Super Knight Man in Steel - Made by Our Own pwe!

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Since I mostly play games like Vampire Survivors I made my own mini-clone.

Click to run in browser

Let me know if something is fun, or even more important, if it sucks :) Preferably why.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since I mostly play games like Vampire Survivors these I made my own mini-clone.

Click to run in browser

Let me know if something is fun, or even more important, if it sucks :) Preferably why.
Making your own thing is great! I don't really play those so my advice sucks, but I got overwhelmed pretty fast on my first couple of plays. Don't they normally have a larger scrolling area so you have some room to run away a little for a breather? I know that adds some complexity, but maybe for the sequel :)

pwe

Making your own thing is great! I don't really play those so my advice sucks, but I got overwhelmed pretty fast on my first couple of plays. Don't they normally have a larger scrolling area so you have some room to run away a little for a breather? I know that adds some complexity, but maybe for the sequel :)
Yes they normally do :p I refactored an old game that was single screen.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Would love a Master volume slider and a button to close Settings/Shop while on fullscreen already since escape just kicks me out of fullscreen.

pwe

Would love a Master volume slider and a button to close Settings/Shop while on fullscreen already since escape just kicks me out of fullscreen.
You are right, I kept forgetting that. Both are added now. And ty for the feedback. btw, backspace works too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pwe

hmm are you required to log in to itch.io?

Here is a Newgrounds link.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
hmm are you required to log in to itch.io?

Here is a Newgrounds link.
I've been able to play without logging in on itch.io.

Random things I took note of:
It would be nice to have a way to see how much gold I have banked when I'm just restarting games over and over, not as much of an issue starting out now that you don't get overwhelmed so easily but its not reasonable to get an upgrade at the end of every run, so when you are doing several in a row for a target upgrade, it would be nice to be able to see the total.

Sometimes I rage restart by mistake and would like to quit to the main menu but there is no option for that, just being able to bring up the menu for pause effect on demand would be great too.

When coins go offscreen its hard to keep track of them, it would be great if there was some kind of arrow telling me some are there so I can pick them up later or just not going offscreen at all.

Darkness is fun, it adds this 1-2 punch with some risk reward associated with it, once I see it pop I want to go to it for some easy slaughter as I destroy the enemies caught inside but getting to it might be dangerous and its risky to be near it when it explodes the enemies back.
I think it would be cool to have some kind of visual feedback of how many I killed in each darkness or something, to increase the dopamine hit.
Maybe also increase the risk by making the explosion in the end do dmg? so you can't just cheese it with enough dmg of your own.
Could lean into the risk/reward and give a kiss/curse upgrade, like more range grabbing enemies but bigger explosion in the end or some such.

pwe

It would be nice to have a way to see how much gold I have banked when I'm just restarting games over and over, not as much of an issue starting out now that you don't get overwhelmed so easily but its not reasonable to get an upgrade at the end of every run, so when you are doing several in a row for a target upgrade, it would be nice to be able to see the total.

Sometimes I rage restart by mistake and would like to quit to the main menu but there is no option for that, just being able to bring up the menu for pause effect on demand would be great too.

When coins go offscreen its hard to keep track of them, it would be great if there was some kind of arrow telling me some are there so I can pick them up later or just not going offscreen at all.

Darkness is fun, it adds this 1-2 punch with some risk reward associated with it, once I see it pop I want to go to it for some easy slaughter as I destroy the enemies caught inside but getting to it might be dangerous and its risky to be near it when it explodes the enemies back.
I think it would be cool to have some kind of visual feedback of how many I killed in each darkness or something, to increase the dopamine hit.
Maybe also increase the risk by making the explosion in the end do dmg? so you can't just cheese it with enough dmg of your own.
Could lean into the risk/reward and give a kiss/curse upgrade, like more range grabbing enemies but bigger explosion in the end or some such.
That's some quality feedback. Rage restarting is new :) I will look into this after a bit of Baldurs Gate 3.

pwe

You can now see total gold at game over screen. Also added pause menu so you can quit a game.

