Subculture and Identification within a Nation: Current vs Historical

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Can a state's or other geographical's subculture vary over time or will historical actions always define a location and how it is identified?

For instance Kentucky supported the Union during the Civil War, yet now its own populous identifies as "Southern". How do we reconcile these changes and properly categorize?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
How do we reconcile these changes and properly categorize?

By arming yourselves to stand at my back as we conquer Frankfort and declare me new King in the North.

We'll use the castle in Versailles as our staging grounds. It provides ample fortifications in case of a pre-emptive counter attack!

adEjrv.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Giants live there.

They play tennis with very big balls.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Can a state's or other geographical's subculture vary over time or will historical actions always define a location and how it is identified?

For instance Kentucky supported the Union during the Civil War, yet now its own populous identifies as "Southern". How do we reconcile these changes and properly categorize?
You seem to be implying that "Southern" and "Confederate" are the same things. Southern is a regional culture that crosses racial lines. Many black people identify as Southern but would have absolutely been pro-Union during the civil war. You know, that whole enslavement thing.

Szlia

Did people call themselves southerners before the civil war? If yes, did people in Kentucky identify as southerners before the civil war?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
additionally the mason/dixon line was basically anything south of Pennsylvania, ie maryland and below, though effectively it ran all the way up to and including New Jersey in terms of which states were slave states until the end of the civil war, because delaware and New Jersey both had slavery until then despite being neither confederate nor southern states.

In the south, we consider the "south" region to be florida (central and above, south florida isn't part of the south), georgia, tennessee, north and south carolina, Virginia (debatable), Alabama, Mississippi, arkansas and Louisiana. Which were the states that seceded from the union. Texas also seceded but Texas is just Texas.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The argument at the time basically revolved around whether modern cultural concepts were more valid criteria than the historical one of which states sided with which side in the war.

Kentucky had a strong contingent of Southern loyalists, but the state ran them out after what amounted to a failed coup on the governor or some shit (can't recall all the details now sorry), and Lincoln considered Kentucky the lynchpin of the war and the most important region to maintain control of due to its location and the fact that so many major waterways meet up near Louisville and so it was critical for supply lines from north to south.

Araysar's argument was that Kentucky after the war has maintained a more southern culture, and that from right after the way, many Kentuckians sided with the South during the Reconstruction era.

I dunno. At the time Iannis said something to the effect both are technically correct, and I still agree with that.

It was a troll that got out of hand, but I also needed a break at the time because I needed to focus on school more than as I was working through some of those harder calc and chemistry courses and really wasn't spending as much time as I could on it, so I just bailed for awhile.

Came back once the school work load was diminishing as I was headed for graduation.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>

In other words: Is the Magic Dirt theory real?

No. The state is its people; the people are not its state.

The Donald Trump Phenomenon: Part 1: The American Nations

Take a look at the pro-Trump cultures and who they voted for (Trump). In fact, Ricky Vaughn's chart was almost 100% accurate on the basis of this one fact alone.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Kentucky is still a strange state.

Its always gonna be.

At one time it was probably the most important state in the country because of the aforementioned waterways so critical to trade in the past, but after the advent of airplanes and trains, even though we still pass through millions of tons of goods a year in the locks up in Louisville, the rest of the country started passing us by.

Its cheap as dirt to live here though, even in the bigger metropolitan areas.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I think me and my wife are going to go watch Sausage party at 1. Tickets are cheap and the theater will be dead, and I just read a really good review of it by Friendly Atheist that says the main storyline is based on Plato's Allegory of the Cave, and that the movie bashes the shit out of religion.

Dick and fart jokes + philosophy + bashing religion = movie was clearly made for me

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
1pm movie on a Tuesday?! Am I the only one working on this forum? Well...I'm at work anyway.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
She works in a hospital over night, mostly thursday through sunday.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Congrats and condolences.

• 1Like