Subnautica

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have 150 hours on it with two full playthroughs. Never built any excessive bases for the sake of building bases. Expanded the starting base, built a base in the mid section where you explore further out and built one in a very spoilery place each game

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Dang.

I might have to just put it on the creative mode then just to go explore around ;[
My playthrough was 28hours, so ymmv I'd say. I didn't spend an inordinate amount of time gathering I thought, although you do quite a bit early game since there's so little to get started with. You still do some later, but you get better tools or better sources of materials(like early you get shittier copper nodes then later you get shit you convert into a bunch of copper at once and even later you get big nodes that give a ton of materials at once). There's definitely some gathering but it didn't feel excessive to me, and I say that as someone who doesn't really play survival shit. I'd say it was comparable, or even shorter than Terraria, which is the only other game I've played where you gather stuff. There's no "terraforming" process where you have to dig out tunnels and make rope lifts and boss arenas and all that shit, you just build what you need, and you don't really need that much it felt like, unlike you make a super big base or something.

I also made 3 bases, same places, my main base near the start was never really big though, mostly the minimum, the 2nd base was literally just there to produce air and have a place to store shit, and the 3rd base was a bit more complex but it's cause it was late game and I wanted a decent base(and in the end I barely needed to use it, I just figured I might need to charge batteries for my stuff but turns out I never really needed to).

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I just bought sub zero but wanted to go back to original before I started it since it has been a few years. Have tried hardcore twice now and got a good number of hours in on the second one. Beating the whole thing on hardcore is probably more than I'm going to be up for.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seeing this thread get bumped by folks just makes me smile. This in VR will forever be one of my all-time favorite gaming experiences.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah surprisingly I am enjoying this a lot and imagine it would be fantastic in VR.

I got a vehicle built and have been unlocking the dribbles of the story. Hasn't felt overly obnoxious on the gather to build.

Really solid for someone who passes on almost all survivalesque stuff.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah surprisingly I am enjoying this a lot and imagine it would be fantastic in VR.

I got a vehicle built and have been unlocking the dribbles of the story. Hasn't felt overly obnoxious on the gather to build.

Really solid for someone who passes on almost all survivalesque stuff.
The vehicles are definitely the high point in terms of building stuff, I loved them, they were somewhat unexpected past the first one and they felt really fun to use. Building them is when you'll maybe have to go "ok I need 48 of this thing so I need to go gather some more" and stuff but it's only for specific upgrades, you know your goal and how many you need to grind, and it usually goes fast if you focus on it, so it never felt bad imo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Hopefully this isn't spoilery, but I'd advise anyone starting out to figure out the sonar immediately once you get the minisub. I was almost to the end of the game when I bothered to get the blueprint and play around with it and holy shit it made a difference. I did the classic forehead slap that I hadn't been playing around with it for longer. I had already built it for the large sub and it was so much of a power draw to leave it on in that thing that I kind of wrote it off. It's much better as an exploration tool in the mini-sub.

This was a great game though, I need to remember to go back to the sequel Ice version at some point.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
New cinematic trailer for Below Zero released today. Looks like they’re planning the full launch on 5/14.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
New cinematic trailer for Below Zero released today. Looks like they’re planning the full launch on 5/14.

When they said they weren't going to release this one for VR it made me very sad.

• 1Solidarity

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Below Zero is out!

I played it for 2 hours and I am liking it so far. It is very, very reminiscent of the first game. It feels like a DLC really... but that isn't a bad thing. The game systems are familiar, but I will be interested to see what new elements they introduce along with the new content.

I am going to try and play it as spoiler free as possible. There were points in the first game I got stuck and had to look online where to go next. This time, I will just grind it out.

Let's GOOOOO!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I tried playing this when it first came and I just couldn't. It showed me that I have thalassophobia. I couldn't play the game during the night cycle. Literally scared the shit out of me.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Below Zero is out!

I played it for 2 hours and I am liking it so far. It is very, very reminiscent of the first game. It feels like a DLC really... but that isn't a bad thing. The game systems are familiar, but I will be interested to see what new elements they introduce along with the new content.

I am going to try and play it as spoiler free as possible. There were points in the first game I got stuck and had to look online where to go next. This time, I will just grind it out.

