Suicide Squad... the next "Arkham" game

Caliane

first of many “it’s really not bad…” type commentary. Give it time, these will be everywhere.
ssui.jpg

yes it is.

also beating the game, to get a "buy the battle pass" end credit scene. just no. indefensible.

Last edited:

Caliane

I liked City of Heroes before the woke police of that day overran it. Had a Jamaican Mind Controller it a tie died peace symbol outfit I named Reefer Madness and they outright deleted that character. Made a grappler inspired by the Most Extreme Elimination guy Green T Bagger, poof. Finally settled in on a force field defender and they redid all the nazi bad guys to not offend (redacted) and turned it into a grind fest. That was the last MMO I ever played, really.

Is DC Online really better than CoH was?
no. DC online, CoH, and Champions online all had bits and pieces of great fun. none nailed the whole package. Also, none grabbed the cultural zeitgeist of Warcraft, thus ultimately died like every other pretty decent mmo.

dconline did a great job with travel powers. especially superspeed. great job modeling gotham and Metropolis. great job with DC cameos. pretty solid raid/dungeon system.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I liked City of Heroes before the woke police of that day overran it. Had a Jamaican Mind Controller it a tie died peace symbol outfit I named Reefer Madness and they outright deleted that character. Made a grappler inspired by the Most Extreme Elimination guy Green T Bagger, poof. Finally settled in on a force field defender and they redid all the nazi bad guys to not offend (redacted) and turned it into a grind fest. That was the last MMO I ever played, really.

Is DC Online really better than CoH was?
I had a couple of characters getting nuked. We made an all black super group called The Soul Patrol. I was the Harlem Hammer, buddies were Ebony Beat, Original Recipe, and King Krunk. We mainly run around the atlas City and just harass people with our battle cries. I think that's why most of our characters would get deleted.

We had a few other goofy concepts that we would maybe play for 10 or 15 levels so then go make something else for fun.

I do remember when they replace the fifth column with a new name I forget what it is. I want to say it's something like the covenant.

DCUO was a really fantastic game for the time, but it's different than City of heroes. There's some aspects of it that are better but there are other things a city of heroes that I really enjoy.

In DCUO story missions for whatever faction you were playing as well as your patron were all very well voice acted, like Mark Hamill for the joker, and I want to say the guy who did Batman in the animated series.

A lot of the times if you were doing a dungeon there would be cut scenes where a villain or hero as the boss would yell some stuff and maybe another character would come in. The raids were the same. I think you're patron quest gave you a big series of missions that would culminate and getting some reward at the end. I think for the good guys your patrons were Superman, Batman, and Wonder woman. Villains were the joker, lex luthor, and cersei.

You'd end up going on different missions for your patrons related art nemesis and there was some goofy comic book story playing out. It was a lot of fun especially trying out the different ones and going through the different stories. I only played one or two of the expansions and they typically had a big story involved. I think the last one I did was with the Green lantern stuff.

The combat's really good though but I don't know if it's still holds up today, but again at the time it was a pseudo real-time combat, and the engine was surprisingly fluid. Everything just felt really good, very kinetic. I don't know much about DC comics other than just a top-level deal, but I recognize most of the characters throughout the game and it truly is just good old-fashioned comic book BS.

I mean if you could get two or three people to play it with you there's a lot of fun to be had. I know my computer at the time didn't run it on full settings but the graphics were pretty good and I bet nowadays on a current gen PC it'll play and look fantastic. Don't know if they're still doing updates but the last time I just scoped it out on their website there was a massive amount of content and they used to do all kinds of different seasonal events or holiday deals. I think if you just subscribe for $10 a month you get access to everything, but it is free to play, just don't know what the restrictions are. Believe you can buy particular modules but it's like why when you can just pay the subscription fee and have everything for a month or two.

Caliane

ok.

yet, he spends half of that vid complaining bout the exact things I called out.
Cookie cutter missions, repetitive missions, boring bosses, bullet sponge bosses. Npcs NOT SHUTTING UP.

