Super Knight Man in Steel - Made by Our Own pwe!

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
From my experience progress either resets each session (browser wide) or maybe each time there is an update? I'm not sure, but it has been cleaned every time I got back to the game.

Also, do you get any info from our games? So you can take a look at average life length and gold/xp, time of death etc.
If not, could you possibly implement some kind of game log that we could have access too and share with you?

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
btw, the goal is to put it on Steam (free), just for fun.
That would be great, but don't put it up for free. Do something like what maelfyn maelfyn did with Nevergrind Online and just give us and anyone you want to have try it out beta codes.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
From my experience progress either resets each session (browser wide) or maybe each time there is an update? I'm not sure, but it has been cleaned every time I got back to the game.

Also, do you get any info from our games? So you can take a look at average life length and gold/xp, time of death etc.
If not, could you possibly implement some kind of game log that we could have access too and share with you?

Same, I can't get any progress to save but just figured that was due to browser settings or blocks, etc. Not a big deal but would like to finish off trying some stuff and having fun.

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

That sucks. I have an alternative I can try.

I do get some info. Not perfect but far better then nothing. 75 unique players so far, and 5 or so are me. Not a lot :)

EDIT: and if you can't save anything you will probably also have multiple users created. So very few people tried it. Which is probably just as well, with all the changes.

1691594855394.png

1691594884625.png

Last edited:

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
That sucks. I have an alternative I can try.

I do get some info. Not perfect but far better then nothing. 75 unique players so far, and 5 or so are me. Not a lot :)

View attachment 485954

View attachment 485955
Would be interesting to know what choices the player had and what upgrade they selected. With enough data you could reasonably conclude which upgrades players perceive as being better or worse.
It would be harder to tell exactly how impactful those upgrades are, even with a lot of data, but still interesting to look at and compare with player choices.

pwe

Would be interesting to know what choices the player had and what upgrade they selected. With enough data you could reasonably conclude which upgrades players perceive as being better or worse.
It would be harder to tell exactly how impactful those upgrades are, even with a lot of data, but still interesting to look at and compare with player choices.
It does get logged but currently I have no way of summing things up to some useful information. It would be very nice. Priorities, priorities...

pwe

Most successful games do take feedback from players so don’t feel like you’ve failed at design. Just have to do something that seems fun then let people tell you things about it.

Just remember you can’t (and shouldn’t) please everyone. I’ve seen devs get very stressed or upset when something gets negative feedback. It may even be something that most people like but a couple very vocal people rip into something. Cool little project, good luck. I’d also suggest putting it on Steam for like $1-$2. You never know, it could take off and fund a better project or pay some bills.
I get to use the music for free provided the game is also free. They have A LOT of cool tunes: 8 Bit Universe. I will probably change the intro tune, but so many to choose from...

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I get to use the music for free provided the game is also free. They have A LOT of cool tunes: 8 Bit Universe. I will probably change the intro tune, but so many to choose from...
Theres a bunch of fun royalty free music out there.

Check this video out:

Every track there is royalty free with only a symbolic donation required, can be anything you want, even a dollar and you get the license docs.
Boss Time and Menu sound pretty good to potentially replace the ones you have atm. They even come in separate smaller tracks that you can loop to make the song longer and fit the level.

Thats just the first result from a quick search, there is plenty out there.

pwe

Theres a bunch of fun royalty free music out there.

Check this video out:

Every track there is royalty free with only a symbolic donation required, can be anything you want, even a dollar and you get the license docs.
Boss Time and Menu sound pretty good to potentially replace the ones you have atm. They even come in separate smaller tracks that you can loop to make the song longer and fit the level.

Thats just the first result from a quick search, there is plenty out there.
Cool, I will have a look... a listen.
Same, I can't get any progress to save but just figured that was due to browser settings or blocks, etc. Not a big deal but would like to finish off trying some stuff and having fun.
A new version is published with the save method changed.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I think the new save method is working, I'll let you know on future attempts.

More random thoughts:
Dagger storm is so good compared to every other permanent upgrade just because of how it has synergy with a lot of permanent and temporary upgrades like knives per round, lower knife cooldown, knife damage, really anything that affects knifes also provides bonus dmg to Dagger storm.
Its awesome though and I don't think it trivializes the game in any way, at least at my skill level. Feels like the other skills need some more synergy and options to bring them up to this level.