Let's GOOOOO!
i've been playing below zero off and on for like a year, but i have a hard time REALLY getting into it like the first one. the biggest issue, I THINK, is that i was around for different development cycles. initially, the character you play was just a regular person assigned to research the planet and your sister was up in orbit. the two of you would have regular communication. the biggest problem with that in THIS game is that it totally changed the tone. in the first one, you are alone. you are utterly alone and you are generally always filled with a pretty high sense of anxiety. everything you do, narratively, is in your hands. there is NO chance of rescue, you have to survive and get off the planet all on YOUR own skill and bravery.

but with below zero (early on in development) you didn't have that anxiety. i mean sure there was scary situations but the existential dread of being stranded and alone just wasn't there. i mean your sister is in space just chatting away with you and even though it's not a gameplay mechanic, you SHOULD be able to just call her to send in a rescue if you really need it.

obviously they have changed the story and i don't hate it, but that mentality has never left me for some reason. when i play below zero i'm not afraid like i was in the first one. /shrug

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
i've been playing below zero off and on for like a year, but i have a hard time REALLY getting into it like the first one. the biggest issue, I THINK, is that i was around for different development cycles. initially, the character you play was just a regular person assigned to research the planet and your sister was up in orbit. the two of you would have regular communication. the biggest problem with that in THIS game is that it totally changed the tone. in the first one, you are alone. you are utterly alone and you are generally always filled with a pretty high sense of anxiety. everything you do, narratively, is in your hands. there is NO chance of rescue, you have to survive and get off the planet all on YOUR own skill and bravery.

but with below zero (early on in development) you didn't have that anxiety. i mean sure there was scary situations but the existential dread of being stranded and alone just wasn't there. i mean your sister is in space just chatting away with you and even though it's not a gameplay mechanic, you SHOULD be able to just call her to send in a rescue if you really need it.

obviously they have changed the story and i don't hate it, but that mentality has never left me for some reason. when i play below zero i'm not afraid like i was in the first one. /shrug
I briefly looked at some footage post-story change and it seems like they still completely whooshed on what made the original so good. I'm honestly more tempted to fire the original back up again than I am to buy Below Zero.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Yeah, I agree completely. I played 2 hours of early access and know exactly what you are talking about. It was my biggest complaint also.

I used some self control and put it away till full release. Glad I did, because it is a completely different story now and my complaints that you also listed are completely have been adjusted.

Goonsquad Officer
In early access I seem to remember the main character being British and Indian. Now she seems very black with black enunciation, looking for her black sister who has curley hair in underwater world. One of the pads you start with have your sister complaining that her hair activation isn't working in the cold.

The ai voice that tells you about your oxygen or needing resources is wakandan voiced now.

Box art had curley black haired corn rows underwater.

I'm certain that all the dev resources revoicing the whole game is going to pay off big! Much experience enhancement. Gone is the silent Asian man from the first game.

(Only played about 20 Minutes so far. Made a knife and flippers. Not sure if the ham fisted black washing beligerance continues or if the characters become likable)

And I agree thst the first games crash and alone dread was great. I hope they lean into it more now with the re write.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I played the first game blind and loved it. I avoided Early Access on this one but bought it before work this evening. Looking forward to it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
In early access I seem to remember the main character being British and Indian. Now she seems very black with black enunciation, looking for her black sister who has curley hair in underwater world. One of the pads you start with have your sister complaining that her hair activation isn't working in the cold.

The ai voice that tells you about your oxygen or needing resources is wakandan voiced now.

Box art had curley black haired corn rows underwater.

I'm certain that all the dev resources revoicing the whole game is going to pay off big! Much experience enhancement. Gone is the silent Asian man from the first game.

(Only played about 20 Minutes so far. Made a knife and flippers. Not sure if the ham fisted black washing beligerance continues or if the characters become likable)

And I agree thst the first games crash and alone dread was great. I hope they lean into it more now with the re write.
As far the voice acting goes, I'm pretty sure they were all done in house with the intention of redubbing them with professionals after they finalized the story. Some of that could explain the change in character design, though I feel like you are making a specific point about changing the main character from a brown person to a differently brown person