Stranger Things

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
God damn dude, how far stretched out is the term "SJW" now? Nerdy girls and black people playing D&D?

• 2Worf
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I really didn't see anything that yelled SJW to me in this, the only PC bullshit that I even noticed was that there where quite a few times where 80s kids would have reacted by calling their friends retarded or gay.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While the show might not be the in thing for everyone, it certainly is better than 2 stars. Who the fuck is voting on this show? How do I vote so I can bring that up a bit? There are a LOT of shows much worse than this show.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its not even the SJW or whatever, btu every god dammned show has to have some gay shit in it now, thats what im hating. shit even the new Amazon one, The Boys had to have some gay shit. For being 5% of the population, they sure shoehorn their way into 110% of TV and movies now days. Why cant we have a show without gay shit? Especially an 80s themed one where being gay was taboo as fuck, and Im sure no one would be willing to share this with their firends so freely and openly back then. Fuck no.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Its not even the SJW or whatever, btu every god dammned show has to have some gay shit in it now, thats what im hating. shit even the new Amazon one, The Boys had to have some gay shit. For being 5% of the population, they sure shoehorn their way into 110% of TV and movies now days. Why cant we have a show without gay shit? Especially an 80s themed one where being gay was taboo as fuck, and Im sure no one would be willing to share this with their firends so freely and openly back then. Fuck no.
She was high as fuck on Russian truth serum, and even then it was super awkward. I don't think your memory of being free and openly discussed is accurate. They change some stuff, like yeah, the word "gay" was common vocabulary back then, or "fag" or whatever. But this isn't a documentary, it's historical fiction.

Been a while since I read the comics but I'm pretty sure The Boys had tons of gay shit in it, as well. And I don't really get that "it's for 5% of the population" as if we're unable to enjoy a story with gay people in it unless we've personally scissored with Vanessa. Sometimes it's a bit much, I really don't think this show is a good example of that.

But his example of SJW shit were literally one nerdy girl and a black girl being gifted fantasy stuff, in direct furtherance of the plot. If that's SJW shit then good fucking grief, what isn't?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Picard

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

So you'd say the gayness...offends you? Because that's really all this comes down to. No other reason for you to make such a fuss. Who gives a shit? Gay people are everywhere dude. Everywhere.

This community is becoming exhausting with all this shit. Of course there is some egregious pandering out there, but this show does not contain it.

• 6Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider

Based on the 2010 census, 5% is still higher than asians (4.8%) yet I'm fairly certain I've seen asians in more than 4.8% of movies in my lifetime without too much of a fuss about it.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Based on the 2010 census, 5% is still higher than asians (4.8%) yet I'm fairly certain I've seen asians in more than 4.8% of movies in my lifetime without too much of a fuss about it.

Not true at all. I was told that until Crazy Rich Asians came out they were repressed and marginalized in Hollywood and only that movie saved them.

• 1Worf

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Watched one episode, wife claimed she was emotionally invested so I got to finish this pile of hot steaming garbage.

It was just bad. I can't even remember all the gripes I had watching it, but it was bad enough my wife didn't care when I cancelled Netflix the other day.

Kinda shocked they didn't go with the whole thing being a big D&D style open world role play between everyone and the game has to end because people were going to college / moving.

The giant mind flayer was great until it was an actual thing.

Jesus I'm going to stop. Hot garbage.

Asians aren't trying to usher in tranny 8 year olds and destroy Civilization. They are just bad drivers.

• 2Picard
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Re: Gay shit -- I can only speak for myself, obviously, the main issue I have with gay shit is that people are terrible writers and gay shit is injected in the most retarded places. It's a 0 effort cash grab / marketing thing in most cases. Gay characters aren't gay for long, it's usually not even on their introduction, it's usually after a couple years of the show running before they try to cash in on gay characters UNLESS the gay character is the primary reason FOR the show. If Hollywood came out with a GOOD series in which shit happens and a character happens to be gay, I wouldn't give a fuck but that USUALLY isn't the case, USUALLY "Gay" is a marketing choice disguised as progressive ethics.

