Storing large DVD collection

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't look too hard but according tothis articleit seems like the artists can get a pretty good chunk(70%) of the money from their movies that areboughtthrough iTunes. I barely read the article though, this might only be for independent artists that go right to them or something, I'm bored already.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I didn't look too hard but according tothis articleit seems like the artists can get a pretty good chunk(70%) of the money from their movies that areboughtthrough iTunes. I barely read the article though, this might only be for independent artists that go right to them or something, I'm bored already.
Didn't read it, but skimmed to this breakdown.

- iTunes splits sales 70/30. With 70% going to the filmmaker and 30% going to iTunes. For example, when iTunes sells a films for $9.99. $7 of that goes to the filmmaker. With the new aggregator model, the filmmaker will generally see 100% of that $7. With the old aggregator model, the filmmaker would probably see around $3.50 of the $7.

- Hulu streams films for free but 50% of the advertising revenue goes to the filmmaker.

- Amazon VOD pays the filmmaker 50% of what they collect.

- Netflix purchases a license for your film for 1 or 2 years and they can play your film as many times as they like during that period of time. Licensing fees vary on a film by film basis.
So in terms of money to the filmmaker, it sure seems like Apple is the good guy here when compared to other digital distributors. I never would have imagined that.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
When they say filmmaker though, isn't that basically studio? I mean, how many directors/producers/actors own the movie? My guess is 0 as I don't think any of them are bankrolling a film. So basically the studio is getting 70% of the sale, and then the actual people who "made" the film are getting a much smaller portion of that.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The main thing I've taken from this thread is that I don't feel guilty about pirating movies. You've eased my conscience, Rerolled.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
It starts to add up...

rrr_img_49440.jpg

The Master

Bronze Squire
When they say filmmaker though, isn't that basically studio? I mean, how many directors/producers/actors own the movie? My guess is 0 as I don't think any of them are bankrolling a film. So basically the studio is getting 70% of the sale, and then the actual people who "made" the film are getting a much smaller portion of that.
The article is discussing indie films without a studio, but studios get basically the same deal. So 70% of anything from a major studio you buy on iTunes goes to the studio, who at best pays out some small fraction of that in royalties. Digital distribution is great for indie films though and if you buy them digitally odds are the actual filmmakers get the majority of the money.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I have a time capsule down in the basement. It's a plastic tote filled with like 200 dvds in their cases along with a dvd player. Maybe after I die, someone will unearth all of the rare treasures sealed within... or maybe people will be more interested in watching live bloodsports by that point and movies will seem tame by comparison.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It starts to add up...
What happened to the lowest shelf on the left-hand set of shelves? You should move the WoW collectors editions(?) boxes to the bottom in order to restore balance to your entertainment room.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Steam should do movies. Movie sale weekends!
Just the idea of buying a license for unlimited private use would be a huge step forward. Digital remasters would be the equivalent of patches, get them free. "Extras" could be DLC. The parallels are pretty easy to draw and I'm sure it'd be just as successful as Steam if you could talk the major studios into doing it.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
What happened to the lowest shelf on the left-hand set of shelves? You should move the WoW collectors editions(?) boxes to the bottom in order to restore balance to your entertainment room.
Those shelves were just made by my father so not standard at all, only made one at first then made more when needed. No way I'm putting wow boxes on the ground !

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Just the idea of buying a license for unlimited private use would be a huge step forward. Digital remasters would be the equivalent of patches, get them free. "Extras" could be DLC. The parallels are pretty easy to draw and I'm sure it'd be just as successful as Steam if you could talk the major studios into doing it.
If only the MPAA's heads weren't shoved completely up their asses.

rrr_img_49551.png

Netflix would also be a good place to sell the movies. I'd buy Miller's Crossing (again) if it was a reasonable price and that meant I could watch it forever.