Storing large DVD collection

splok_sl

shitlord
What are ways you guys store your large DVD collections?
DVD Storage:
rrr_img_49194.jpg

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I actually spent a few hours beginning to rip them onto my NAS for streaming, but simply gave up. Takes far too long and I can just torrent what I want in minutes. I actually trashed hundreds of DVDs. Not worth all of the space / hassle.

I purchase only a few BluRay titles a year for exceptional films (LoTR, Game of Thrones, etc).
When my wife and I first met, we had probably 250-300 DVD's. After a few years that was closer to 400. We eventually realized we didn't watch most of it and sold a good deal of them. Probably kept 100, mostly stuff we thought we'd watch (National Lampoon's movies, Elf, Back to the Future, all her Disney movies). That lasted a few years when we realized that we didn't watch those either. In the end, we sold them all for $2-3 each. It was fun getting a few grand, but we also realized we lost a shit ton of money overall. Much better to just get Netflix for streaming, Redbox for anything new, and download stuff I can't find anywhere else (which is pretty rare nowadays).

So my advice is to offload them at a yard sale while you still can get something for them.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably kept 100, mostly stuff we thought we'd watch (National Lampoon's movies, Elf, Back to the Future, all her Disney movies).
Damn, I can't imagine what masterpieces you parted with if that's the shit youkept.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had plenty of good movies, but what are the odds I'm going to sit down and watch A Clockwork Orange? Not fucking likely.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have a few hundred, only buy the good stuff lately (and only on blu-ray). I find that I never watch a movie a second time, but stuff like Game of Thrones I will always watch again.

Rime

<Donor>
I have a couple hundred DVDs and I am highly unlikely to swap to the Blu-Ray format so long as they keep making DVD players.

Assuming Blu-ray sticks around, I will try and skip it and go to the next format (4k? Super Laserdisc? Retinal players? Who knows).

spronk

FPS noob
20TB NAS mirrored raid drive, upgrade to 100TB in 5 years to accomodate 4k, fuck storing shit. I still buy really good blurays to support movies/etc I like and give em away as gifts, but download everything for personal consumption.

Only thing that gets me hopping mad is how not a single other person in real life will acknowledge how 1080p is clearly superior to 1080i or 720p from streaming sources/DVR, but its all of them who are wrong and not me I KNOW THE TRUTH. "NOOOOOO LETS NOT WATCH THIS ON NETFLIX GIVE ME AN HOUR TO TORRENT THE 1080P RIP ITS SO MUCH BETTER" but nobody listens
frown.png

41y0yRYA5SL._SY300_.jpg

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
For those of you streaming 1080, what are you streaming to (HTPC?)? I have issues even with some 720 stuff, and I'm wondering if it's because I'm using wireless?

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Um why spend an hour downloading when you can just watch it right away? The world isn't going to end.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
For those of you streaming 1080, what are you streaming to (HTPC?)? I have issues even with some 720 stuff, and I'm wondering if it's because I'm using wireless?
Yes, it's your wireless most likely. I moved back in May. At my old place, it was a wired connection from my computer to the router, wireless to the Boxee. Now it's wireless both ways and buffering issues have been cropping up. Audio stream content might be a factor too.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had plenty of good movies, but what are the odds I'm going to sit down and watch A Clockwork Orange? Not fucking likely.
Whereas you plan to enjoy Elf hundreds of more times in your life? Whatever man, I still have my Stanley Kubrick box set from when they first released all that shit on DVD and every thing except 2001 was in fuckingmono...ugh.

Szlia

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but only the theatrical releases of Eyes Wide Shut, 2001 and of the 70mm version of Spartacus were not in mono.

Szlia

Maybe, but that's like Star Wars with upgraded special effects or colorized versions of black & white movies
smile.png

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
All my DVDs are alphabetically recorded on a spreadsheet and put into numbered boxes in my crawlspace. When I want to watch movie, I just pull out the box its in.
All my jars of cold winter air are recorded by temperature (Celsius) on a spreadsheet and put into numbered boxes in my crawlspace. When I want my cool down my home to a specific temp, I just pull out the box its in.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Try storing your DVDs in a burning dumpster

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Am I one of the few who doesn't give a shit about HD quality movies? I'm 100% satisfied watching the fits-on-one-CD 700 MB DVD rips. Maybe I don't care to see hairs on Robert De Nero's mole?