Summer 2014 Anime Thread

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Thanks those pretty much answer it. I think what throws me off is that the bomber just seems like some dude who came out of nowhere, doesn't mention being a hunter or backstory. He has no presence and doesn't seem very intimidating. Maybe just a swing and a miss for an antagonist on this arc to me. Especially the two guys with him.

One thing I love about One Piece is how consistent the strength generally is across the series. Oda really set it up early with Mihawk showing up and really hammering in the enormous gap between where they were at and the top guys and has been a decent progression since. I hope HxH kind of does similar.

velk

Trakanon Raider
One thing I love about One Piece is how consistent the strength generally is across the series. Oda really set it up early with Mihawk showing up and really hammering in the enormous gap between where they were at and the top guys and has been a decent progression since. I hope HxH kind of does similar.
HxH in some ways does the opposite - like the chairman isn't all that intimidating through most of it, but later on you get to see him going all out and.... wow ;p They make it pretty clear, that the tactics, strategy, psychology etc are all at least as important as raw power level. One of the examples you'd have already seen is Kurapika vs Chrollo - there's no question that in a straight up fight Chrollo would have torn him to pieces without raising a sweat.

Killua's dad still has the most hilarious takedown though IMO.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
HxH popped up on netflix last week so I decided to give it a try because of all the high praise here. I am just about done with the greed island arc and I am enjoying it, but I have a few questions that keep bugging me.

1) It seems like everyone in the world pretty much knew about Nen except the main guys. That makes sense for Gon since he was living on the island by himself, but how did Killua not know about it? He knew his brother was using "something" but you think he would have run into it in his line of work, or his family would have started teaching it to him by now if he was such a prodigy. I know it is not a big deal and regular people obviously don't know anything about it, but it has just become so common that I find it hard to believe Killua was oblivious until he met Wing.

2) Power levels are really throwing me off. The bomber guy seems really weak but they keep saying they have no chance against him yet? Even Bisky?? Is she just not a combat hunter, even though she owned that one guy and seems to be stronger than Gon/Killua currently? Even the guy they are working with and auditioned for is supposedly a single star hunter and too weak to beat him. Is single star hunter just 1 step beyond pro hunter or something and it goes to like 5 star? I mean, Razor seemed immensely powerful compared to all of these guys, would he have basically wiped the floor with everyone if it was a fight and not just sports? Are the phantom troupe still beyond all of them? Seems like Razor would be at least on par or better.

3) Why does Hisoka not want to fight Razor, bomber, or any of these other supposedly strong guys and only Chrollo? Was he just screwing around against Razor in the dodgeball game and is way stronger than it made him look there?

I know this is nitpicky stuff for a very good show and most of it is because "lolshonen". If the answer is keep watching that is fine too, because i definitely will. Just would like to understand the power level relations a little bit better.
#1 - Just age id say - he knew it was something but normal people dont recognize nen when they see it or when its used on them.
#2 - Bisky could have fuckin wrecked him but she didnt want to show off her power to the kids and let them see her bulky self
#3 - Hisoka is an eccentric and Razor tho strong didnt have the same sinister feel and overwhelming abilities as Chrollo - He was very strong but im pretty sure Hisoka could have taken him 1v1 pretty easily with tricks.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Even Bisky?? Is she just not a combat hunter, even though she owned that one guy and seems to be stronger than Gon/Killua currently? .
Bisky uses most of her power to look like a twelve year old girl, and her nen manifestation is a hair stylist. What could possibly make you think she was a combat Hunter 8)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i don't think bisky uses more power to transform to cute girl, rather, it's forced limitation in order to be a cute girl, since she abhors her ultimate combat form. unlike nartuo, tsunade has to constantly use chakra to look young and once depleted, old hag.

anime spoilers/assumptions about bisky
she is probably one of the most well known hunters, lets not forget she's a double star, she's been a hunter examiner b4, probably taught nen to alot more ppl, and in the final election she had the 9th most votes before they decided the cutoff was for 8, in an election where every hunter can be elected, having the 9th spot is pretty huge

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Need some help finding a series from 2-3 years ago..will be a pretty light description (bad memory). Sorta mecha-ish. Poor people live on Earth, rich people live on the Moon or some space station. Main character is a boy/teenager who is really good at delivering things in a crowded city; has friends who can work on mecha's. Eventually they build a mecha to compete in some arena where the winners can go live on the Moon/Station. Ring any bells?

velk

Trakanon Raider
anime spoilers/assumptions about bisky
she is probably one of the most well known hunters, lets not forget she's a double star, she's been a hunter examiner b4, probably taught nen to alot more ppl, and in the final election she had the 9th most votes before they decided the cutoff was for 8, in an election where every hunter can be elected, having the 9th spot is pretty huge
There aren't very many people voting, and even less are taking it seriously - bisky only got 8 votes, Kite got 4, despite being dead, and Gon got 1 ;p ( I'm assuming that's Leorio ). I thought it was pretty funny Ging got zero.

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
Need some help finding a series from 2-3 years ago..will be a pretty light description (bad memory). Sorta mecha-ish. Poor people live on Earth, rich people live on the Moon or some space station. Main character is a boy/teenager who is really good at delivering things in a crowded city; has friends who can work on mecha's. Eventually they build a mecha to compete in some arena where the winners can go live on the Moon/Station. Ring any bells?
Basquash!

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
A new 2-parter Mushishi episode came out as a warm-up for the return of the 2nd season in the Fall. Pretty good. I get the feeling they're setting up for something big for the season finale.

A new show coming up in Fall, called Terra ForMars, has an OVA out which is considered as an episode zero before the main series. The show is pretty brutal, like GANTZ. The premise is basically that mankind attempts to terraform Mars by putting mold and cockroaches on it. They send expeditions a few hundred years later to check it out, only to find the roaches have evolved to superhuman level. This might be an awesome show.

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
saw the terraformer ova, but well, drug induced bugs human/mutants vs evil humanized coacroaches aint really my cup of tea. Especially the fact that each mutant resemble different insect etc, dunno. Action in it was pretty ok with lot of blood, but i dont rly like the bug concept. Debating if watching the anime this coming fall.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not as much action this Aldnoah episode but at least we got a confirmation of who the bad guy really is.

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
meh id love an extended version a la psycho pass for aldnoah. well one can dream.

Gromit

Golden Knight of the Realm
Didn't expect things to work out that way for Slaine. Aldnoah still going strong!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
saw the terraformer ova, but well, drug induced bugs human/mutants vs evil humanized coacroaches aint really my cup of tea. Especially the fact that each mutant resemble different insect etc, dunno. Action in it was pretty ok with lot of blood, but i dont rly like the bug concept. Debating if watching the anime this coming fall.
i find the manga really boring and repetative basially a really long dragonball cell saga, this isn't eevn my final form!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
HxH movie on IPT - score!

Only 10mins in but seeing Wing, Zushi, Bisky and Hisoka already gives this a 30ft boner potential.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wish Irregular had longer episodes each week, such a good story to tell, but the shows are so short that it kills momentum. Aldnoah finally got serious.

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wish Irregular had longer episodes each week, such a good story to tell, but the shows are so short that it kills momentum. Aldnoah finally got serious.
if you like reading go to bakatsuki and read the lightnovels. Translations are not the best, but its passable, and the main plot story is really good. Plus you get lot more details for each characters and their backgrounds. Only minus is that u basically going to know what is gonna happen in each episode of the anime, but well... doesnt really ruin it for me.