Subnautica

Caliane

I check once in a while and so far it seems very disappointing. I haven't played it, so someone else might know more, but it seems to me rather than add to and expand on what made SN good, they've gone in a different direction. Instead the game is physically smaller, has many more talking characters with story-driven plots, fewer worse vehicles, and no additional game mechanics.

I hope this isn't accurate but we'll see I guess.
wtf

I discussed it in talking about DQ builders 2... Subnautica is pretty solid. That does sound awful. Anything Subnautica "needs" would be either to take a bit more from Terraria in terms of items/artifacts, or more dynamic combat. or, proper colony/base building. The basebuilding in most of the "survival" games is always disappointing because it anways ends up this empty lifeless husk. Something like Kenshi/DQ builders and even fallout, where you bring people back to your base, and build settlements for them, in addition to yourself is so much better. And not like Conan, where the npcs are just items you place in crafting benches. but instead actual people that eat, sleep, harvest, etc..

Terraria nails the exploration, and collecting of cool/fun character enhancing items. And that is a bit of where Subnautica failed. most of that shit, is just debris in crashed ship pieces. compared to the good parts of the game, where you are going to specific biomes to collect specific things. Its not really fun or interesting to have the progression key upgrades to just be basically haphazardly strewn about the seabed.
Instead, tell me a Colossus stole the prawn jump thrusters, and I need to go find its nest to get it. Make me sneak by it. or, maybe another piece dropped into a deep cave full of eels.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Last night rocked. Built my moonpool, upgraded my seamoth to go down 900 meters, found a water condenser and built that (That rocks) and found a lot of cool things. Those beacons REALLY help. I found some great places to harvest rubys. Also found the way to make Aerogel finally. That was a dangerous place. The Degasi story is awesome :) Next up I am going to head into the aurora and explore in there as I haven't really been there yet and now I have good weapons and tons of fire extinguishers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Boy that's disappointing to hear Below Zero isn't looking good. Subnautica is probably my favorite game of the last few years

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's not necessarily that it's not looking good, it's that it's looking like a very different game rather than just being Subnautica 1.5

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Glad to hear you are on the Subnautica bandwagon Utnayan Utnayan . It is one of the best games ever.

Has anyone been keeping up with Below Zero's progress? Any idea how close they are to finishing? I bought the early access and played through the first couple hours, realizing it would be best to just have patience and wait for the finished product.

I tried the early access of B0 twice and I just don't like that they're relying far more on complex mazes underwater to make exploration and finding stuff "hard". The first area was very flat and open until you started cave diving and you could find lots and lots of stuff there, but now the "twisted something something" biome right next to your safe start biome already is insane to navigate.

I don't mind the extra NPCs and talking stuff at all, though. In fact if somehow you were once again the lone survivor I'd find that to be a bit repetitive.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I got subnautica free when Epic gave it away, the base game. I assume there's a DLC for it others mentioned. I watched someone stream it when it was relatively knew. It looked intresting but in other way I can't put my finger on it, never made me start the game. I guess I'll get motivated and try it.

• 1OK, Sure

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I fired up the epic launcher and was going to start on subnautica for the first time. 9.5 gb update I guess that includes the new DLC. I haven't really looked at it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Man I want to play this but I can't do deep ocean stuff. I'm such a fag that I can't handle simulated water

• 2Solidarity

GhenghisKhan

Molten Core Raider
Man I want to play this but I can't do deep ocean stuff. I'm such a fag that I can't handle simulated water
Just started playing this. Loved the first one and seen someone on Twitch playing this. Didn't even realize they had put out a newer game.

I don't know how far along I am but a lot of story I'm experiencing now is on land. Snowy arctic place.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Just started playing this. Loved the first one and seen someone on Twitch playing this. Didn't even realize they had put out a newer game.

I don't know how far along I am but a lot of story I'm experiencing now is on land. Snowy arctic place.

From what I understand, you can safely try the game now (in terms of story) without being spoiled since this is the last major update before they add the entire rewrite.

So in terms of lore and what happens, it will all be remade. It's why so many are playing it on Twitch now. Granted, I expect mobs, sea layout, items and such to be the same, so that will be spoiled by trying it now.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was wrong, this is great again. I mean, many devs have tried implementing these into their games, but here it's just well beyond awesome. Even better than GTA.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Still not enough content in B0 so I gave the first game another go. Also had some unfinished business with this guy

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I go out of my way to fight leviathans with the Prawn. Like, if I see one, I will approach it and forget whatever I'm doing to punch it to death (if it can be killed) and then take pictures of the limp corpse.

I had like... 2 bad experiences with the Reaper and now I hate them all, a lot.

• 1Solidarity

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I recently fired up this game again after having quit it early a couple of other times. It's a beautiful game and it should be right up my alley but for some reason I always get burned out on it before I even get to building a base. Just some aspects of it seem to annoyingly mundane like ... I can build all of the building pieces with my constructor but I can't build a room yet. What is the point? Why do I have to keep catching fish for drinking water instead of just building a desalination station? Why do I have to awkwardly run pipes down to cave systems instead of just a hose? I haven't really looked at guides or anything so maybe I am just missing something but it just doesn't resonate with me for some reason. Maybe I am just too lazy.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i love the IDEA of the prawn suit... but in practice i feel like it ruined the best part of the game. that sense of terror that this game does SO WELL just goes away as soon as you get the prawn suit. arguably, it DOES feel good to finally get a real edge in the game, and i get that... if there was one gaming experience that i could replay without any previous knowledge, it would be subnautica

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I recently fired up this game again after having quit it early a couple of other times. It's a beautiful game and it should be right up my alley but for some reason I always get burned out on it before I even get to building a base. Just some aspects of it seem to annoyingly mundane like ... I can build all of the building pieces with my constructor but I can't build a room yet. What is the point? Why do I have to keep catching fish for drinking water instead of just building a desalination station? Why do I have to awkwardly run pipes down to cave systems instead of just a hose? I haven't really looked at guides or anything so maybe I am just missing something but it just doesn't resonate with me for some reason. Maybe I am just too lazy.
You can get salt + golden corals to make bleach, which then makes two 30-thirst waters. Much better than drinking fish. You can eventually get a water filtration unit, one will supply you for good (unless you eat a lot of cured fish), once you have a second one you can stock up easily for longer expeditions and never look atanother bladderfish.

I've finished the game without ever using pipes or something like that and I'm not even using a Seaglide for inventory space reasons. You'll find the room blueprint very soon as well.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

The multi-purpose room is scannable from the very beginning of the game, but you won't get a waypoint to one until a couple hours in. And nobody uses the air pump thing, it's a cool idea but too impractical.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Well, I found a super deep cave in the opposite direction of the ship that had some destroyed structures in it. Apparently there is some tool to mine the larger ore deposits. Trying to do this without looking shit up on wikis.

I didn't use the airpump in previous games so I thought I'd give it a shot this time. Seems like a pain in the dick to swim up and down all the time (I do have the second tank and a rebreather) but yeah it is also a pain to set up.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
And, I'm a couple of hours in. Got radio transmissions to the first two pods. Wondering if I missed something along the way. Maybe I will go back and look.