SWTOR

moontayle

Golden Squire
Best way? If you just want to see the story to them, then story mode. Most of them have it. Otherwise tactical. Her's a nice flowchart I found that lists things out in the order they are supposed to come.

rrr_img_115022.jpg

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
Did a 4 DPS tactical in False Emperor. It was far more challenging than any HM. Trash was rape.

Hell, the reason I've never been interested in tanking in TOR is how goddamn annoying it must be to hold threat on shit that is spread out all over the fuck and using ranged attacks. You know quickly when your tank sucks at it.

But I haven't actually done any group content as melee. Just blown through 12x story shit.
Honestly, one of the things I enjoy in this game is that the tanking is not super easy like it has become in wow (Threat still matters). I did a lot of random flashpoints while leveling my Juggernaut and ended up in a lot of new ones since the last time I played. One of them was a beast boss (exchange flashpoint) which someone in my group said "tank has never done this, we can't do it!" and the magnificent tactic was just to pull the boss to a lit up box every 30 seconds or so...

I've yet to do any hard modes though, but plan on doing that as soon as I finish the story chapters

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Heh yeah, the mechanics shouldn't exactly mystify anyone who has ever MMO'd before.

... but hoooooly shit are there a lot of people who don't get it anyway. They must just think that being a corpse on the ground at the end of every fight is a normal thing.

There's a 5000+ post thread on the swtor forum documenting group failures. And often the person posting reveals themselves to be just as clueless as whoever they are ranting about.

But at least there's no mode as goddamn brain dead as LFR or as fucking absurd as Mythic.

EDIT: I can only imagine the frustration if you could actually see the damage/healing of others...

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Every Flashpoint I go into I hope someone drops if it is not going fast enough for me. If someone drops I tell the group not to requeue and to follow me. I Just summon a rank 20+ companion set to heal and mow through the flashpoint dps-tanking. Every group I have done that with started off telling me we would fail. At the end with no ones life dipping below 90% and everything dropping like flies they see the light. Have not failed anything once someone dropped from group. Before hand its always trash that kills folks. I can stay alive with the 3 heal pods on every boss I have fought even if the the group all dies on it.

Outside of needing to queue for randoms to get the daily/weekly rewards I now prefer to 2 man 2 companion flashpoints. Faster and no annoyance IMO. Only wish comps could be summoned in Ops.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Heh yeah, the mechanics shouldn't exactly mystify anyone who has ever MMO'd before.

... but hoooooly shit are there a lot of people who don't get it anyway. They must just think that being a corpse on the ground at the end of every fight is a normal thing.

There's a 5000+ post thread on the swtor forum documenting group failures. And often the person posting reveals themselves to be just as clueless as whoever they are ranting about.

But at least there's no mode as goddamn brain dead as LFR or as fucking absurd as Mythic.

EDIT: I can only imagine the frustration if you could actually see the damage/healing of others...
I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread. But this is the greatest game ever made for old farts who used to be MMO raiders in the day when Time > *

I shit you not, I've done 16 mans where I've bathed and put my kid in pajamas during the raid or helped the other with homework and still topped parses and the only thing I missed were the PM's from random people asking what my spec was or how to play the fucking game. I really do enjoy this game for what little time I can dedicate to online gaming but I expect very little from teammates.

Best way? If you just want to see the story to them, then story mode. Most of them have it. Otherwise tactical. Her's a nice flowchart I found that lists things out in the order they are supposed to come.

rrr_img_115022.jpg
That's fantastic. Hadn't seen that before. It should really help folks getting back into this for the first time since release.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I am using one PVP armoring to meet my 6-piece set bonus but other than that I'm in all 216/220s already. At this point I don't see a point in min/maxing unless I get in a priority op and luck graces me with some 224 set gear.

This week's is Revan. Yeah, that ain't happening.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm

rrr_img_115022.jpg
Very nice.

So I'm on a dead server but after doing some research, it seems Bioware has gone to a policy of no story ending in raids after the dread masters. Oricon just *ends* if you don't do those last two raids. After youtubing the fights and cutscenes, they actually seemed to be a bit of a letdown given how big they were as a story moment leveling up.

I'm halfway through revan now. I imagine I'll be done with Kotfe by the end of the week. I'm heading back to gw2 then but I'm thinking I'll be back here in a month or two just to do more class stories.

