Supreme Court says you own your devices

Skanda

I'm Amod too!

Supreme Court ruling on printer cartridges changes what it means to buy almost anything
Supreme Court overturns Lexmark’s patent win on used printer cartridges

TLDR; Yesterday they decided a case against Lexmark. Lexmark was trying the 'you only licence their product' line and the Court in a 7-1 decision said that you actually own that device. This is a pretty major decision for consoles and all sorts of tech devices. It could eventually trickle down to digital software as well though this case only dealt with hardware.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
what does that mean for farm machinery?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What is the catch?

The catch is they can still sue you under contract but not under patent law.

This really only affects 3rd party companies so like repair shops and companies that refurbish/refinish/sell upgraded components - the company can simply sue the individual for breaching contract. This has little implication in the world of say, consoles, if Xbox can detect intrusion without an agent - for instance they can say EULA is only Microsoft repairs and there's a chip that if you don't input a code it prevents all access to MS services forever. So they can both detect and enforce the contract component, but they can't sue the repair shop now under patent infringement.

I don't see this having a big impact in a lot of the major items people use, just due to the fact that the software component is still there. Printer cartridges are the perfect example because they are literally just 'Da Beers Printers' controlling the flow of spice.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
This case clears the way also to the import of items from another country and undercut the US prices.

For example if ms sells Xbox in India at a fraction of the price, you can buy those from there and import it to the USA.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Good thing EFI fuel systems weren't putting gas into a vehicle through a cartridge that could only be refilled by the respective corporation using Exxon or Mobil fuel.

• 1Like

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
This case clears the way also to the import of items from another country and undercut the US prices.

For example if ms sells Xbox in India at a fraction of the price, you can buy those from there and import it to the USA.
I admittedly read almost nothing about this, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with this case.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Not really because they can still region lock them. It just means the importing company can't be sued for it under patent infringement. That's the trick, it only really works for non electronic or non networked devices. I don't even know what would qualify? Like you can't even import most plug-in electronics from Europe because of the plugs.

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I admittedly read almost nothing about this, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with this case.

It did but only tangentially. There are two issues- 1) whether a contractual agreement domestically that is broken by a consumer causing the cartridge to be procured by the remanu company meant that patent law was not extinguished by the contractually forbidden but not illegal sale of the cartridge and thus creating infringement liability for the remanu company and 2) whether the theory of patent law (and thus extinguished rights) applied to imported cartridges that were sold overseas or of jurisdiction of those laws.

Basically it's a two part ruling, part one is fuck you, printer companies, and part two is fuck you, printer companies, you didn't effectively withhold patent rights to the imported cartridges properly under foreign laws so too bad. I just read it quickly so it's a little unclear but it seems that companies could change their distribution contracts to prevent importation of regional goods to the US and somehow then have a claim on their US patent in the future, but they didn't.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not really because they can still region lock them. It just means the importing company can't be sued for it under patent infringement. That's the trick, it only really works for non electronic or non networked devices. I don't even know what would qualify? Like you can't even import most plug-in electronics from Europe because of the plugs.
So what happens when YOU(the owner) puts a modchip in your new Xbox/PS, and you use THIER network, that detects your modchip and Bricks your machine.

Whom can sue whom?

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So what happens when YOU(the owner) puts a modchip in your new Xbox/PS, and you use THIER network, that detects your modchip and Bricks your machine.

Whom can sue whom?

Probably going to cause a shift to permanently blocking your device from the network, but not bricking it. However, as more games that have no reason to require online connectivity, you end up in the same place, in that you can't access the network. Hopefully that will lead to returned games and cause losses to the developers who mandate that shit.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Probably going to cause a shift to permanently blocking your device from the network, but not bricking it. However, as more games that have no reason to require online connectivity, you end up in the same place, in that you can't access the network. Hopefully that will lead to returned games and cause losses to the developers who mandate that shit.
what if you bought your Xbox second-hand, from one of these refurb shops, and they either
1. didn't know about the modchip or
2. put it in deliberately for obvious purposes

I mean wouldn't this be like putting a rice racer spoiler on a honda civic, and then honda dealer denys service cuz your honda civic makes honda look bad?

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
what does that mean for farm machinery?

Nothing. Unfortunately that's copyright law, this is patent law. It's retarded that software can even be copyrighted--it should be kept to patents, but that's where we are. The copyright office though has issued a ton of exceptions lately on farm equipment and cars, they, as far as I know.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
My job is at a patent analysis lawfirm. We track and analyse cases like this.

If anyone has any specific question, I can ask one of our patent lawyers. They love to talk about this stuff.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
My job is at a patent analysis lawfirm. We track and analyse cases like this.

If anyone has any specific question, I can ask one of our patent lawyers. They love to talk about this stuff.

Why don't you just focus on sweeping the floor and leave them alone

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
what if you bought your Xbox second-hand, from one of these refurb shops, and they either
1. didn't know about the modchip or
2. put it in deliberately for obvious purposes

I mean wouldn't this be like putting a rice racer spoiler on a honda civic, and then honda dealer denys service cuz your honda civic makes honda look bad?

No difference. Your property rights do not extend to Sony/MS' network. If your hardware isn't in compliance, then return it to seller or you have a case against them in small claims court. The only change likely to come out of this is no more bricking, because you would have a case against Sony/MS for damage to your equipment.

• 1Like