SWTOR

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Secret World is easily my favorite MMO just for the sheer uniqueness of the game. Such a cool setting and I loved the skill wheel, and being able to mix and match everything. Tornquist was really a pretty revolutionary game developer, and it's a shame he bailed on it. If I remember it was a pretty big passion project of his.
I felt like I was too dumb to play Secret World, as much as I liked it. When it was fresh, lets just say I wasnt in the state of mind at the time to handle games that made me think. But I fucking loved the combat and skill tree back then. Heard they changed that and.. I cant for the life of me understand why they would have changed that.

If that game had offered a "Fine you fucking idiot, here is the answer" button to a lot of the quests, and gave the player some actual fucking choices in the look of their armor that wasnt fucking modern day clothing, it would have been great. Something along the lines of gear that "normies" cant see or something (so when you're in New York, etc. you didnt look out of place? idk.)

Man, I loved The Secret World so much. I forget how much I enjoyed playing that game. I'm almost done with Sentinel, when I am done I need to back and finish up a few of the other origin stories, particularly Sith Inquisitor. I now wish I hadn't gone full Dark Side Sith Warrior. Not that the stories bad, I just don't enjoy playing the Dark Side so much; the choices in some cases are nuanced but in most cases are mustache twirlers. I always thought that when you are making choices in these stories, the Dark Side choices should read as if they make sense and are justified from the Dark Side perspective; instead they are written to provide clarity for the player.
I always felt like I missed out during quests as I just picked what I thought "I" would pick. So I'd end up in some vague middle ground type of area and, iirc, wouldnt be able to choose certain options cause I wasnt an ultra douche or an angelic faggot.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
FunCom is the only MMO company I'll buy whatever they make, even knowing going into it that it'll be a bug addled overcomplicated mess, because I end up loving it despite that.

The SWTOR stories are nice, did the dark side ones, then was going to do Light Side but the 25x exp buff went away. The Sith Warrior companion developing a shock collar fetish after a while was pretty lulz

• 3Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 3 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
FunCom is the only MMO company I'll buy whatever they make, even knowing going into it that it'll be a bug addled overcomplicated mess, because I end up loving it despite that.

The SWTOR stories are nice, did the dark side ones, then was going to do Light Side but the 25x exp buff went away. The Sith Warrior companion developing a shock collar fetish after a while was pretty lulz
XP is still plenty insane if you have a sub. I have been playing an IA again to relearn the class, and I am already 36 just from doing the MSQ and quests on 3 planets. I am just about to switch back to my OG since he had all the shit done up to the end of vanilla.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
XP is still plenty insane if you have a sub. I have been playing an IA again to relearn the class, and I am already 36 just from doing the MSQ and quests on 3 planets. I am just about to switch back to my OG since he had all the shit done up to the end of vanilla.

Getting the itch to play this again. Been a long time.

First toon was a fat trooper. Story was good. Not one of the better ones but it had it's moments. I screwed up and let the girl die though..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

At some point I want to go back and play the missed content, but they've changed so much I would have to read guides. Been playing some Star Trek Online since S3 Picard got me interested in some Trek stuff. Game is pretty janky, but the space combat is cool and the Dominion/DS9 themed episode was nice - they got almost the entire cast back (including side characters like Garak, Martok, Rom, Leeta, Nog, Weyoun/Brunt, the female founder) to voice roles. Only missing ones were Sisko/Jake (unless you count some reused lines from the show) and O'Brian and Ezri. Story had some uneven sections and a couple actors sounded like they were phoning it in (like Kira), but the overall storyline was pretty cool since it dove into some Dominion backstory and Garak gets to be Garak.

Then right after I finished the DS9 themed storyline, it goes into Discovery and my interest plummeted lol

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
This game more than most accepts its criticisms and just owns it. It's always been called a single player MMO and so they've streamlined pretty much exclusively towards that.

For example you don't have to worry about exp bonuses like you did back in the day, all you need to do is your class quest and the MSQ on each planet to level, they buffed the exp reward from those 2 types of quests and even somewhat hid all the side quests. I mean they are still there you can still do them but you have to turn them on to see the quest markers. The leveling experience is exclusively fully voiced / in game cutscene questing. Fast travel (hearthstone) is on like a 1 min cooldown you go in, bounce around the planet like a boss and get shit done then move on to your next planet.