I don't need to play the game myself to see that visual clutter. I play ALOT of games. that is horsetrash.

14:40. "considering the cacophony of things happening on screen all at once in an end game setting"

So somehow, I am just magically able to correctly notice, and assess major problems with the game, without directly playing it. must be magic. somehow, actually having my hands on it, must somehow fix these obvious problems.

the only response here is, all this garbage is a total deal breaker for me. That dude who "spent 10 years covering looter shooters" just loves looter shooters, and is giving it a pass for some reason.

Edit:farming promethium. hahah. shit, I guess you're right, mauler quit before fuckig around with that bullshit. THERE IS more garbage I didn't even see.

edit edit:
When your guy defending this game, says, "I had to turn off the voice, because they wont SHUT UP." Brah, when "I had to turn off sound effects, because it was raping my ears" comes out in a review. the words "its not that bad" is thrown out the window. yes it is that bad.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
It's only "bad" if you grade games on a 1 or 0 scale. It's pretty common around FoH so I get it, I guess.

The problem is when you are that binary that 'bad" get's lumped in with shit that literally won't even run.

I played through to the end game, showing 20 hours in Steam, probably 18-19 in reality (afk menu time subtracted). A lot of the complaints aren't even wrong they just aren't that big of a deal to me. I feel like I got my monies worth 7/10.

I just don't get why people insist on being so fucking hyperbolic about video games.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's only "bad" if you grade games on a 1 or 0 scale. It's pretty common around FoH so I get it, I guess.

The problem is when you are that binary that 'bad" get's lumped in with shit that literally won't even run.

I played through to the end game, showing 20 hours in Steam, probably 18-19 in reality (afk menu time subtracted). A lot of the complaints aren't even wrong they just aren't that big of a deal to me. I feel like I got my monies worth 7/10.

I just don't get why people insist on being so fucking hyperbolic about video games.
I just don't get why relentless shills won't take a hint and shut the fuck up.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I just don't get why relentless shills won't take a hint and shut the fuck up.
Yeah totally dude, don't let the people playing and enjoying the game detract from you and your Asperger buddies' free online therapy session. Go get a real fuckin shrink nerd, holy shit.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah totally dude, don't let the people playing and enjoying the game detract from you and your Asperger buddies' free online therapy session. Go get a real fuckin shrink nerd, holy shit.
Rocksteady isn't going to fuck you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenas

Trump's Staff
This is supposed to be a live service game and people are talking about endgame 20 hours in? What's the gameplay loop after that? Even the "it's not that bad" video from Datto says it's gonna be a one-and-done kind of game for him which means they have already failed at their main goal.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't played but watched a few videos since this is something I was looking forward to.

The issue seems to be mostly about the lack of content and repetitive gameplay loops with little variety in mission type and ennemy type.

Most people I've watched seem to find the gunplay and traversal to be pretty good.

So i think some people enjoy because the good shooting and traversal and tolerate the repetitive gameplay while for others the repetitive gameplay just overshadows the good gameplay.

That said, I'm passing on this. If it ever goes to gamepass or free on PS5, or on sales below $20 I may give it a shot if I have nothing else to play at the time.

Oh well another major disappointment, even though it was to be expected due to it's difficult development.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I think it was Champions Online that I preordered, played the Pre-Order Launch weekend, it was a great game, powers felt great, you really felt super, and somehow after two closed betas and an open one on Retail Launch day they dropped a HUGE nerf patch that wrecked so many builds, powers, and archetypes. I don't know how much I played after that but for me the game was DOA. If you haven't balanced it by pre-order launch, you get what you have coming.

Look man I paid $100 for this, they already did.
They didn't fuck you in the have sex with you meaning of the term; instead, you've been fucked.

Skill Up's review was pretty fair and while there were a few things he didn't quibble with, he absolutely didn't recommend the game.

Of course there is a contingent here retarded enough to vociferously enough defend this woke ass garbage of a game.
Look, I bought and played Anthem but who is going argue that shit like this is *good*? "Fake outrage"? There is SO much here to get really mad about.
It's not just Springbok but all of us who got fucked on this one, some just WAY more than others.

