Storing large DVD collection

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
So I just moved and my ghetto target brand DVD case did not survive the move.

What are ways you guys store your large DVD collections? I don't really feel like ditching the covers and cases to throw them in binders as I feel it doesn't give the collection any meaning.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I actually spent a few hours beginning to rip them onto my NAS for streaming, but simply gave up. Takes far too long and I can just torrent what I want in minutes. I actually trashed hundreds of DVDs. Not worth all of the space / hassle.

I purchase only a few BluRay titles a year for exceptional films (LoTR, Game of Thrones, etc).

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I store my DVD collection the same way I store my LaserDisc collection

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Its possible, but you would waste a lot of time and a lot of memory doing so.

Szlia

I have several friends with huge DVD collections (we are talking thousands). At first they swap the boxes for thin boxes, but now I think both use big binders. They only kept the boxes if they were special in some way (like if included a book or something). Destroying is not an option, because a big portion of these films would be pretty difficult to find online.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I have a few hundred DVDs in a fat case but I'm never in the mood to search the thing find the movie I want to watch. It's faster just to download the DVD rip.

Last DVDs I bought was The Wire box set. Out of respect for the best series ever.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All my DVDs are alphabetically recorded on a spreadsheet and put into numbered boxes in my crawlspace. When I want to watch movie, I just pull out the box its in.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Um... I just have a bookcase in the living room. No need to over-think this.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I have several friends with huge DVD collections (we are talking thousands). At first they swap the boxes for thin boxes, but now I think both use big binders. They only kept the boxes if they were special in some way (like if included a book or something). Destroying is not an option, because a big portion of these films would be pretty difficult to find online.
I can find obscure films that that pre-date home video (i.e., they had limited theatrical releases on reels and nothing else) online. Granted not everything is online, but most movies are. And if it has been released on DVD it almost certainly is. Really doesn't take anything but time and bandwidth.

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Granted not everything is online, but most movies are.
What this guy said. I'm guessing they're not on Karagarga or Cinemageddon. Where "that one polish film from 1950 with the big toothed guy", and "Gay American Inventors From Outer Space" are a common reality.

I recently ditched all my movies, which stung a bit because I really enjoy film. Additionally, I was enjoying going totally legitimate and collecting all the random obscure stuff. Then I realized that once I upgrade everything to blu-ray, they'll come out with the 4k format. And I'm just tired of upgrading. I did it for VHS -> DVD, and the endless cycle is just going to keep going. Once I can buy the rights to a movie in any format, including future formats--I may consider it. Until then, piracy is going to have to satiate my need--but not my guilt.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
How comes most posters here didnt end up in law suits yet for copyright infractions?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Because we're smarter than the average copyright violator.

Honestly, I could be totally talking out my ass, but I feel even the meager protections I use(peerguardian 2 and private trackers) is still much much better than what the average person does when torrenting. Which is practically nothing.

Also, I think for a monetary perspective, I think catching vast swaths of violators is still not viable. You catch people, go through long court battles, eventually win and get large fines levied against them that they end getting out of due to the fines ruining their lives and declaring bankruptcy. I'd be very interested to see how much the MPAA and RIAA has profited on prosecuting violators. I'm betting generic scare tactics still win out.