---

OKay I'm not doing a play by play for this, I'm jogging through conversations, this dialogue is so gay.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Re: Gay shit -- I can only speak for myself, obviously, the main issue I have with gay shit is that people are terrible writers and gay shit is injected in the most retarded places. It's a 0 effort cash grab / marketing thing in most cases. Gay characters aren't gay for long, it's usually not even on their introduction, it's usually after a couple years of the show running before they try to cash in on gay characters UNLESS the gay character is the primary reason FOR the show. If Hollywood came out with a GOOD series in which shit happens and a character happens to be gay, I wouldn't give a fuck but that USUALLY isn't the case, USUALLY "Gay" is a marketing choice disguised as progressive ethics.

---

OKay I'm not doing a play by play for this, I'm jogging through conversations, this dialogue is so gay.

In this case it was used as a tool to let the audience know these two characters are not going to end up being romantic. The writers were leading the story down that road, where Steve suddenly sees he's been blind to her appeal all along, and then they fall in love and live happily ever after. Which is about as cliche as it gets. They've done a really good job with bucking romance tropes with this show.

They did not shove it down our throats with forced situations where she was being persecuted and struggling with her sexuality. It was a very simple, "Oh... Steve, buddy... I'm sorry. Don't try to kiss me, I'm not into dudes". And that was it. Anyone complaining about it is injecting their own view of the current social climate into a show where none of that was going on.

• 6Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I would have been ok with her being a lesbo if she didn’t go on that super misleading talk about how she used to stare at him all the time and he never noticed.

Super misleading for our bro, Steve, the hero we didn’t deserve.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Well that conversation is what pointed the audience towards them ending up together.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Man, I dunno if it's even worth my time in writing a post on this show.

You either like it or you don't.

Season 1 -- Amazing

Season 2 -- Interesting but holy shit some of the stuff was dopey

Season 3 -- Dopey stuff got more dopey, story got generally more predictable, villains got less threatening.

---

SJWism

The SJWism is not even veiled, some of it makes sense (Russians) but the rest is very 2019 topics. Most ALL of the males are portrayed as one dimensional characters who are spineless, abusive, manipulative, emotional, petty children (even the adults) whose sole purpose is either to be sacrificed or provide drama. The women are complex, free thinking, focused "adults" (even the kids) with VERY FEW of them actually portraying negative character attributes aside from the ones that have been "Coerced by evil" (typically men, this isn't a phrase they used but is a common phrase in 3rd wave feminism).

Sure you may say this shit is nit-picky but the reality is that SJWism is a slow bleed. It's small comments made, it's a character being a pussy that's not usually a pussy, it's a lack of character growth (not a change of heart) from past encounters where everyone else is able to grow. From what watched it MAINLY afflicted males with the most obvious examples being the newspaper but all males suffered from being, as feminists say, tropey.

I'm trying to figure out the point of the girl worker at the ice cream shop (Robin?) because she feels like a mobile MacGuffin.

I FEEL like she was a, "Oh Damn son, we can get the daughter of Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke!" decision rather than a needed character.

All the stuff her character was created to do was GOING to be done by Steve and Dustin and we would have seen some cool character growth because of that interaction but instead we get another "Supergirl" that basically shows how inept Steve is repeatedly. If I would Alex Jones this shit I would assume that her character is a MacGuffin to peel away plot advancements from men and give them to a woman. I don't know if that is entirely true because her ONLY interaction is with Steve, the little sister and Dustin so she can't really pull plot advancement from other characters because she wasn't involved with them.

Plot holes:

(Understand that I understand what suspension of disbelief is...)

Why did the mindflayer poof? Okay so THAT door was closed but in the end scene we see the demogorgon about to eat some dude, is the assumption that the Demo can exist with the door closed but the MIND FLAYER can't?

Didn't the Mindflayer exist BEFORE the door was opened in season 3? I mean basically there was a convo on how "Maybe a part of him remained after the door was closed" in season 2. In that case, door open OR closed, I feel like the "Door" was a MacGuffin that served only to progress a plot point BUT they pretty much stated over the season that the thing was independent of the door at that point.

---

How were the Russians able to excavate a MASSIVE FUCKING PIT with MILE(S) LONG under-ground passages in a place that had previously seen the opening of a gate where beings from HELL poured fourth from the earth WITHOUT ANYONE in the US government finding out? I mean we can Bill Burr it ( ) but the reality is that NO ONE in a small community would miss shit like this much less the dozens of "new people" that the town would have "Mysteriously" had arrive after Season 2.

