Subnautica

Fucker

Log Wizard
Below Zero DLC is up in Early Access style. Not finished, but worth a look if you can't wait for the finished product.

$20. 4.2 gb download.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Realize I'm way late to this one, but quick question for those who played it a good bit. Is starting the game on hardcore doable or just more trouble than it's worth? I don't mind doing a slow roll and being cautious but is death pretty much unavoidable? Gavinmad Gavinmad ?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There are some situations in the game where avoiding death if you're not ready for it will be really difficult. You won't see them coming either, and some of them are mid-late game. That said, they're also not guaranteed so being on your toes at all times might make it work. The game is about taking risks though. How much you want to be punished for failing at those risks comes down to personal preference. There's also bugs to consider. While not the buggiest game around, it's not immune to them.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Realize I'm way late to this one, but quick question for those who played it a good bit. Is starting the game on hardcore doable or just more trouble than it's worth? I don't mind doing a slow roll and being cautious but is death pretty much unavoidable? Gavinmad Gavinmad ?

More trouble than it's worth for a first playthrough unless you're a bit of a masochist imo. Dying in 'softcore' can be enough of a pita as it is, especially if you lose a vehicle in the process.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
There are some situations in the game where avoiding death if you're not ready for it will be really difficult. You won't see them coming either, and some of them are mid-late game. That said, they're also not guaranteed so being on your toes at all times might make it work. The game is about taking risks though. How much you want to be punished for failing at those risks comes down to personal preference. There's also bugs to consider. While not the buggiest game around, it's not immune to them.

I think I died twice in my play through of the game, beat it with 25 hours played or so.

Don't think the game was hard or dangerous hardest part was finding the connections to the different areas and when I started carrying beacons that was a non issue.

Most of the NPCs can't catch you in your seacraft and are not ultra aggressive.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't think it was really hard or anything, but the reasons people play hardcore can differ, and the ones that I know that play such modes really fucking hate being surprised by things that will hit you hard. I think if you can stomach the homing explosive fish in the starter area then you should be fine with it unless your tolerance for such things changes based on time investment.

Other main things to watch out for will be the bugginess of the Aurora, and needing to prepare extra hard for deep-dives

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Thanks for feedback guys, my only worry was blowing threw it too easily/quickly but I'll give it a go on normal and just try to set the goal for myself of no deaths and see how it goes.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Thanks for feedback guys, my only worry was blowing threw it too easily/quickly but I'll give it a go on normal and just try to set the goal for myself of no deaths and see how it goes.

Enjoy. The first experience with the game is fantastic especially if you don't get spoiled. It's one of those games everyone should experience.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Resisting the urge to look things up online during your first playthrough is far and away the most important thing to enrich your experience. The replayability of the game is so-so at best because you can't recreate the discovery and exploration aspect of your first time through, so preserving that as much as possible will have a profound effect on your enjoyment.

The glitchless speed run world record for the game is an hour and 13 minutes. My first playthrough was something like 40ish hours and that was with me looking up a couple things online which I shouldn't have done, so probably would have been closer to 60 hours or longer. There really isn't much of a game if you strip the exploration aspect out of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I got this game on Epics store for free but I'll prob end up buying it on Steam and giving it a try, it looks fun.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I sure hope this Sunbeam ship arriving is not the end of the game. I have barely even started on my base, I don't want to look it up and spoil story but I also kinda need to know if I should slow my roll on going to these waypoints.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I sure hope this Sunbeam ship arriving is not the end of the game. I have barely even started on my base, I don't want to look it up and spoil story but I also kinda need to know if I should slow my roll on going to these waypoints.

You don't need to slow your roll.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

zWCDbiZ.jpg
zWCDbiZ.jpg
zWCDbiZ.jpg
zWCDbiZ.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got Below Zero and played through the content they have so far.

I think I am slightly disappointed? At the very least, I would recommend any that plans on playing it to wait. There is not much there yet and what they have is largely rehashed from the first game. Sure, there are some new creatures and the environment is different, but fundamental things like the minerals you are collecting, the equipment you are building and the bases you are building are all the same.

Anyways, I gave Subnautica a personal 10/10 and game of the year 2018, so I hope they can offer up something that feels similar the second time around.

Caliane

yeah, Subnautica is like the gold standard atm for survival games. but, at the same time. I do find it hard to justify an expac. new environment? ok... but same base, crafting etc? hard to see its real worth. I suppose in general, I really want even expacs to renovate the baseline game.

• 1Like

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I really thought I was going to like this game. I picked it up on Steam on sale a while back and early in the game I was trying to find salt or something and swam around for half an hour looking for it to no avail. Finally said fuck it and refunded it. I think I am turning into an angry old man. I am so finicky and impatient with games these days. Certain ones just click with me and other popular ones I just don't. This one is so popular and so in my wheelhouse so to speak I really should give it another shot while on sale again.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I really thought I was going to like this game. I picked it up on Steam on sale a while back and early in the game I was trying to find salt or something and swam around for half an hour looking for it to no avail. Finally said fuck it and refunded it. I think I am turning into an angry old man. I am so finicky and impatient with games these days. Certain ones just click with me and other popular ones I just don't. This one is so popular and so in my wheelhouse so to speak I really should give it another shot while on sale again.

I started doing the same sort of thing a few years ago. Absolutely nothing was good enough and I would nitpick the smallest stupid bullshit in a way that was intentionally sabotaging my ability to enjoy games. The solution? A bit of weed and/or liquor. Not a lot, just enough to shut the judgment portion of your brain off long enough to find something you like about it which tends to open the door to the rest.

• 1Like

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I started doing the same sort of thing a few years ago. Absolutely nothing was good enough and I would nitpick the smallest stupid bullshit in a way that was intentionally sabotaging my ability to enjoy games. The solution? A bit of weed and/or liquor. Not a lot, just enough to shut the judgment portion of your brain off long enough to find something you like about it which tends to open the door to the rest.

Well, I have never been shy about liquor and games. I've never tried weed but it is legal in Michigan now for recreational use so maybe I will give it a shot one of these days.

• 1Like