Summer Olympics 2021

Fucker

Log Wizard
I can't believe I'm going to actually defend modern sissy athletes, but here goes nothing....

Biles cracked under pressure, for sure, but I don't fully blame her. It's a definite 'life comes at you fast' moment, but my main issue is with the lying as media trying to whitewash the incident and blame everyone else and make excuses and all the things they always do to avoid basic reporting. In the interview I saw, Biles wasn't making excuses, admitted she screwed up because she was frustrated, and then tried to get the interview back to the team and their accomplishment. Maybe it was just deflection, but I saw her after-the-incident reactions as being pretty professional and classy, so she gets credit there.

People who are fans have been concerned for a long time. I guess she had been caught on camera earlier in the year, during competitions, saying she wished she'd just die and shit. Something was going on, and the question becomes was anyone addressing it? I mean, yeah, she's the one that snapped, but there's also an entire organization involved that ignored minors being diddled for years and other abuses. Did they also ignore a gymnast seeming very down on herself, and for many months now, to the point she was expressing suicidal thoughts out load with cameras and teammates around? I give her credit for going out there and continuing to work when maybe she shouldn't have.

Her pushing through personal issues or mental health issues didn't work out and she broke under pressure, but shit happens and she doesn't have a history of quitting or being selfish or anything like that. It was literally a breaking point, not one of a long history of tantrums. She's not typically a detriment to the team or a problem. Something caused her to crack, and she freaked out. Then she didn't blame everyone else or make up an injury. In an interview where the interviewer was trying to sugar coat she didn't go along with excuses or anything, just owned up to it and shifted to making sure the team was getting praise and recognition they deserved.

If she shouldn't be allowed to compete going forward, it should be because she's still struggling with whatever issues caused her to break. I don't believe in punishing her just for snapping when she's been pretty solid in the past and doesn't have a history of selfish bullshit.

Same with Naomi Osaka, who is a bit more prone to drama, but as I recall it she had been having anxiety issues, specifically tried to get permission to not do certain interviews and media appearances because of it, and I swear I remember was told she wouldn't have to, and then when she got there they were like just kidding you have a contract we lied to get you here suck it up. And to her credit, she just said that's fine and quit. It's not like she demanded pay or to get special treatment that I remember, when, if she's having legit medical or mental health issues, I'm actually okay with some amount of accommodation for that, especially for younger athletes.

It sucks and is kinda lame our society is so soft, but mental health issues are still issues. I guess the decision we make as a society is if we think they're legit reasons to be taken seriously medically, or just part of the job so fuck you deal with it. The argument is that we've all had stress in our jobs. We've also all had jobs where our bosses probably didn't give a shit if we called in sick because of it, and probably had resources that would support us, and if we were cracking under pressure would probably be bitching or suing if our bosses were like sorry, sucks to be you, nobody cares, now get out there in front of the entire fucking world and try not to disappoint 350 million people!

Shit situation and both deserve some measure of blame (and even a little ridicule), but even as the asshole I am I'm not going to put as much blame and direct as much ire at either Biles (or Naomi Osaka) as some people are. I don't see the need to punish Biles for choking and not let her compete individually (though I have some concerns about her mental health and whether it's smart. If she can manage it, it's still her spot and would be an awesome story and good on her.

The media are shitheels and can get fucked for enabling our coddled society that uses and abuses and forgets athletes at their leisure. And all the organizations involved seem fucked up and could use some changes so they stop being so dysfunctional and abusive, especially when so many athletes are minors who've been under the umbrella of these organizations since they were kids and keep getting diddled, for instance. And the Olympics have sucked anyway, especially because of Covid that I think fucked over a lot of these athletes regarding training and mental health like a lot of especially young people with Covid hysteria.

I guess I see them as defective products of our society, not the cause of societal issues, so will cut them some slack.
LEL. I said hours ago people would start calling her a hero for quitting, and I was right.

Just you wait, she's going to do individual competition, and people will be calling her comeback heroic. I bet her team mates won't be calling her that.

What a world we live in, where quitters are called heroes and are praised for throwing their team under the bus.

