Stellaris

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Humble bundle relisted the Stellaris bundle again for the next 5 days.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Still on my first game. I was way down the bottom of the power meter for a long time as I was focussed primarily on science and economy and had almost zero fleet. Was prepared to build one if someone became aggressive but it never happened. When I ran out of room to expand into I declared war on my nearest neighbour who's fleet power was listed as overwhelming, but I easily crushed their fleets with my superior tech. Rolled over their whole area and erased them from the map, which shot me way up the power meter to 3rd, only behind 2 fallen empires. I was thinking of leaving their planets since I don't want more but I couldn't get them off the map without invading. I think I must need some tech to just nuke planets from orbit because I could only seem to bombard them down to 20 pop and destroy all districts/buildings, not completely erase them. So I invaded them all, which I quickly regretted, this is now a beauracratic nightmare. I think I will just turn auto management on.
1616751459425.png

What are the victory conditions in this game? There only seems to be one visible which is that the highest score wins at year 2500. I am not sure if I can reel the fallen empires in by then since they have more than 5x my score.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Still on my first game. I was way down the bottom of the power meter for a long time as I was focussed primarily on science and economy and had almost zero fleet. Was prepared to build one if someone became aggressive but it never happened. When I ran out of room to expand into I declared war on my nearest neighbour who's fleet power was listed as overwhelming, but I easily crushed their fleets with my superior tech. Rolled over their whole area and erased them from the map, which shot me way up the power meter to 3rd, only behind 2 fallen empires. I was thinking of leaving their planets since I don't want more but I couldn't get them off the map without invading. I think I must need some tech to just nuke planets from orbit because I could only seem to bombard them down to 20 pop and destroy all districts/buildings, not completely erase them. So I invaded them all, which I quickly regretted, this is now a beauracratic nightmare. I think I will just turn auto management on.
View attachment 344399

What are the victory conditions in this game? There only seems to be one visible which is that the highest score wins at year 2500. I am not sure if I can reel the fallen empires in by then since they have more than 5x my score.

Early/mid game you can abandon planets by manually moving all populations on the planet to other planets. You can also set your empire to purge all alien races (in edicts (?)) and limit what races can immigrate or stop AI immigration altogether (in edicts for all races, and race tab for individual races).

Late game has tech that allows you destroy plants or to bombard all pops away. You get a stacking malus for exterminating aliens, in any form, with AI empires. If your own race is xenophile, they also take a unrest hit (?).

As for victory conditions, I think you set those at the galaxy creation (game start) page.

Last edited:

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You used to be able to orbitally bomb planets to zero pop

Well, all the setup I played anyway. Lol

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You used to be able to orbitally bomb planets to zero pop

Well, all the setup I played anyway. Lol
Purifiers and Exterminators have the armageddon bombardment stance which can bring a planet to 0 pop and turns it into a tomb world if they do so.

There's also Javorian pox if you got whichever precursor species gives that relic.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I decided to fire this up yesterday, but it has been so long since I played I ran into a question on expansion. It looks like how things worked must have change through some patches, but as to colonizing a 2nd planet, you have to have an outpost in the system first to expand your influence. However, do you need to keep that in place once the colony has been established? I seem to recall outposts getting more expensive the more you put up so not sure if that is still a thing or not. Or, is it more optimal to disassemble the outpost after the colony goes live?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I decided to fire this up yesterday, but it has been so long since I played I ran into a question on expansion. It looks like how things worked must have change through some patches, but as to colonizing a 2nd planet, you have to have an outpost in the system first to expand your influence. However, do you need to keep that in place once the colony has been established? I seem to recall outposts getting more expensive the more you put up so not sure if that is still a thing or not. Or, is it more optimal to disassemble the outpost after the colony goes live?

The outpost gets more expensive by how many jumps it is from the closest owned system. Any system in your zone of control is considered owned (if a system has an enemy planet, there are additional factors to contend with). So there is no need to delete them, afaik.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Couple places have Nemesis preorders for 30% off.

I used that wingamestore to buy all the DLC that wasn't included in the humble bundle and haven't had any issues.

• 1Hodjing
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
My last 3 games have all ended the same way, I dominate the AIs, federation, vassel or annex them all, stop the mid game crises, then pick a fight with the awakened empire, which tends to end inconclusively, then the game ends and I win on points.

Awakened empires are so hard to contain because they have so many strong fleets, use all the wormholes and gateways everywhere, move fast. I can usually make 2 fleets strong enough to win fights against them but they have 3 or so other fleets running rampant across the map. I feel like I would win eventually because I tend to kill their fleets over time, and annex or colossus all of their home systems, but clean up would take so long I don't bother.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Well time to set it to grand admiral and pick a devouring swarm and try this nemesis thing out. Hopefully the AI's around me are all special needs or I get one hell of a chokepoint to hide behind.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Pretty excited about starting a new campaign this weekend. I haven't played since right before Megacorp released.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Like the new diplomacy system, it doesn't poop on your research early game, so I actually take part in it. This start looked ugly at first, but I think this is a pretty nice start in terms of position. Only two choke points to worry about until mid-game, right next to each other. Even was a tasty primitive civilization that made the mistake of evolving next to mine, which is always nice as a devouring swarm. Horrific luck on leaders though. Been through about 30 and still not a single lightbulb.

wooop.png

Edit: Holy shit, AI aint fucking around. Declared war literally right after this. I've played this game a lot and I think that's the earliest I've ever seen a war declaration.

Edit2: Yep, I'm getting ass-raped by the AI. Okay I think its time to notch the difficulty down a little so I can play this on ironman.

Last edited:

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Higher difficulties are actually hard to play against lately. I started my first nemesis map on commodore and nearly lost my first war early in the game, because I didnt excpect the AI to have such a strong fleet.
I like the new diplomacy system. It is a fun expansion so far. Will play until mid-late game tomorrow. Will see how the new crisis system will work.
After that back to grand admiral for some challenge.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I added too many empires to my medium galaxy and now im completely boxed in to a pretty small area. Hoping I can get enough of a tech advantage to start bullying my neighbors for a bit more territory.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I added too many empires to my medium galaxy and now im completely boxed in to a pretty small area. Hoping I can get enough of a tech advantage to start bullying my neighbors for a bit more territory.
I'm boxed in hard in my current game in a real small area. That actually tends to be a good thing if you can survive to mid game. Luckily it's two isolationists boxing me in, so I haven't had my typical all out YOLO war as the puter slaps you around with its free resources early game. Being trapped means you probably aren't going to get much attention from whatever calamity comes a crashing in. Soon as it hits I'm hitting the road with my fleet to see how softened up my neighbors are.

New diplomacy thing and setting up spy networks is actually fun. It's neat to have assets running around and causing all sorts of chaos. I'd never think of doing it before, but I might actually run a diplomacy run-through next game. Stealing technologies, causing diplo incidents and sabotaging stations is all sorts of fun, especially since you can do it to allies.

Higher difficulties are actually hard to play against lately. I started my first nemesis map on commodore and nearly lost my first war early in the game, because I didnt excpect the AI to have such a strong fleet.

Yea, high difficulty requires some luck with the absurd amount of free resources the computer gets. If you just happen to have the wrong sort of oil and water combo of a neighbor you're pretty much toast. Building a federation and 'playing along' with galactic afairs while staying modest enough in size to not draw attention is how I have my most luck. Try something like determined exterminators in grand admiral and I just get rolled.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I just went donkey kong on my neighbor and this is the ringworld I captured from them. That's a lot of segments.

wooop.png