Swatting: Seriously, this is a thing??

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The idiots that are doing this need to go to jail, fuck fines. The next logical step to me for the police to combat this is like they mentioned in the video. A lot of these police departments have this mini swat army but not a cyber crime division. They need to start investing in a cyber crime division so they can potentially differentiate these attacks. I bet you there is a pattern in the fake ones that can be spotted if you have someone adept enough working on it.
We need Chris Hanson to hire Perverted Justice to pose as high profile streamers and catch the swatters in the act

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At the end of the Vice video:
In May 2014, a 16 year old Canadian was arrested for over 30 SWATTing attacks across North America.

He may not deserve the death penalty, but the authorities should be able to chop his balls off, turn him into Helen Keller, and put him in a box for the rest of his life.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
What a fucking moron. Lets hope he gets jailed and nailed by plenty of hung black men without lube.

Murked

It's good to know a quiet county in NJ gets 400k vehicles and state of the art equipment for grant money, but we can't tell a call is being spoofed to 911 operators. Money well spent.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
At the end of the Vice video:
In May 2014, a 16 year old Canadian was arrested for over 30 SWATTing attacks across North America.

He may not deserve the death penalty, but the authorities should be able to chop his balls off, turn him into Helen Keller, and put him in a box for the rest of his life.
he got 25 to life. Apparently he was crying for mommy during the trial and shit. hilarious.

khalid

Unelected Mod
he got 25 to life. Apparently he was crying for mommy during the trial and shit. hilarious.
Yep, what a fucking idiot.
15 Year Old Who 25 Years To Life In Federal Prison - National Report | National Report

Horner, described as affecting a brash, ?hardcore? persona while online was anything but throughout the trial. At multiple times Horner broke down into fits of sobbing hysteria and calls to his mother, to the point that the presiding Judge, Arthur Digsby, was forced to have him removed. Hearing the sentence of 25 years to life, Horner began sobbing. Judge Digsby told Horner that though he felt bad for the youth, he was ultimately responsible for his own actions. - See more at:15 Year Old Who 25 Years To Life In Federal Prison - National Report | National Report

Del

Vyemm Raider
Speaking of idiots.
rrr_img_75492.gif

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's good to know a quiet county in NJ gets 400k vehicles and state of the art equipment for grant money, but we can't tell a call is being spoofed to 911 operators. Money well spent.
I'm sure after a certain point they all had their suspicions... But that's not a call you don't respond to. If your suspicions are wrong just once that is the kind of tragedy that people just don't get over

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I do see the police somewhat at fault here for responding with a small army to a 911 call for something as trivial as a domestic homicide. Not the officers that execute the raid, but those in charge that decide sending an army instead of two squad cars is the appropriate standard response.

What's the use of non-SWAT police officers at that point? Speeding tickets? I bet you could outsource that to a for profit company.
Was there a long history of police officers arriving at a scene of a crime and getting murdered because they didn't have a tank backing them up with a high powered machine gun from the street?

I can fully understand Kootra's reaction here. Getting raided at your own home is probably the worst thing to happen to you as an innocent man, but getting swat raided at your office? Haha, I probably couldn't contain myself. I'd just laugh at how absurd it is.

sebur

Bronze Squire
I'm sure after a certain point they all had their suspicions... But that's not a call you don't respond to. If your suspicions are wrong just once that is the kind of tragedy that people just don't get over
I don't think he has a problem with the response , more so the fact that you haven't invested money in to some form of a cyber crime division to try and differentiate these calls. Then again I am sure if the gov was giving away grants for cyber crime stuff they would have tons of equipment/man power in that area. Sucks.

Going to have to agree with Quinloe here as well, once I would figure out what is going on I would probably laugh my ass off and the cops would be super pissed wondering what is funny.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I do see the police somewhat at fault here for responding with a small army to a 911 call for something as trivial as a domestic homicide. Not the officers that execute the raid, but those in charge that decide sending an army instead of two squad cars is the appropriate standard response.

What's the use of non-SWAT police officers at that point? Speeding tickets? I bet you could outsource that to a for profit company.
Was there a long history of police officers arriving at a scene of a crime and getting murdered because they didn't have a tank backing them up with a high powered machine gun from the street?

I can fully understand Kootra's reaction here. Getting raided at your own home is probably the worst thing to happen to you as an innocent man, but getting swat raided at your office? Haha, I probably couldn't contain myself. I'd just laugh at how absurd it is.
Cops are huge pussies in real life. Also, they got grants from the feds to help them dress up like soldiers and they need an excuse to play with all that stuff.

sebur

Bronze Squire
Broad, sweeping generalities are best generalities
Or perception is perception, I dislike most cops due to a couple of bad experiences that I had when I was younger, all instigated by the cops because I was young driving a nice car. Also throw in a couple of cops that I know and they certainly don't make things any better. So in my mind, most cops abuse their power.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
one of our major papers published a very controversial article yesterday about new police training emphasizing about always having the gun out.
Traffic stop -> gun out.
Question a witness on the street -> gun out.
Order Bagels at the store -> gun out.

Really looking forward to this shit becoming the norm. If the cop has his gun out, my hands are in the air. Let's see how long it takes for him to see license and registration that way.

Tenks

In my limited run ins with police they've always been courteous and respectful. Possibly because I was also being respectful and courteous to them.

Column_sl

shitlord
Unfortunately, that doesn't cross over when a bomb threat is called in. Especially since allot of these streamers are kids.
Cops can be dicks, so I'm sure it isn't the greatest experience for these victims.

I don't see this ending anytime soon. These streamers have cult like fan bases. So you are allready dealing with unstable people that don't even care what the penalties are for hurting the person that no longer gives them the attention they want.

I wouldn't be surprised in the next few years of a reported murder taking place.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
In my limited run ins with police they've always been courteous and respectful. Possibly because I was also being respectful and courteous to them.
What a concept.

There was one time in my life where didnt treat me the way the way I would have liked. And it was because they couldn't take my story at face value. We were filming a movie. We called dispatch to let them know about what time frame we were working with. We ran late and a passerby called the cops on us. Dispatch had changed shifts mostly so they didn't let the patrolman know what was going on. We kept telling them to call dispatch but the officers weren't taking orders from us. After an hour they were able to confirm or stories and let us go with an apology and a laugh.
We could have flipped out and demanded this and that but we were respectful and were in turn treated with respect.

There's a ton of eff the po-lice attitudes out there that are underserved and just instigate more problems. Not ALL problems... Just more. Every incident for a cop could be his or her death. They pull someone over for speeding and they don't know if they are armed, high, agitated, or just not paying attention. You walk into a situation where you might get shot just for being a cop and see how long you stay respectful and mild mannered when the person you pull over is screaming and cussing you out