Subnautica

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I havent smoked weed since college (so more than 10 years) but if there was ever a drug made for video games, it would be weed.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I haven’t had internet for a few days so I played the fuck out of this game. I apparently was very distracted and didn’t notice I’d gotten a signal/breadcrumb to the Aurora rendezvous site until much MUCH later than I should have. (I almost beat the game without the plans for the multipurpose room...)

The designers really nailed the equipment progression and crafting pacing. Each new vehicle made me feel increasingly bad ass. And there were many times that I felt super clever and skilled when I figured out a certain equipment combo or opportunity.

For some reason I didn’t make any beacons or the path finding tool until the mid game. Once I made them I was kicking myself for not doing it as soon as they were available. They’re HUGE quality of life improvements for navigating.

Towards the last hour or so I was very ready for it to be over, but if I hadn’t overlooked the aforementioned breadcrumb I probably would’ve beaten it in 25-30 hours instead of 40-50 hours. It’s perfectly paced for a 30 hour game. Hopefully they can tweak just enough with Below Zero to make it fresh again. I’m very unlikely to play that until it’s out of early access, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What kind of hardware is needed to run this high quality at 1440p? They recommend 2 GB VRAM cards, but that hardly seems sufficient today.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Awesome video of the Company Founder & Developer at GDC this year. I would never have guessed how iterative the game design was. The end product felt like it had tremendous forethought, planning, and depth. He also said they had eclipsed 4 million units in sales, which is incredible for a studio with just 20 developers.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, it's easily one of the most coherent game designs I've ever played. It feels right up there with some Zelda games in that regard. Especially surprising as it was an early access game that had a fair amount of community input.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm eagerly awaiting Below Zero while desperately resisting the urge to watch any more vids from EA.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, it's easily one of the most coherent game designs I've ever played. It feels right up there with some Zelda games in that regard. Especially surprising as it was an early access game that had a fair amount of community input.
yeah, it was actually the exact kind of early access that people wanted. "hey, so here's what we have so far, here's what we're thinking about doing, what do you guys think?"

Caliane

yeah, its pretty remarkable. its definitely the most coherent "sand box survival" game out there.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Picked up Outer Wilds today. If you’re a fan of Subnautica, you’ll like Outer Wilds. Go in blind. Don’t even watch a trailer.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Picked up Outer Wilds today. If you’re a fan of Subnautica, you’ll like Outer Wilds. Go in blind. Don’t even watch a trailer.

Weird ass game, but fairly engaging. Seems like pure exploration/puzzle solving so it would definitely be ruined by excessive wiki use.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I started this back up on Xbox One X since it is on Gamepass. Normally I would play a little, get bored - but for some reason this time I am going gang busters. I just got to a part where there was a timer and a ship tried to get me but was blown up and I am like, "Holy shit there is land!?" and I found a couple things, scanned them, saw an alien artifact and realized there was a story to this. Ha! So now I really want to find out what the heck is going on.

I built my first mediocre underwater base which is about 50m from my escape pod for now lol. I have a scanner built out and really want to get the upgrade where it increases range and then also places the fields on my hub. I am a bit behind in finding blue prints - so I am guessing I need to scavange salvage areas. For instance I have the plans for the submersible, but I do not have the plans for the infrastructure to build it. I have the radiation suit, and went to the aurora to find some cyclops parts, but was scared of that thing swimming all over so ducked out.

Now that I have a lot of locker space I need to take an hour or so and stock up on waters and food - and then try to find some resources I have never heard of before to build out the scanner in my base. I found the tablet fragment after the rescue ship was taken out - but now I am also waiting for another radio signal to hopefully lead me to another breadcrumb.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So I started this back up on Xbox One X since it is on Gamepass. Normally I would play a little, get bored - but for some reason this time I am going gang busters. I just got to a part where there was a timer and a ship tried to get me but was blown up and I am like, "Holy shit there is land!?" and I found a couple things, scanned them, saw an alien artifact and realized there was a story to this. Ha! So now I really want to find out what the heck is going on.

I built my first mediocre underwater base which is about 50m from my escape pod for now lol. I have a scanner built out and really want to get the upgrade where it increases range and then also places the fields on my hub. I am a bit behind in finding blue prints - so I am guessing I need to scavange salvage areas. For instance I have the plans for the submersible, but I do not have the plans for the infrastructure to build it. I have the radiation suit, and went to the aurora to find some cyclops parts, but was scared of that thing swimming all over so ducked out.