Story wise

Ultimately the base story wasn't bad, but the dialogue was, it was so meaningless that I skipped a LOT of dialogue (if it was important I back-tracked). The main issue I had was that most things weren't connected except by MacGuffins. If we needed a plotpoint from A to C then they whipped out a MacGuffin. All of the character SEEMED to have some massive head trauma and somehow forgot that they ALL experienced some pretty horrific shit in the last 2 seasons as a group. They all lack the basic trust that a group of people going through all of that would have. Plot holes added in and it was just strange, I didn't EVER feel like "Oh damn a character I love may die!?!" because the atmosphere was built around things happening to people AROUND the cast and not TO the cast. If they just randomly decided to kill one of the main cast members, I think this season would be way more impactful. As is the sheriff was more a source of drama rather than a necessary character and Billy...yeah, billy could have been an interesting character but he just wasn't made into one.

The pacing and atmosphere was so tame, honestly up to the last 2 episodes it felt more like a game of Scooby Doo rather than a version of Steven Kings "IT" lite.

My wife will likely enjoy the show, but to me it was a 1-2 stars. It's a high budget show that suffers from poor writing and writers block.

• 1EyeRoll

Khane

Dustin, Steve and Hopper were pretty much the heroes of S3. But uh... keep fighting the good fight bro.

Also, lol at Russians being the enemy as "SJWism". You may wanna take a look at the last 70 years of US history.

SJW Movie example according to GuardianX

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I would have been ok with her being a lesbo if she didn’t go on that super misleading talk about how she used to stare at him all the time and he never noticed.

Super misleading for our bro, Steve, the hero we didn’t deserve.
Yeah, that was my only gripe with it. And I get that probably the explanation is she wasnt out of the closet at that point, but it still deserves some dialogue.
"WTF, 3 scenes ago you were telling me how you had a crush on me all year"

Other than that, didnt bug me at all. She never even brought it up, until she had to.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It was really abrupt. I would have preferred it if the joke was more that everyone (as well as the audience) was aware she was gay but Steve was clueless. You can have then this small running gag where he is just not picking up the clues before she drops the hammer on him. I LIKE GIRLS HOW DENSE CAN ONE BOY BE.

• 1Solidarity

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
People not seeing the SJW in S3 (and every single show made these days) has their head buried in the sand. Trust me, I get it, my family doesn't live and breathe the world we currently live in either, they go about their daily lives oblivious to the purposeful degrading of a moral society. But for anyone paying attention, S3 , although not as horrific as the run of the mill Amazon or Netflix or network tv series, still had plenty of current political and social commentary thrown in to make me want to puke at least once an episode.

But yea, no big deal right. Wave it off, everyone is just over-reacting! We get our scraps of good TV in between the "lessons", and people are content with that.

• 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1EyeRoll

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Dustin, Steve and Hopper were pretty much the heroes of S3. But uh... keep fighting the good fight bro.

Also, lol at Russians being the enemy as "SJWism". You may wanna take a look at the last 70 years of US history.

SJW Movie example according to GuardianX

I LITERALLY said the russians make sense from an enemy point of view but NOT in the way they pulled it off.

The issue I have with "Muh Russia" is that it is VERY unlikely that Russians could pull off the feat...as I said...of building an underground bunker and "miles" of underground tunnels...in a town that is already on the radar of the US government.

I mean really, lets say that you have a government facility doing testing on people (season 1) and then that facility gets raided and your test subjects escape after doing some pretty brutal things. THEN your people decide to go BACK to that facility and boot up a program to OPEN A FUCKING PORTAL TO THE ANUS OF HELL which then opens said anus and a bunch of people die. Yes...the whole town would be basically a defacto military town at that point. There wouldn't ever be a "OOPS THE RUSSIANS SLIPPED UNDER OUR NOSES BEFORE THE COLD WAR EVEN ENDED!" situation.

So, like I said, I GET that the Russians are the big bad...show is set in 1984 and Cold War officially ended in 1991 but the way it was pulled off was brain-dead.

in re: "Dustin, Steve and Hopper were pretty much the heroes of S3."

No, Hopper and Steve were basically glorified babysitters / chauffeurs, everyone around them basically say as much and treat them as such. Steve basically spent 3 seasons saving the world and getting his ass kicked only to get a final scene where he can't even land a job without token lesbian saving pulling a favor. Hopper basically spends the entire season getting cucked by magnets all because, "MEN DUMB LOL NO EMOTIONAL THEM!" which...again...is SJWism.