Swatting: Seriously, this is a thing??

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So apparently people call in terrorist threats on other gamers? And it's happened enough times that there's a term for it??

VICE did a thing on it.

Jesus nerds, settle down...

The Master

Bronze Squire
People do it to live streamers when they are streaming. Yeah, it is a thing...

How does one SWAT response cost 10k? Much less 10k+? That seems absurd.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I've seen a handful of these and it seems like the targets are in on it. They're all way too calm when the cops come barging in.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I've seen a handful of these and it seems like the targets are in on it. They're all way too calm when the cops come barging in.
Sounds like bullshit. You would have to be a special kind of stupid to be cool with a SWAT team hitting your house. That "calm" you find so abnormal is probably shock.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I can believe it, considering last week I saw where they called out the SWAT team for a guy walking on campus in CA I believe who had an umbrellas. The pics were unreal, 1/2 the team was using no trigger discipline at all. Suprised someone didn't get shot.

Zastlyn

Peasant
Just think about it. The guy who called that in said he killed 2 coworkers and would kill any cops that showed up. If that guy was playing Counter-Strike without headphones on and a little loud that shit would have gone from "unfunny fucktardary" to "Streamer killed on live stream"

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
How would you expect someone to react when a bunch of shouting cops rush in with weapons drawn? ? i would think most people get quiet and obedient pretty fast. not like in movies or cartoons where everyone starts shouting.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, at this point it's a known thing. So when it happens to some known player they're probably not going to be flipping out.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
What did they say Kootra did to get a swat team called in? Looked like was playing in an office or college dorm or something. Also, cops are fucking retards.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What did they say Kootra did to get a swat team called in? Looked like was playing in an office or college dorm or something. Also, cops are fucking retards.
IIRC from the reddit thread about this he is a fairly well known streamer and recently moved into an office complex to do his streaming. He was trying to keep the address secret but somehow (forget how) it got leaked and shortly after he got swatted. I don't know how you can call the cops retards. What would happen if someone wasn't crying wolf and someone actually was killing people in the office complex? If anyone is a retard it is the worthless mouth breathers who get off on doing this kind of shit.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
They likely include a lot of sunk costs in there.
Yeah, that reads as "we spent millions to build a mini army in our police department to "FIGHT THE TERRURISTS" and now they have nothing to do and it's expensive as shit."

Column_sl

shitlord
It's pretty much the Toxic version of ordering a shitload of pizzas, and sending it to someones address.

Which is how this started out on Twitch, and later got to this level.

I think the most famous one happened to Sodapoppin 2 years ago. Some people found his dorm room number, and sent a shitload of cops to his complex.
Which forced the college to move him into a private room by himself.

After that it got steadily worse, and worse. They just did this recently to him again at his house in California.

It's pretty dangerous for these streamers cause they are all young kids, and cops are just dicks. I'm sure more then one of them has been roughed up abit.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just a general statement
No it wasn't. It was purposeful statement directly related to your belief that cops are to blame. Its not like you added a random, unrelated general statement.

EDIT 1: Also, the 10k cost would come in when your talking about things like insurance for the weapons, vehicles, officers, etc. Fuel for vehicles, which isn't much but it bulls up especially for any helicopters that may be called as well. Also the salary for everyone involved. Some of them may already be on the job but anyone who is on called would have to be paid. Some of it is clearly advertised to justify its own existence, but honestly, 10k is lowballing it

EDIT2: cops get a bad rap from the retard minority of cops. That being said, if I were a cop I'd be pretty pissed if some moron called the swat team on someone as a joke.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Why are you trying to justify why it would cost "$10,000 or more"? You weirdos without health insurance have to spend an arm and a leg on medical, you're surprised by 10k on a specialized police force which looks like it can be 20+ people? lol

Either way, fuck those kids doing that kind of stuff. I hope their parents get laid with a fine on top of any bill they eventually get caught by~

sebur

Bronze Squire
The idiots that are doing this need to go to jail, fuck fines. The next logical step to me for the police to combat this is like they mentioned in the video. A lot of these police departments have this mini swat army but not a cyber crime division. They need to start investing in a cyber crime division so they can potentially differentiate these attacks. I bet you there is a pattern in the fake ones that can be spotted if you have someone adept enough working on it.