Summer 2020 Anime Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Oh my God !! God of High School is amazing. Never read the webtoon...guess I need to, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
May I just come in here and say, as I officially turned 50 recently, I find myself watching anime instead of movies and standard western television.

I haven't been excited at a movie announcement since Prometheus (and looked what that got me), and I don't even turn on my TV anymore if my kid isn't here - now that there are no sports.

I have been enjoying some of the better offerings on Netflix, and perusing some selections on Crunchyroll.

I especially like deep and dark themed anime. Aside from the homoerotic overtones I thought Berzerk was great. I was pretty meh on Goblin Hunter after all the hype. Loved Attack on Titan. My favorite to date is probably Evangelion - so weird but so amazing. I can still hear the shrill background sounds of the crickets on the environment scenes. I really liked Kengan Ashura on Netflix. Currently watching Akame ga Kill and liking it so far.

So I am coming in here for some recommendations. I didn't find a general anime thread around here, but you can redirect me there if that is preferrable.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
There's like 50 new anime a season, so it all just seems to get lumped into one thread per season for less forum spam.

Just a few easy recommendations, I think you'd like Fate/Zero, Re:Zero (thumbnail for the thread) and Parasyte: The Maxim. If you want big fighting mecha, then Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans is quite brutal. And if you want to wade a bit deeper into weebitude, Madoka Magica is basically a dark version of Sailor Moon. And if you just want some emotionally fucked up shit featuring high schoolers, there's always ef:Tale of Memories/Melodies.

And for the complete opposite direction, Gurren Lagann.

• 1Like

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
May I just come in here and say, as I officially turned 50 recently, I find myself watching anime instead of movies and standard western television.

I haven't been excited at a movie announcement since Prometheus (and looked what that got me), and I don't even turn on my TV anymore if my kid isn't here - now that there are no sports.

I have been enjoying some of the better offerings on Netflix, and perusing some selections on Crunchyroll.

I especially like deep and dark themed anime. Aside from the homoerotic overtones I thought Berzerk was great. I was pretty meh on Goblin Hunter after all the hype. Loved Attack on Titan. My favorite to date is probably Evangelion - so weird but so amazing. I can still hear the shrill background sounds of the crickets on the environment scenes. I really liked Kengan Ashura on Netflix. Currently watching Akame ga Kill and liking it so far.

So I am coming in here for some recommendations. I didn't find a general anime thread around here, but you can redirect me there if that is preferrable.

Also kinda depends (though not so much anymore) if you're willing to watch subs or want Dubs in English.

I don't know if you're into MMO type games etc but a favorite of the winter season here was Bofuri, it's just all around fun. Everyone I have directed to it that's played WoW or EQ or similar really enjoys it:

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
There's like 50 new anime a season, so it all just seems to get lumped into one thread per season for less forum spam.

Just a few easy recommendations, I think you'd like Fate/Zero, Re:Zero (thumbnail for the thread) and Parasyte: The Maxim. If you want big fighting mecha, then Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans is quite brutal. And if you want to wade a bit deeper into weebitude, Madoka Magica is basically a dark version of Sailor Moon. And if you just want some emotionally fucked up shit featuring high schoolers, there's always ef:Tale of Memories/Melodies.

This covers a lot of what springs to my mind with a dark tone.

Some other possibilities in no particular order - Psycho-Pass, Made in Abyss, 'Now and Then, Here and There ', Mirai Nikki, Mnemosyne, Death Note, Shinsekai Yori, Darker than Black, Elfen Lied

Note that both Madoka and Made in Abyss look a lot like something they aren't for the first few episodes. This is a trap ;p

Also don't confuse Fate/Zero with the other Fate/X, they are pretty much all trash, wildly different genres or both.