Also they've completely separated gameplay class mechanics from classes.

Now when you choose your class, you are only choosing the story you want to play. You choose the combat loop/core gameplay separately. Classes are now either Force user or non-force-user and you get to pick how the class plays now.

Ie you can pick Jedi Knight and play as any force user style (though you have to go dark side to pick imperial force user shit, and vice versa) so like you can go darkside and choose sith sorcerer force lightning and shit. Or you can pick Imperial Agent and choose to have combat style of a bounty hunter or trooper.

This benefit is pretty much exclusively so you can play through a class story that you like without having to play with combat mechanics you don't enjoy. Like Imperial Agent is a good story but rogues in this game are trash, their implementation of stealth and or cover has always been shit. now you can run around and fight like a power tech which is great.

• 1Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
You're also given XP buff consumables periodically as quest rewards while doing the MSQ. You should never be falling behind. When I finished 1-50 with Jedi Knight I still had several XP buff tokens.

Malakriss

This game is being put into maintenance mode, "development" handed over to Broadsword and EA is peacing out. That's the company that keeps the lights on for Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot.

• 1Fal'len
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Well that’s too bad. They tried freshening things up but I guess it wasn’t enough.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This game is being put into maintenance mode, "development" handed over to Broadsword and EA is peacing out. That's the company that keeps the lights on for Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot.
Meh. On the plus side I can treat it as a 15/mo occaisional dip into a BioWare story.

Cybsled

Ya, the move to Broadsword probably means that's more or less it for the game in terms of new content, save for perhaps the occasional cash shop item and small scale updates

At least they aren't shuttering it. Companies like NCSoft would have shut down the servers with like a 1 month advance notice lol

• 1Like

Caeden

Ya, the move to Broadsword probably means that's more or less it for the game in terms of new content, save for perhaps the occasional cash shop item and small scale updates

At least they aren't shuttering it. Companies like NCSoft would have shut down the servers with like a 1 month advance notice lol
My guess is it still must make a decent chunk. Next year I’ll plow the rest of the stories and the fallen empire.

Sad. This was probably my most anticipated game of all time. And is up there for best Star Wars games of all time.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
There's a small chance Broadsword might actually care about the game, their head guy worked on SWTOR back before release.

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I'm surprised there is no effort to convert this to a single player game. Theres enough content to sell a trilogy ie TOR 1, 2 and 3 without much if any additional work.

They've already built all the tools and systems to do groups and raids solo mode, with npcs etc. They would just need to go back and add some solo modes to the early raids so that the full story could be enjoyed.

No reason this couldnt be pc/ps/xbox game sold for 70 bucks a pop x 3 or even 4 games. Theres more content than mass effect series for example.

• 1WTF
  • 1Solidarity

Cybsled

They could do what FF14 is doing and modifying old MSQ dungeons so they can be run with NPCs. Although that would take some amount of work depending on the dungeon

Caeden

It’s really dumb it hasn’t been stripped down to a solo game. Last time I played fleet was mostly empty anyway.

Burns

It’s really dumb it hasn’t been stripped down to a solo game. Last time I played fleet was mostly empty anyway.
Old MMO games have a reputation of having spaghetti code. So it may be a monumental undertaking to modify it to a low bug, satisfactory point, where anyone would think it profitable enough to do.

• 2Like

Otto

I always wondered how things would've been if they put more money into a decent engine or developed their own? Loved the game but it always felt so clunky to play in my opinion. Lack of vertical movement always bothered me as well. I have a jet pack but I have to wait for this elevator platform.

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
They could do what FF14 is doing and modifying old MSQ dungeons so they can be run with NPCs. Although that would take some amount of work depending on the dungeon
they've added this a while ago mostly. pretty much all 1 group "dungeon" content has solo modes. either with NPCs in your party, story mode versions where its soloable (you + companion) or a super powerful droid that basically solo's it for you while healing you. which version of that soloability depends on the era and expansion it was released in.

The only thing that doesn't have this yet to my knowledge, though i could be mistaken, is the original raids from the vanilla version of the game, maybe even hutt raids. from Revan on i'm pretty sure there are story versions of raids that you solo.