Tablets

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Does anyone know any threads/forums that give information about jailbreaking the latest Ipad and list possible apps for it?
First of all, always check:http://jailbrea.kr

Short answer: If you're at 6.1.3 or above, you're hosed. Wait for iOS 7 GM and there will likely be a jailbreak released as the teams don't want to burn their exploits on 6.1.3/6.1.4.

I can list quite a few jailbreak apps that are helpful to me, but it might be better if you say what you're interested in. There's a huge ecosystem of jailbreak apps out there.

Stave

Potato del Grande
So I want to pick up a Windows 8 (Not RT) Tablet. But I don't want to spend an assload on one. I'm sure they are going to come down in price in time, but right now the only one I can really find in the $300 range is the Acer Iconia W3. Everything else seems to be $700+. I'd mainly like one to play some legacy games and stuff. I know a tablet in that range is not gonna run Skyrim and WoW and such, but it would be cool to bust out some older/less graphical x86 games like HL2, CS Source, Diablo 2, (Maybe D3?), Rune, Beyond Good and Evil, Emulators, and just cool older games etc.

From a video I saw on youtube, the Acer Iconia W3 can play Torchlight 1 mostly lag free, but stutters on D3, so it's close to what I want in power, but not quite there. I want to find one with a little bit more power in that price range. Are there any alternatives, or any upcoming Win8 tablets to watch for for the holiday season?

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Has anyone tried any real gaming on a win8 tablet? Anything that could run something like FF14? Or Wildstar?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I researched W8 tablets for my company and in that price range everything will be an Atom processor. To jump up to an i3 or i5 you're talking way more money.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Has anyone tried any real gaming on a win8 tablet? Anything that could run something like FF14? Or Wildstar?
Definitely. They range from $700-$1200ish. The Razer Edge is the top of the line but are pricey, like 1200 bucks or so, but they are the ultimate shitter device! Just think of all the numb asses. At this price range though, it might just be better off spending that money for a beastly laptop, but tablets are just cooler. I can't wait for 5 years from now when this technology is dirt cheap, and 10 years when this shit will be in my phone. Gonna be good times. These things can play BF3 on high, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, WoW, etc. I'm sure FF14 and Wildstar would max out easily on these.

Just being able to play WoW on low/med settings at 30fps on a midrange one of these is doable, and I don't even play WoW anymore but probably would again if I could play like this. But I just can't justify $700 range for a tablet. That is why I am hoping we will get some more beefy $300 range Win8 tablets to compete with the W3, because honestly unless these things come down to comparable prices to Nexus 7's and whatnot, your average consumer isn't going to even look at these as an alternative. Win Tablets markets are dieing, and I would hate to see this technology die.

Like I said though, I haven't been keeping up on this market, so I don't know what the future plans are. Any lower price strong contenders coming out this year? Google search doesn't tell me much and I don't follow the tech blogs.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I've played Civ 5 on my W700, obviously not as smooth as playing on my PC but it runs well enough and has nice that it has touch controls. It's one of the i5 models though, probably $850 or so now.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I'm pretty sure the touch screen just emulates a mouse. So games like D3, etc you could tap the ground to move/fight. Then there is that Overwolf software that pretty much turns your tablet into a full keyboard + mouse/joystick. I'm sure there are other programs that you could configure up some touch keys for macros for things like potions, etc.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
And how would right clicks be handled? Not to mention all the other buttons and abilities a mouse can handle. Even just mouse over would be a pain.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Games like Torchlight and Diablo break down when you need right click, need to press small action ability buttons that you usually hit a number key for, quickly swapping equipment, etc. Torchlight didn't work nearly as well as I hoped. Civ V literally gives you the option to start in Windows 8 touchscreen mode (a 3rd option after DX 9, DX 10/11).

Stave

Potato del Grande
Games like Torchlight and Diablo break down when you need right click, need to press small action ability buttons that you usually hit a number key for, quickly swapping equipment, etc. Torchlight didn't work nearly as well as I hoped. Civ V literally gives you the option to start in Windows 8 touchscreen mode (a 3rd option after DX 9, DX 10/11).
Good to know. I guess I am just used to playing tablet games that are optimized for touchscreen controls. At that point you probably just need to attach a mouse, and if you end up needing a BT keyboard too, may as well get a laptop. Doesn't mean I don't want one still lol.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
So I have decided to go with the 10" android tablet over the 7" one. With that said, I know that the new Nexus 7 just came out with the better screen, so is there any plan to do the same with the 10 inch tablet soon or before xmas?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Question about the Nexus 7, if anyone happens to know. I see that it has WiFi, but would it be possible to use a wired connection with it? Is there some USB connector that I could use to plug the 7 into my non-wireless router? (yes, I guess I am in the stone-age by not having a wireless router).