• 1Like

Caliane

hp regen is bugged I think. it does not activate when you choose it. it activates after you take damage the first time, after picking it. sometimes..

also the triple dagger upgrade is too much. its like the other stuff might as well not even exist.

I like the idea of the ducks as being a target to go after mid fight. the heart icon makes it seem like they heal you though. (probably should heal 5hp, when you grab one)

id also say be careful with the math. some of the early upgrades seem useless due to it. 10% damage upgrade. you deal 50 damage, enemies have 100 hp. 2 hits to kill. 10% 55 damage.. still 2 hits. the breakpoints on most of the damage upgrades make them useless until they aren't. I'd try to target so these damage upgrades are more meaningful. more enemies with more varied hp, so theres multiple breakpoints. or, tune hp/base damage/upgrades better.

Last edited:

pwe

hp regen is bugged I think. it does not activate when you choose it. it activates after you take damage the first time, after picking it. sometimes..

also the triple dagger upgrade is too much. its like the other stuff might as well not even exist.

I like the idea of the ducks as being a target to go after mid fight. the heart icon makes it seem like they heal you though. (probably should heal 5hp, when you grab one)

id also say be careful with the math. some of the early upgrades seem useless do to it. 10% damage upgrade. you deal 50 damage, enemies have 100 hp. 2 hits to kill. 10% 55 damage.. still 2 hits. the breakpoints on most of the damage upgrades make them useless until they aren't. I'd try to target so these damage upgrades are more meaningful. more enemies with more varied hp, so theres multiple breakpoints. or, tune hp/base damage/upgrades better.
I was at a point where I wanted to know if anyone but me would find it enjoyable. Should I add more levels, more weapons, more effects, more, more more ;) I have some great feedback now and I will polish and tune the 15 min experience. I have a ton of enemy sprites so... Inc %t.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I was just coming to post almost everything that Caliane Caliane said.

HP Regen was working but then after a few reloads it stopped altogether. I also couldn't tell if Crit was working b/c it never showed a notification and none of my damage numbers ever changed.

Pretty fun and was having a good time until Newgrounds went down or something. Hopefully all progress isn't reset once it comes back up.

Triple Dagger is way OP though, but added a lot of enjoyment in being able to get further along.

pwe

I was just coming to post almost everything that Caliane Caliane said.

HP Regen was working but then after a few reloads it stopped altogether. I also couldn't tell if Crit was working b/c it never showed a notification and none of my damage numbers ever changed.

Pretty fun and was having a good time until Newgrounds went down or something. Hopefully all progress isn't reset once it comes back up.

Triple Dagger is way OP though, but added a lot of enjoyment in being able to get further along.
Triple is being changed into a new skill. You will still get your gold back from the old missing skill with refund all. I'm aiming not to break things, but I'm just an amateur designer :p

Edit: crit was way too low. Fixed now.

Last edited:

pwe

I'm making a lot of changes based on your feedback and every step feels better than the last. You are clearly doing a better design job than I was. So keep them coming and I'll be the chatPWE that tries to implement them.

btw, the goal is to put it on Steam (free), just for fun. With credits to you designers here of course, if you don't mind. Maybe a new category, too early access.

Edit: if you want to do some real testing I can tell you in private how to cheat.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm making a lot of changes based on your feedback and every step feels better than the last. You are clearly doing a better design job than I was. So keep them coming and I'll be the chatPWE that tries to implement them.

btw, the goal is to put it on Steam (free), just for fun. With credits to you designers here of course, if you don't mind. Maybe a new category, too early access.

Edit: if you want to do some real testing I can tell you in private how to cheat.

Can progress be saved at all on Newgrounds? I haven’t played a browser game since Ebaums or whatever existed back 20 years ago.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Most successful games do take feedback from players so don’t feel like you’ve failed at design. Just have to do something that seems fun then let people tell you things about it.

Just remember you can’t (and shouldn’t) please everyone. I’ve seen devs get very stressed or upset when something gets negative feedback. It may even be something that most people like but a couple very vocal people rip into something. Cool little project, good luck. I’d also suggest putting it on Steam for like $1-$2. You never know, it could take off and fund a better project or pay some bills.