This is the same woman who claims she's GOAT.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So my ex gf is competing for her country (not USA) in her sport. If she wins maybe I’ll give her a second chance.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
LEL. I said hours ago people would start calling her a hero for quitting, and I was right.

Just you wait, she's going to do individual competition, and people will be calling her comeback heroic. I bet her team mates won't be calling her that.

What a world we live in, where quitters are called heroes and are praised for throwing their team under the bus.

This is the same woman who claims she's GOAT.

Read the thread? We already called out the blind media praise and people trying to twist this into a victory instead of a fucked up situation. And we already called out the lol of the goat on her shoulder. So you didn't call anything and nobody is twisting her choking into a hero power move.

Probably why you had to up come in with hot takes that are half a day old.

• 1Imbecile
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Maybe she can get a participation medal like what Biles got.
Did you read what I wrote? She’s not competing for the U.S. She’s competing for a Latin American country.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Read the thread? We already called out the blind media praise and people trying to twist this into a victory instead of a fucked up situation. And we already called out the lol of the goat on her shoulder. So you didn't call anything and nobody is twisting her choking into a hero power move.

Probably why you had to up come in with hot takes that are half a day old.
I triggered you because I picked on your little sweetie? LMAO.

• 1Picard

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I would have murdered my coach and done the vault anyways if I were in her position and the coach said no.

Wow, you're a real hypothetical bad ass. Congratulations on imagining yourself playing through imaginary pain!

With regard to Biles, I've heard it said that one of the hardest things to do in sports is to show up when everyone expects you to dominate and actually do it. I've never been the best at anything, sports or otherwise, so I can't relate personally. It's surprising because obviously she has come through under pressure throughout her career but she cracked today.

• 1Like
  • 1Midwit
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
she cracked today.
But that's just it, she didn't crack. She absolutely shattered on the biggest stage imaginable. I mean if we'd lost gold because she just had a shitty day then so be it, but she straight up walked out on the team before the event was done.

• 4Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
But that's just it, she didn't crack. She absolutely shattered on the biggest stage imaginable. I mean if we'd lost gold because she just had a shitty day then so be it, but she straight up walked out on the team before the event was done.

Might have lost silver too if she'd stayed in. Her one score in the event she participated in was not good and the girls that replaced her in the other events had solid scores except for the floor routine.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Might have lost silver too if she'd stayed in. Her one score in the event she participated in was not good and the girls that replaced her in the other events had solid scores except for the floor routine.
MJ never took himself out of a game because he was worried he couldn't cut it, unlike LeBron and Scotty. There is a reason why MJ never had goat icons anywhere on him and still doesn't. If you are a real GOAT then it is unnecessary.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
At least I agree that it’s good she was out. You either do or don’t, she didn’t.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
MJ was pissy about the NBA looking into gambling stuff and started being an asshole about the media and refusing to do media spots and then emotionally couldn't deal with it all after his father's death and being a constant distraction talking about how he could just say fuck it walk away at any time and then did exactly that and walked away in his prime leaving the team in the hands of No Tippin Pippen so he could pursue fucking baseball and then waltzed back in and rejoined the team in the middle of the season like it was no biggie after costing himself and teammates two years of prime competitiveness.

Pretty dumb fucking example of how to do it right.

It's okay to just admit the stress gets to be too much and sometimes even the greats spazz out. Can just be a thing that happened without blowing it up to retarded extremes the way the media likes to do.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
waltzed back in and rejoined the team in the middle of the season like it was no biggie after costing himself and teammates two years of prime competitiveness.
It's his fucking life. You might have a point if he'd walked out on the team in the middle of the NBA finals, which is essentially what Biles did.

• 4Like

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
I'm thinking the league forced MJ to take a few years off so they didn't have to address the gambling issue. He didn't do it voluntarily.

Sterling

El Presidente
I feel like there's definitely aspects of Jordan that are way overblown and his era is overrated, but thinking anything he's done is comparable to what this Biles thing looks like is preposterous.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'm thinking the league forced MJ to take a few years off so they didn't have to address the gambling issue. He didn't do it voluntarily.

And covered up the issues by finding none? I think maybe they suspected something bad, but was there ever any evidence of anything more than a rich and competitive guy making things interesting with what seemed like a lot of money but amounted to pocket change to him?