I find myself not really wanting to pick up the duck lightsaber keep away because it doesn't really provide me any real advantage once I get Dagger storm and I am able to move where I want to and sometimes it even kind of works against me, the duck spawn explosion is already somewhat troublesome to deal with, but rightfully so, I think its a good thing.
Would love to have the duck lightsaber everything away when I pick him up though!

Darkness seems to not have a lot of upgrade options beyond just happening/moving faster, might I suggest:
- Enemies killed inside darkness have a higher chance to drop gold and/or xp.
- Increase in range

Diagonal walking feels way faster, because it probably is, but please don't ever change that. Its got that nice old school feel to it.
Its like this thing that you can kind of abuse but isn't really overpowered or anything.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I appreciate that your default magnet level feels enough to suck in the xp / gold but not so OP that you're collecting from across the map. Too many of this genre cut off your ability to get gold/xp and hide the upgrades behind the shop. This feels good at the outset.

I've avoided duck lightsaber and darkness for basically the same reasons and that is enemy displacement (or unplanned displacement) is more of an impediment than a benefit. Darkness especially I've lost run b/c the explosion catapulted enemies on top of me and killed me. Not sure how to address that other than maybe iframes when monsters are launched from it or significantly more logic surrounding the directions they can be launched?

Darkness + Freeze is pretty good though when I have both.

pwe

I think the new save method is working, I'll let you know on future attempts.

More random thoughts:
Dagger storm is so good compared to every other permanent upgrade just because of how it has synergy with a lot of permanent and temporary upgrades like knives per round, lower knife cooldown, knife damage, really anything that affects knifes also provides bonus dmg to Dagger storm.
Its awesome though and I don't think it trivializes the game in any way, at least at my skill level. Feels like the other skills need some more synergy and options to bring them up to this level.

I find myself not really wanting to pick up the duck lightsaber keep away because it doesn't really provide me any real advantage once I get Dagger storm and I am able to move where I want to and sometimes it even kind of works against me, the duck spawn explosion is already somewhat troublesome to deal with, but rightfully so, I think its a good thing.
Would love to have the duck lightsaber everything away when I pick him up though!

Darkness seems to not have a lot of upgrade options beyond just happening/moving faster, might I suggest:
- Enemies killed inside darkness have a higher chance to drop gold and/or xp.
- Increase in range

Diagonal walking feels way faster, because it probably is, but please don't ever change that. Its got that nice old school feel to it.
Its like this thing that you can kind of abuse but isn't really overpowered or anything.
Cool, thanks for input. I'm trying to do some more varied spawning atm, probably splitting it up in 5 min episodes with a boss at the end. Game design is fun, but the endless options makes it hard for a n00b.

You are right that the synergies for the dagger upgrades are too good. They all just stack up. As you said, adding more synergies for other options could the way to go.

Btw, I already nerfed Dagger Storm because I hate fun. The extra daggers do 20% damage now, but it can be upgraded further to throw a lot more daggers than 3. But maybe it is still too strong.

Another btw, the lightsaber (knightsaber) also reflect enemy projectiles, and there will be a lot more of those I think.

Last edited:

pwe

Made a literal shitload of changes. Balance, polish, variety.

And most important of all. A familiar level up ding.

Unity hosted

Last edited:

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Too easy now, was able to beat it on 2nd run with only 1 meta damage upgrade

pwe

Too easy now, was able to beat it on 2nd run with only 1 meta damage upgrade
That makes you a lot better than me, but you are right. I just tested from scratch and it was much easier than I expected. The required time to test really adds up when seemingly minor changes can have a big impact when starting over.

And thanks a lot for the feedback! It's what keeps me motivated to keep improving it.

Last edited:

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Probably should stop spawning penguins after the boss doesn't show up. Also, needs a leader-board :)

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 22-47-31 Super Knight.png

Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 00-25-22 Super Knight.png

pwe

Probably should stop spawning penguins after the boss doesn't show up. Also, needs a leader-board :)
Damn.. u rich... (did you find a cheat?) I screwed up balancing, posting a significantly harder version in a moment. Then I'll take my time with the next version to ensure better quality.

Edit: uploaded new version.

Last edited:

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Damn.. u rich... (did you find a cheat?) I screwed up balancing, posting a significantly harder version in a moment. Then I'll take my time with the next version to ensure better quality.

Edit: uploaded new version.
Around lvl 26 or so, it will give message game is over and mobs stop spawning but not the penguins, so you can farm them infinitely for gold.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Around lvl 26 or so, it will give message game is over and mobs stop spawning but not the penguins, so you can farm them infinitely for gold.

Bro, it's a pirate duck, don't disrespect the lore