Stellaris

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can see now why the chief complaint about Stellaris is how much they change the game every expansion. If they don't revert/rebalance the Empire wide pop restriction I probably won't ever play the game again. You literally cannot play wide anymore because you just can't fill up planets. Ringworlds/ecu/hive/machine worlds are pretty bad now too because you just can't fill them.

stellarisover.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I played a game until end game crisis with 3 planets. I had like 400 pop (2 Ecu, 1 Gaia all with clone vats) when the 25X endgame crisis swooped in and deleted me (never play 25x crisis. Worst idea ever).
I can see how playing wide is frustrating af. Wouldnt be suprised if the change was mainly to avoid the performance problems late game.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I can see now why the chief complaint about Stellaris is how much they change the game every expansion. If they don't revert/rebalance the Empire wide pop restriction I probably won't ever play the game again. You literally cannot play wide anymore because you just can't fill up planets. Ringworlds/ecu/hive/machine worlds are pretty bad now too because you just can't fill them.

View attachment 349164

The game crashed for me on startup, and I tried everything, contacted support but they couldn't help either, switching comp didn't fix it either. This lasted for months so I gave up.

Great game, some shit is absolutely fucked though.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Knock Knock mother fucker. Fallen Empire thinking it can get spicy with me is about to meet what just popped out of the home-world's cooker while my other fleets are on the front lines. Become the nemesis actually makes collosi fun, which is not something that's ever been true in the past.

wooop.png

And to be honest I think the pop changes are a step in the right direction. Game is running smooth as butter late mid-late game, which is usually a chief complaint.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Lol at the continue button. If I were a dev they'd both say quit for this one.

wooop.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'll probably never see that screen, unless I get rolled in the beginning of a game or something. When I play I tend to start a new game, play it for several hours over a couple days and then gaming ADD hits and I don't touch it for months.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, Stellaris has the same end-game problem Eu4 has - once you know you've won, its still the mid-game generally. So closing out a win gets kinda boring - validating a strategy might work is way more fun, but once you know (by mid-game), it can become a slog

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, Stellaris has the same end-game problem Eu4 has - once you know you've won, its still the mid-game generally. So closing out a win gets kinda boring - validating a strategy might work is way more fun, but once you know (by mid-game), it can become a slog
This was become the crisis successfully blowing up the galaxy. Was a pretty fun game because it turned into a total shit show at the end, but I managed to fend the side just long enough. Adding a victory condition really made the endgame better, and is something they should explore more.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As a newb, with a small bit of experience with this game from when it first came out, what are some of the things I should focus on at the start of a new campaign? I had to restart after I was blindsided by a random neighboring race whos 1.2k of ships completely shitted on my fleet of 1.6k corvettes?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
As a newb, with a small bit of experience with this game from when it first came out, what are some of the things I should focus on at the start of a new campaign? I had to restart after I was blindsided by a random neighboring race whos 1.2k of ships completely shitted on my fleet of 1.6k corvettes?

if a 1.2K stack shat all over your 1.6K of corvettes is because you researched the wrong weapons/defenses.

kinetic weapons and energy shields (regen) are considerably better than energy weapons, missile weapons and armor plating well into the mid game. missile weapons and energy weapons are actually pretty bad until end game.

you should be able to shred stacks bigger than you by 0-25% without issues.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I always went missiles then disruptors?

Iirc

Never had much luck because it seems like every neighbor always researches to counter you specifically. Lol

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I always went missiles then disruptors?

Iirc

Never had much luck because it seems like every neighbor always researches to counter you specifically. Lol

Missiles are good for wearing down large and slow targets like battleships and titans

Lasers dont get good until you get tachyon lance and particle lances which you can blast across entire solar system from battleships and bigger

so theyre basically both useless until mid game at the earliest

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Missiles are good for wearing down large and slow targets like battleships and titans

Lasers dont get good until you get tachyon lance and particle lances which you can blast across entire solar system from battleships and bigger

so theyre basically both useless until mid fame at the earliest
Other advantage of energy weapons in endgame is that physics only has like 6 repeatables, which means you can always research damage or attack speed, whereas engineering cycles through like 12 repeatables so you won't even always have a kinetic weapon repeatable offered to you.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Other advantage of energy weapons in endgame is that physics only has like 6 repeatables, which means you can always research damage or attack speed, whereas engineering cycles through like 12 repeatables so you won't even always have a kinetic weapon repeatable offered to you.

Yeah thats another good point. Autocannons are rarer to get than energy or missile weapons, so if you see them come up, grab them asap and then custom build corvettes around auto cannons and energy shields

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I'm not a stellaris expert (only on my 6th or so game) but I've had good success trying to rush strike craft cruisers, they seem to dominate everything smaller than a battleship to the point where it seems useless to build anything smaller for any function other than pirate patrol or fast moving to cut off enemy fleets. They also have very low attrition since you engage from such long range.

I'm playing a ravenous hive at the moment on a tiny map. Have not had a moment of peace since I encountered my first neighbour and they immediately declared war on me. At year 2293 so far with 1 erased neighbour, 2 crippled to the point they can't function any more and I've moved on to what was previously the most powerful on the map. Well on the way to consuming the whole galaxy.

edit 2 hours later: something that had not occurred to me as I was devouring my neighbours.. I expanded around the nearby marauders, and had them wholly enclosed within my empire. Then the great khan emerged and I realised that (of course) I can't surrender. Oops, so much for that game!

Last edited:

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I had a faction open the L Gate and I had three gates all next to each other prettty much. Got my shit pushed in.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
So I just enacted this:
I had enough diplomatic weight to outvote every other member put together.
Then the unbidden arrived in the middle of my empire. I managed to push them back to only 4 of my systems, and was slowly trying to grind towards the portal but they had broken out and taken over 30% of the rest of the map, so the other 2 portal crisis spawned as well, which was really going to be trouble.. Meanwhile I was getting warning signs of a machine rebellion. I decided to let them rebel to see how bad it really is.
Well, it's bad. Very very bad! They spawned with more than twice my fleet power!
Another game bites the dust!

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
How are Machine Intelligence empires now? I know once they were OP as hell. I'd like to play semi-tall, that is not exand the borders too much, but instead focus on research and then building up ring worlds and dyson spheres and shit.