just ??? for power about 4 jumps from home, it zapped a respectable fleet, so I kinda just stay the hell away.
better fortify the hell out of that wormhole before the great khan comes a knocking.

• 1Worf

Burns

The fortress might be part of a DLC that adds ~10 boss type events to the game. They can reward you with a unique technology, ship, or building (I think it gets sent to your capital). NPC factions can also do the event, and prevent you from getting it.

Last I played, the fortress was buggy with NPC factions trying to do it. They would just keep sending fleet after fleet against it, and never fill the requirements to actually start the event, after the defenses were down.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Are any of the DLCs must-haves? I have the base game only but never really played it, but am considering starting.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Are any of the DLCs must-haves? I have the base game only but never really played it, but am considering starting.
No, but you will get half way through your first game and realize that you want a few of those expansions for a little added depth. Then you'll buy em anyway and start a new game.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
The only DLCs not in the Humble bundle are Federations (Which is a shame. It is 'required' if you want to have a peaceful game) and the Distant Stars story pack, which introduces the L-Gates/another mid-to-late game experience and/or crisis.

The rest are race/cosmetic packs, which are 100% not needed or even good for the most part.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Distant Stars adds a good bit of flesh to anomalies and encounters. Completely optional.