Tablets

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Question about the Nexus 7, if anyone happens to know. I see that it has WiFi, but would it be possible to use a wired connection with it? Is there some USB connector that I could use to plug the 7 into my non-wireless router? (yes, I guess I am in the stone-age by not having a wireless router).
Why are you buying a Nexus 7 instead of a wireless router?

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
So I have decided on the 10" Samsung. When I get it, is it possible to have it pull files, like TV shows, off of my networked computer via an app or browser or do you need one of those Windows OS tablets to do it?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
So I have decided on the 10" Samsung. When I get it, is it possible to have it pull files, like TV shows, off of my networked computer via an app or browser or do you need one of those Windows OS tablets to do it?
ES File Explorer app

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I use ES File explorer as well on my Samsung Note 10, works great for streaming media from my PC across my network

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My only small gripe about ES is that when I choose to explore my LAN for shared devices/folders, ES seems to lose the list of my shared devices almost daily, and I have to make it re-scan to find them, which takes maybe 30-60 seconds. Not a big deal, but odd.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Anyone pick up a nexus 7 2 yet? Thinking of getting one but wanted to get some opinions first.
Got mine today. Another apology to Draegan for ginned up, pointless PM's.

Anyway.

My unit arrived, took it out of the box. Peeled off 9000 clear wraps from the device and all of its accessories.

Typed in the SSID and passcode for my wi-fi. Unit crashed. Rebooted, did the same, unit crashed. Rebooted, did the same, unit crashed. Rebooted...finally, connected to my wi-fi whereupon it ...crashed. Did it once more and no crash. It then downloaded an update (much maligned) that...caused lots of stuff to crash. Camera app? Instant hard crash. Google Maps? Instant reboot.

The camera crash required a hard reboot which consisted of holding down all the external buttons for 30 seconds.

The OOBE...Out Of Box Experience was pure shit.

Anyway, the device is pretty slick. Easy to hold, and light. Android, when it is working, feels light years ahead of IOS 7 in most (all) areas. The screen is nice, but not at all accurate in terms of color reproduction. My Ipads (2-4) have really good color reproduction whereas the Nexus 7 v2 casts a greenish hue over everything and look like shit, to be honest.

Beyond all that, the $229 Nexus 7v2 is a solid product. It has gobs of RAM and a fast CPU. At $229, it's a shockingly good value. Android, despite all it warts, is a killer mobile OS. Reading books on this kicks ass, as does watching movies.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Damn, this thing is fast...really fast. The OS is responsive to the point of no lag, and gallery view is just amazingly fast.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I ended up getting one and it's pretty great. Mine has never crashed, and the only issue I've noticed is if I'm not holding the tablet it has some multi touch issues, but supposedly they are working on an update to fix that. The thing is super fast and I don't notice any green color hues.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Have any of you owners of the new Nexus 7 experiencing periodic lockups on it? I've seen a few reports of it and I know that JSS (the android build the N7 uses) based roms for other devices suffer from periodic 5-10 second long locks. It's been so bad that the rom I use on my N4 switched to a JWR base and just kept bugfixes from JSS.

My mom has expressed interest in getting a tablet so I was thinking of getting her a N7 for her birthday. I just don't want to get her one and then have her deal with those kind of issues.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Have any of you owners of the new Nexus 7 experiencing periodic lockups on it?
Lots of reboots, half a dozen hard resets. The last OS update is causing major headaches for virtually everyone.

It's a shockingly bad effort for all involved. I had 4-5 crashes before I even got to use the fucking thing.

My iPads: 0 crashes in almost 3 years.

Ritley: Put it up against a color calibrated desktop IPS display. The Nexus 7v2 has a high PPI screen, but the colors are muted and washed out, not to mention the greenish hue that almost negates the resolution.

In the end, it's a $230 device that delivers on virtually every front. It has its warts to be sure, but I suspect those will be ironed out with updates to the OS.

Lusiphur

Peasant
So, my v1 Asus Transformer is starting to show its age. All I really use a tablet for is reading comics, seriously.
Need feedback on whether to go with a Nexus 7 or spend more for the 10. Note, I am only interested in the comic reading experience and general browsing, my TV is for video. Is the performance step up to the 10 really much better? Given the 10 is nearly twice the price.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I find a 10" tablet is uncomfortable for E-reading, unless you are laying the tablet on your lap, or propping it up on something. If you are typically holding the tablet while you read, go 7", not 10". I have both a Samsung Galaxy Note 10" and a Nexus 7(original), and I do all of my e-reading on the Nexus.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sure it's been asked over and over again, but do you guys prefer 7" or 10" for browsing the web?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I use my 10" tablet for most of my web browsing. I'm not sure why, but when I'm web browsing I don't feel like I need the thing as close to my face as I do when I'm reading an ebook, so I don't feel the need to hold it up close, I'm perfectly fine sitting the tablet on my lap, or on a table. Invest in a cheap case that folds into a stand. I got one for like $20 off of Amazon that works great, you don't need anything fancy. Just something like this(but for your specific tablet:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, my v1 Asus Transformer is starting to show its age. All I really use a tablet for is reading comics, seriously.
Need feedback on whether to go with a Nexus 7 or spend more for the 10. Note, I am only interested in the comic reading experience and general browsing, my TV is for video. Is the performance step up to the 10 really much better? Given the 10 is nearly twice the price.
You want 10" for comics. Standard comics are 6.625 inches (16.83 cm) ? 10.25 inches (26.0 cm), on a 7 inch you have to turn it sideways and scroll down to have it really be the right size. 10inch is basically perfect size. And Nexus10 has the stupid good screen. It's your best option and as long as it's primarily a comic reader there's really no reason to ever upgrade it.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
I bought 4 Nexus 7 for about $80 a piece (3 16's and a 32) after factoring in all the accessories I got with them. And damn that is a great value for an amazing tablet. I've seen the Nexus 7 2, and while it's great, I can't see it being worth 3 times the cost. I'm happy being a cycle behind in this case.