Super Knight Man in Steel - Made by Our Own pwe!

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Newgrounds shows me this:

View attachment 486570
That's me showing that. Every player gets a random id for statistics, or reuses the existing one stored in browser data. 'Logged in' is just a debug message showing me that the user has an id, and the stats server has been reached (I use Playfab). I don't really need that message anymore.

0.81 is game version and TEA is 'too early access'.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah sorry was just showing you the version on Newgrounds since earlier you made a comment about the NG version being behind or something. Just in case mine was not refreshed or whatever.

pwe

Yeah sorry was just showing you the version on Newgrounds since earlier you made a comment about the NG version being behind or something. Just in case mine was not refreshed or whatever.
Ah, I get it. V0.81 is the latest relased, so that looks correct.

pwe

Final boss added (at 15:00). The game can now be completed.

Link

Next:
  1. more variety
  2. balancing (will look at feedback)
  3. polish

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pwe

If you give it a go it would be awesome if you could comment on the difficulty. It would be a great help for the balancing phase.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pwe

What the actual f... I didn't realize save games where consistently lost on Newgrounds every time a new version was uploaded (reason: their internal url changes).

Using this link save games will NOT be lost: Unity hosted

That will be the only location for now, since Steam is the target anyways.

As usual there are a bunch of changes.

1692374356130.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pwe

nice.

I've been busy and not had any time to playtest, or give feedback.
That's cool. I'm just about to get to the part where I will look at the feedback, but plenty of other things I can do still.

pwe

Not related but a pierce mod would make range on knives a much more desirable stat.
An alternative to the fan of knives could be a chain effect? Where the knife jumps to the nearest enemy and then you could have more chains for this effect vs more pierce for the fan effect.

Kyougou Kyougou I've added the chain effect, but kept the fan. It feels and looks cool :cool: It keeps going until full range is used up, so +range is much better now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burst of frost/dagger storm is what trivializes things once you get a few upgrades. Then any combination of haste, defense, heal (i tend to take the duck heal instead of regen) will make things easy provided you keep an eye on casters. I tend to bum rush them to freeze them. The axe and saw are just gravy, so I only upgrade them when nothing better presents itself. I wasn't impressed with darkness, poison, or lightsaber penguin, so never chose them. I don't have good replacement suggestions but will give it some thought.

The only real threat I find is from casters. Change those fireballs to snowballs, increase fire rate (1.5 maybe), and make them immune to frost (for lore reasons).

Edaw Edaw Burst of frost, dagger storm and duck heal are all... well, nerfed (the N-word). Also, casters can no longer be frozen and they cast more often. Other options were buffed instead, though. Poison was completely redesigned to be blizzard-like now. Somewhat same damage and slow, but very different in usage. Darkness removed, for now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Path of exile handles crits well. (it does also have the crit/crit damage problem) but it also smartlydid something else. Crits apply ailments. freeze, burn, shock, stun.
That would work great here imho. If crits applied a stun, pushback, or bleed effect for example. its way more interesting then just double dipping damage scaling.

Caliane Caliane You are right, plain crit is not that interesting, at least in this implementation. I am still looking for an improvement... Maybe crits could fill up a bar (particles flying from enemy to bar) and "something" cool could happen when full. PoE solution sounds complicated. I'd like something that can be communicated in one sentence, and also not too much work :p Zap/shock that chains might be cool, though... Chain lightning.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, was really motivating.

Balancing has come a long way (in the beginning it's about buying upgrades, but skill becomes more and more important) , so right now I'm looking at things like colors / theme / setting. Are pirate ducks really optimal here? was just using what I had available. And a short story from chatGPT. Stuff like that.

And sound effects... work work.
1692560979699.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pwe

This is it for now.

Balance is as I prefer. Challenging, but I can complete it. It's pretty chaotic the last half or so, but I find it really fun. And I think the boss turned out really well, if quite simple. And credits to ChatGPT for a story :p

Fixed save issue, so back on Newgrounds.

Thanks for all the fish, and the awesome feedback. I'll patch it with some FoH design credits at some point. If it doesn't get trash reviews, that is, in which case I assume you'd prefer I don't :p Still going Steam at some point, just for fun.

1692687182015.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
New league of PoE dropped a few days ago, so not a lot of time but I promise I'll get back to this soon and I'll provide feedback!

• 1Weird Boner