Now that I have a lot of locker space I need to take an hour or so and stock up on waters and food - and then try to find some resources I have never heard of before to build out the scanner in my base. I found the tablet fragment after the rescue ship was taken out - but now I am also waiting for another radio signal to hopefully lead me to another breadcrumb.
This game is one of the best experiences I’ve had in video games. It does a really good job of making you feel clever and like you’re discovering some secret shit. Stay strong and resist the temptation to look stuff up.

• 2Like

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
What he said. The breadcrumbs can be easyish to miss if you aren't checking back at the radio, but honestly, exploration is half the fun.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I am definitely doing just that and you are both completely right. My base is now an awesome sight to behold ha! I have been exploring and when I get into that 1st
alien structure
I was exploring all over and it gives a good hint at what I need to do next but doesn't exactly tell you how to do it. Right now I explored a region where I found Ruby's. My Sub isn't strong enough to go below 200m yet, so I am going to places and swimming the rest of the way down and taking it easy. Last night I was exploring an area and I torched by way in through a door and my battery went out on my flashlight. I couldn't see and drowned. lol. I am glad death isn't punishing where it makes you start over, but my Sub was 1.5k away so I jetted back and found one of two components of the moonpool which I cannot wait to find the second part for to add on to my base.

The mystery is awesome, and last night even some alien ghost thing appeared on my screen. "Who are you." Freaked the crap out of me.

My goal tonight is to find the second part to the moonpool, build that up, and upgrade my sub so I can go deeper. I have a few Cyclops parts but not sure how many I will need but that thing sounds awesome. I am still trying to find magnetite, but found a good spot for Ruby's, Diamonds, Lead, Silver, Gold, Copper, and Lithium. I know there are now more resources to find because some ingredients are popping up I have no clue what they are :p

I am also going to make a locker full of water, and my aquarium is full of fish so I can pluck one out and cook that any time I need it.

Game is legit :)

• 2Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Glad to hear you are on the Subnautica bandwagon Utnayan Utnayan . It is one of the best games ever.

Has anyone been keeping up with Below Zero's progress? Any idea how close they are to finishing? I bought the early access and played through the first couple hours, realizing it would be best to just have patience and wait for the finished product.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My goal tonight is to find the second part to the moonpool, build that up, and upgrade my sub so I can go deeper. I have a few Cyclops parts but not sure how many I will need but that thing sounds awesome. I am still trying to find magnetite, but found a good spot for Ruby's, Diamonds, Lead, Silver, Gold, Copper, and Lithium. I know there are now more resources to find because some ingredients are popping up I have no clue what they are :p
I will re-itterate a tip someone gave me after I had already played the game waaaay too long... Create and use beacons for rare resources and the Biom's that are on the outskirts that you need to revisit. After you deploy them, you can type any name you want on them, like "Ruby's" or "Underwater Mushroom Land". It will really help you progress.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I will re-itterate a tip someone gave me after I had already played the game waaaay too long... Create and use beacons for rare resources and the Biom's that are on the outskirts that you need to revisit. After you deploy them, you can type any name you want on them, like "Ruby's" or "Underwater Mushroom Land". It will really help you progress.

Oh crap! That would be huge. I have a scanner built right now and was planning on upgrading that tonight along with my sub for deeper diving (Right now can only go 200m) but I STILL need one more scan of a beacon to actually HAVE beacons lol :) This would be huge.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Glad to hear you are on the Subnautica bandwagon Utnayan Utnayan . It is one of the best games ever.

Has anyone been keeping up with Below Zero's progress? Any idea how close they are to finishing? I bought the early access and played through the first couple hours, realizing it would be best to just have patience and wait for the finished product.

I check once in a while and so far it seems very disappointing. I haven't played it, so someone else might know more, but it seems to me rather than add to and expand on what made SN good, they've gone in a different direction. Instead the game is physically smaller, has many more talking characters with story-driven plots, fewer worse vehicles, and no additional game mechanics.

I hope this isn't accurate but we'll see I guess.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I check once in a while and so far it seems very disappointing. I haven't played it, so someone else might know more, but it seems to me rather than add to and expand on what made SN good, they've gone in a different direction. Instead the game is physically smaller, has many more talking characters with story-driven plots, fewer worse vehicles, and no additional game mechanics.

I hope this isn't accurate but we'll see I guess.
That was my experience as well, and it was the reason I put it down and decided to let them give me a finished product before I gave it any further judgement.