Cybsled

The issue seems to be mostly about the lack of content and repetitive gameplay loops with little variety in mission type and ennemy type.

Pretty much this. The main game has some pretty good writing in terms of banter between the squad and some genuinely funny moments, but the gameplay loop doesn't have much variety for the most part. Some of the weapons/gadgets you get do have different effects, like a anti-grav grenade. I suppose you could say that about a lot of live service games if you wanted to get technical

Cybsled

Finally settled in on a force field defender and they redid all the nazi bad guys to not offend (redacted) and turned it into a grind fest. That was the last MMO I ever played, really.

COH history time

They originally removed the Fifth Column and pretty much all German WW2 references "coincidentally" around the time the game launched in Europe and more specifically, Germany. They tried to play it off as "we want to evolve the story", but they got put on blast and one great post on the forums mentioned that the retcon of Atlas's sacrifice from solo stopping the German version of Pearl Harbor to dying to a bomb planted in an office "in the equivalent of a door mission" was fucking stupid, so they conceded and left the original Atlas sacrifice story.

Then they replaced the nazi villains with confederates lol. Then the forums blasted them again pointing out they censored the game for the German release, but then had no problem making the new badguys time traveling American slave owners. So they retconned it AGAIN and this time the Fifth Column replacement was called The Council, which were vaguely Italian fascist themed because no one gives a fuck about Italian fascists I guess. The story was The Council was the result of an internal coup inside the Fifth Column.

Then much later on, the original lead dev left the game and they brought back all the Fifth Column stuff and killed off his character (lol). They kept the Council as well and have an ongoing power struggle between the two factions as a plot point.

Also, the game always was a grind fest from day one. Some of the later changes, like making athletics baseline for all heroes so you don't have to wait 15 minutes between fights to regen your HP and endurance(mana) and softening some of the XP loss, removed some of that EQ1 era tedium and grind.

Btw, have you played it recently on the Homecoming servers? The guys running it are actually adding new content gradually and rebalanced a lot of the old power sets. Also, all the old P2W/cash shop shit is free so you can customize your character a lot more from the start.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I haven't played but watched a few videos since this is something I was looking forward to.

Most people I've watched seem to find the gunplay and traversal to be pretty good.

So i think some people enjoy because the good shooting and traversal and tolerate the repetitive gameplay while for others the repetitive gameplay just overshadows the good gameplay.

That said, I'm passing on this. If it ever goes to gamepass or free on PS5, or on sales below $20 I may give it a shot if I have nothing else to play at the time.

Oh well another major disappointment, even though it was to be expected due to it's difficult development.

This seems like a game you pickup on the first DLC drop.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

That's not 40 hours. You didn't get your monies worth.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

Full Roadmap and post-launch details for the Suicide Squad game​

Suicide squad game roadmap

(Image credit: Warner Bros. & Rocksteady)

Largely outlined by the development team in this video, as well as on the official X account (formerly twitter), the Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League roadmap of future updates highlights the following additions:

• New seasons: At least four free seasons of added content are planned, the first of which launches in March 2024 (future seasons have no official date yet). There'll also be two new episodes added with the first season, seemingly themed around Two-Face and Scarecrow.
  • New playable characters: It seems as though each season will be themed, and the first season is themed around its new playable character: The Joker. This is not the same Joker as from the Arkham games, but will be an alternate "Elseworlds" variant. There will be three more Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League characters to follow later on, presumably one per season. What characters they will be remains to be seen, though a likely contender is Deathstroke, who was teased as a future Squad team member in Arkham Origins.
  • New Battle Passes: Each Season will come with a new battle pass that awards cosmetics, including free and paid-for progression paths.
  • New Bosses and enemies: Players will go up against new bosses, imagery of which teases new versions of the Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League Green Lantern and Superman.
  • New environments: The first season will add new Joker-and-Gotham themed locations to explore - presumably where much of the new content will be found. Like with characters, it seems as though there'll be a new environment added for every season.