Tablets

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Anyone have any experience with the Galaxy Tab 8? I have an ipad mini, but an 8 inch screen seems perfect for me.

ringer_sl

shitlord
Ok, so I've narrowed it down to two choices:

1. Asus Transformer Prime TF201 32G Tablet with dock; or

2. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Silver 16GB 10.1"

I'm reasonably familiar with the Samsung (currently have the galaxy tab 2 7.0) so have a fair idea of what to expect, however the idea of a keyboard dock with its own battery charge also appeals. does anyone have any experience with the Asus transformer? If so, suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Any reason not to go with a Samsung galaxy tablet if looking for just in flight entertainment? Have a trip this weekend and want to be able to load up some shows and watch with the wife while flying.

Or go with a cheaper nexus v1?

Thanks.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
So I am getting a new iPad2 from a promotion with Dish network. I would use it but if I am going to have an iPad I would rather have the iPad3.

Is there anyway to go through Apple and get the iPad 3 by trading it in and paying the difference or will I have to sell it for cash first?

I am pretty sure I will have to go the second route, but it would be nice to hand them a new ipad never before opened and pay the difference for the Retina screen and better proc.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So I am getting a new iPad2 from a promotion with Dish network. I would use it but if I am going to have an iPad I would rather have the iPad3.

Is there anyway to go through Apple and get the iPad 3 by trading it in and paying the difference or will I have to sell it for cash first?

I am pretty sure I will have to go the second route, but it would be nice to hand them a new ipad never before opened and pay the difference for the Retina screen and better proc.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/reuse_and_recycle

Don't see anyway they will give you full market price. You could also try buying an Ipad 3 and returning the Ipad 2 in the Ipad 3 packaging for a full refund. The idiots wont know the difference. I promise I wont snitch.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Or you could just go to best buy and rob them at gun point.

Gazelle.com will give you $170 for a mint condition iPad 2 with 16 GB and Wifi only. Obviously less than you would get on Craigslist/Ebay but less hassle. They will even mail you a post paid box to send it in.

Crone

Just bought the Galaxy Tab 3 7 inch. The multi tasking features sold me. Thing looks sweet.

Edit: I can tell right away this thing has a dual core processor. It's laggy, and all I'm trying to do is browse the app store. Have just as much lag, and similar response on my 2 year old Droid Bionic.
frown.png

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Just bought the Galaxy Tab 3 7 inch. The multi tasking features sold me. Thing looks sweet.

Edit: I can tell right away this thing has a dual core processor. It's laggy, and all I'm trying to do is browse the app store. Have just as much lag, and similar response on my 2 year old Droid Bionic.
frown.png
Protip: Return that piece of shit and get a Nexus 7.

You're welcome.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Got all the warts worked out of this new Nexus 7 2013...and damn it's slick...Android especially. Glad I didn't give up on it.

Crone

Protip: Return that piece of shit and get a Nexus 7.

You're welcome.
Was rushed into the purchase and got talked into the slick looking Tab 3.

The very next morning I knew I made a mistake and will be returning the Tab 3. The lucky thing? Between then and now I found a friend that works at Best Buy so I can get an employee discount.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
+1, no reason to get any 7 inch android tablet besides the nexus 7. I have a first gen nexus 7 and it's still smoother and more responsive than anything from Samsung, Asus, etc.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Its all in the stock. Every android device should have an option to wipe and use stock android without the hassle of ROM research

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I finally went to Best Buy to see a 7 inch tablet in person... seems too small for me. That being said, is the Nexus 10 the best 10 inch tablet? Are they coming out with 2nd gen soon like the Nexus 7?

I don't really want an iPad...

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So I finally went to Best Buy to see a 7 inch tablet in person... seems too small for me. That being said, is the Nexus 10 the best 10 inch tablet? Are they coming out with 2nd gen soon like the Nexus 7?

I don't really want an iPad...
I'm holding out on a Nexus 10 refresh before I finally buy a tablet. From what I understand, it's a good tablet, but a little under powered for the high resolution screen. Asus also has a new Transformer Pad on the way, which will have a Tegra 4 SoC, but I haven't heard much else about it.

If you're interested in flashing custom roms, it's hard to go wrong with a nexus device. If not, then the Transformer series is a good one, as it gives you the option to get the keyboard dock which has it's own battery. A coworker of mine has a Prime and has been very happy with it, despite the mediocre wifi reception that got fixed in the Infinity.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
The Nexus 7 is still having touchscreen problems, even after the update that was supposed to fix it. Buyer beware for now.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The Nexus 7 is still having touchscreen problems, even after the update that was supposed to fix it. Buyer beware for now.
I'm reasonably sure it's an issue with grounding, which will be interesting to see how they fix with software. Mine only has the multitouch issue if I am not holding it, which is pretty much never for a tablet this size. It's worse for some people though

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I meant the Transformer series. Also the Nexus 7 is so responsive it's more responsive than the Nexus 7!
Ya I knew what you meant, just messing with you. I agree that the nexus is very different from other Asus tablets.