For something entirely different to any other anime you've watched you could also try Monster. I can understand it being too slow for many people, but in my opinion it was both unique and excellent.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
My favorite to date is probably Evangelion - so weird but so amazing.So I am coming in here for some recommendations. I didn't find a general anime thread around here, but you can redirect me there if that is preferrable.
you lucky cunt, if you haven't heard, almost 15years ago they launched evangelion rebuild, basically making evangelion as a more better everything. youre supposed to view these 4 movies as the ultimate final cut

i say youre lucky cuz they release a movie every 4 years, ha
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time - was supposed to be launched last month, but covid, however you can watch the other 3 and wait for the final one, imo i do believe they've made it a better story (so far)

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
So I am coming in here for some recommendations.
The very first recommendation I always give is to check out movies, especially the classic ones. Even things that look like it is aimed at children can touch on philosophical themes and/or can be pretty brutal at times. Here is a list of recommendation images from 4chan. Quality varies:

Start here:

Personal recommendation: Watch everything from Satoshi Kon. From Perfect Blue to Paranoia Agent to Paprika not a single dud. Also the basic recommendations go like this:

princess-tutu-what-i-expected.jpg

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Awesome. It is sometimes a little touchy to ask recommendations and list your preferences in such a partisan subject lol. Sorry Brahma.

I bookmarked this page. Thanks everyone.

I actually prefer subtitles to dubbing. I really got into foreign movies a while back (South Korean, Scandinavian, etc) once Hollywood started not only smelling their own farts but eating their own shit, and watching dubs of real people speaking is jarring to me. So I always prefer the subs, even when going to animated people.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Awesome. It is sometimes a little touchy to ask recommendations and list your preferences in such a partisan subject lol. Sorry Brahma.

I actually prefer subtitles to dubbing. I really got into foreign movies a while back (South Korean, Scandinavian, etc) once Hollywood started not only smelling their own farts but eating their own shit, and watching dubs of real people speaking is jarring to me. So I always prefer the subs, even when going to animated people.
this bookmark is only good until the end of the summer dawg, every season (winter/spring/summer/fall) we start a new thread, b/c that is how animes are released

probably the only dubs that are good are studio gibli dubs, it's been said that they are expertly localized, with good voice actors and they even change the lips to match the language.

oh and transformers and dbz, fuck off jap goku

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
you lucky cunt, if you haven't heard, almost 15years ago they launched evangelion rebuild, basically making evangelion as a more better everything. youre supposed to view these 4 movies as the ultimate final cut

i say youre lucky cuz they release a movie every 4 years, ha
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time - was supposed to be launched last month, but covid, however you can watch the other 3 and wait for the final one, imo i do believe they've made it a better story (so far)

After watching all of it available to me, I read a bunch of stuff online about the troubles that occurred during the making of it all, about interpretations of the various versions of the ending, etc etc.

What a ride, man. That poor kid really got fucked inside out lol. The sheer fact that it happened to a 14 year old is all the more amazing.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
this bookmark is only good until the end of the summer dawg, every season (winter/spring/summer/fall) we start a new thread, b/c that is how animes are released

probably the only dubs that are good are studio gibli dubs, it's been said that they are expertly localized, with good voice actors and they even change the lips to match the language.

oh and transformers and dbz, fuck off jap goku

Yeah, I know, when I searched "anime" I saw all the seasonal threads.

I am not a rabid consumer, however, so this page will probably serve me for a while.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

LOL it's all good. Different strokes and all that.

Try Demon Slayer.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah, I know, when I searched "anime" I saw all the seasonal threads.

I am not a rabid consumer, however, so this page will probably serve me for a while.

Don't worry, you'll get through the different steps, like we all did.

• 1Worf

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

No one mentioned Promised Neverland, and I never got past the first episode since I thought the premise was super stupid, but many people enjoyed it. I'll also second Shinseki Yori.

Edit: Yes, Rem still best girl. Is Subaru immune to the memory loss due to being not of that world?

Malkav

French Madman
In case people missed it, that one second frame when Gluttony consumes Rem's name and memories.

rem.PNG

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Re:Zero is probably the absolute best one for recent darker anime. Dororo was very dark. Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-Tachi was another one. Vinland Saga was violent and good.

To plug lighter fantastic ones you should still watch, One Punch Man, My Hero Academia, and Kono Suba to name some of my favorites.