Bioware should really consider just selling the storymodes as a single player game. I'd re-buy it probably.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I gaurentee that's in the works. They're not dumb and A LOT of people want to do the 60- game solo or duo.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Another question regarding Juggernaut. How is tanking at max level and how are they for DPS? I'm not entirely sure i wanna tank at max level, kinda want to try dps. Thinking about picking up dps quest rewards from now on.

Jait

Molten Core Raider

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm

I had a sith sorcerer in one of my groups that did nothing but that aoe on the ground force storm ability, even on single target bosses. We figured it was a kid or someone unable to speak English because no matter what we said, radio silence. Later on in the instance he randomly says "I'm not a kid, I just think it looks cool". So cool to do 1/10th the damage of the tank because you're retarded

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I had a sith sorcerer in one of my groups that did nothing but that aoe on the ground force storm ability, even on single target bosses. We figured it was a kid or someone unable to speak English because no matter what we said, radio silence. Later on in the instance he randomly says "I'm not a kid, I just think it looks cool". So cool to do 1/10th the damage of the tank because you're retarded
This is the average player i've run into using the group finder for FP's. Before and after 4.0. Unfortunately, 4.0 tactical set up is not friendly when there's 4 dps and 2 or 3 of them are this guy you mentioned.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I was pretty underwhelmed with my own DPS (arsenal merc) after failing to get past the first boss of Blood Hunt and doing some parsing, which has returned to its former overtuned glory of "don't bother without raid gear - so why the fuck are you even here?" I guess things like a 208 mh, not augmenting 208/216 implants/relics (that's throwing away money, dammit!) and no set bonus add up but, I'm barely ever spiking to 5k on the dummy, much less sustaining it. No stim/adrenal use either but still, I could reach 4k at 60 and people are topping 7k now - and set bonuses and gear tiers seem really mild upgrades to make up that much difference.

Aside from going cheap on blue/missing augments the other possible mistake I can think of is using a .25 sec ability queue. That's giving the game engine too much credit, I think. I remember that being an issue an eternity ago, but I don't remember why I shortened it.

This is what I think about over coffee while slowly warming up to work.

Malakriss

208 to 216 and missing some augs is a noticeable jump. But going from 216 to 220 isn't much of one so that's why people want to skip 220 entirely and simply focus on doing priority ops for the 224. Same skill requirement without touching any nightmare modes.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
That's interesting. I'm just actually starting 4.0 and completely underwhelmed by the changes. Seems like a few steps backwards for the normal players aka filthy casuals.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Well, I just soloed 4 straight tacticals 4 man's. My companion was rank 17/18 healer speced and I was DPS Jug. Bosses having 1.5+million hps took time but nothing was hard. Did both Czerkas Directive 7 and Hammer Station.

Only fight that even remotely was hard was the middle boss in Czerka Labs. After 50% he starts dropping big aoe bombs and if you comp gets hit by them they heal themselves first. So use a opertive/smuggler or commando/BH based healing comp so they stand still where the fight starts and never gets hits.

So now know that my least geared 65 can solo these tacticals I will only queue for daily reward and do the rest solo.

I can only imagine how easy these must be for the ones you can add the god bot to the mix doing solo mode.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I'll go back to a previous comment and say that I would hope anyone on this forum would be capable of pulling that off.

FYI, it appears the new Star Fortress companions have either no or very little combat chatter. I switched to one after I felt like strangling Treek (on that toon she was my highest level comp) and the silence was glorious. I quickly burned a bunch of basic crystals to pump up her level through gifts.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I'm at Chapter 7 I think, or 8. I just got done force humping one-eyed angsty guy. I popped out (before I bought gear) to do an old flashpoint and it was not possible solo, though I didn't bother checking how level synch worked, I just ran in there to refamiliarize myself with my characters controls. Really enjoying the story, especially the ability to kill off other characters companions. I had 30m credits on my Sorc, so I went ahead and bought some 208 gear fairly cheap (armor/mod/enhance), and a 220 hilt. Haven't had any problems, just hear general whining in chat as always.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Apparently it's a bad idea to have 1500 crit and 100 alacrity. That was just the hand I was dealt, heh.

I think they made one big mistake with the new companions having no customization. There goes a huge credit/coin sink. I'm already bored of Lana the Grey.

Malakriss

That's the features we get in 4.3, coming in 5.0 you can now break down the faction barrier and do the other side's heroic 2s!