Tablets

Neki

Molten Core Raider
So I finally went to Best Buy to see a 7 inch tablet in person... seems too small for me. That being said, is the Nexus 10 the best 10 inch tablet? Are they coming out with 2nd gen soon like the Nexus 7?

I don't really want an iPad...
Rumours of a pre holiday season release alongside the Nexus 5

If you are not in a hurry, you might want to see what is going to be announced in what is a busy week upcoming

BBC Technology News - LG's G Pad and Acer's Liquid S2 phone revealed before Ifa

LG and Acer are both claiming "world firsts" with their latest product launches, revealed ahead of Berlin's Ifa tech show.

LG is returning to the tablet market with the G Pad, which the company is marketing as the only 8in (20cm)-class device to feature a "full-HD display".

Acer has announced the Liquid S2 , the first smartphone capable of recording video in the 4K "ultra-HD" format.

It allows the companies to get the jump on rivals in what will be a busy week.

Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Lenovo, Toshiba, Philips and Dyson are among other companies to have scheduled press conferences between 4 and 11 September at the consumer electronics event in the German capital.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just opened up my new Nexus 7, and my first, immediate reaction? Why does the damn bezel have to be so damn big?

Edit: Ehhh, but I see where they are coming from. It gives you somewhere to hang onto. Not so bad after using it. Also, this thing is blazing compared to the Samsung Tab 3. No lag at all browsing through Google Play store getting apps, etc.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Just opened up my new Nexus 7, and my first, immediate reaction? Why does the damn bezel have to be so damn big?

Edit: Ehhh, but I see where they are coming from. It gives you somewhere to hang onto. Not so bad after using it. Also, this thing is blazing compared to the Samsung Tab 3. No lag at all browsing through Google Play store getting apps, etc.
Granted, the N7 is a lot smaller than iPad 2-4, but damn, those things have monstrous bezels. Even the iPad Mini feels like a corpulent fucker compared to my N7 2013.

Pic of IOS 7 running on the new iPad, in case I haven't already posted it:

rrr_img_42481.jpg

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I think the bezel is perfect on the new N7. None on the sides so you can hold it in portrait with one hand, but some on the top and bottom so you can hold it in landscape without unintentional touches. I admit it looks ridiculous at first glance, but functionally it's great.

Silence_sl

shitlord
A week after I got the N7 2013...other thoughts.

Gaming makes this fucker hot...and it stays hot for 10+ minutes after shutting down a game. I played Riptide GP2 and Asphalt 8 and both of them made the tab really hot and it stayed hot for a while....ten minutes or longer after killing the game. I suspect it's using the battery as a heat sink, which is just a bad idea. There's only a few places to drop heat on a $230 tab with a plastic body. Screen or battery, or both. Since the screen didn't get hot, I assume they use the battery as a sink...bad idea since it's going to get hot while playing games off of battery anyway. Beyond that, 19x12 gaming pretty much sucked, with lots of slow downs and hitches. I didn't buy it to game, so I don't care about the ultimately shit experience the N7 provided me in this area.

Power...getting back to that. The included charger is a 7 watt unit, while the battery can easily handle 12 watts without shitting itself. I use a 10 watt iPad charger which juices up the unit in almost an hour less than the 7 watt unit. $230 and all that, but damn, the included power pack just sucks. The N7 has such a reedy battery to begin with, and saddling it with an asthmatic charger is going backwards in a lot of ways. Suck up the extra $0.50 on BOM and spec a 10w charger, Asus.

I'd like to see Asus stand toe-to-toe with Apple's iPad Mini on a BOM standpoint (aside from the screen). Bigger battery, aluminum chassis, 12w charger, and a uniform color screen...and Asus would have it in spades.

As it is, the N7 2013 is a shockingly fantastic effort, all for $100 less than a really shitty small tab from Apple.

And damn, Android 4.3 feels like it's 100 years ahead of iOS. even iOS 7.

Apple does a lot of things right with its mobile ecosystem. Everything just works, always, from hardware to software (until you plug it into iTunes), but the Retina iPads don't have the flat out dazzle of the new N7's screen, nor do they have the raw compute power or the gobs of ram. Also, Jesus, every iPad made has gigantic fucking bezels.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Also, my Nexus 7 backup is 360 mb. My iPad uses 3 GB for the same data. Also, I can back up my N7's data without it shitting the bed. Try doing a restore off the 900 Folders iTunes shits all over The place, and you'll get a half dead iPad in no time.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
So I ran into a problem with my Kindle Fire in that it won't charge unless I seriously fiddle with the usb connector. It is out of the warranty period and apparently the only way to fix it is to replace it. On the recommendation of this thread I went with the new Nexus 7 and holy shit the difference is immediately apparent. It's much quicker opening the same apps and the screen much sharper. I'm already very satisfied.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
So I was able to take the iPad 2 to an Apple store and paid the difference for the 4th gen iPad. Awesome

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
about to spend 26 hours on flights for europe trip. n7 is the choice for 7 inch. what is the best tablet at 10" if I want a bit more screen real estate?

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Mine was still sealed and never opened. They gave me full new price for it $399. So I got the 4th gen for like 108 bucks.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I just started to buy apps on my android phone (Go go Plants vs Zombies!) and I am waiting to buy the new Nexus 10 rumored to come out this Xmas. Before I go appshit with paid apps, once I get my tablet, can I add those paid apps to my tablet for free or do I have to re-buy them?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I just started to buy apps on my android phone (Go go Plants vs Zombies!) and I am waiting to buy the new Nexus 10 rumored to come out this Xmas. Before I go appshit with paid apps, once I get my tablet, can I add those paid apps to my tablet for free or do I have to re-buy them?
It follows your google account around just like with the apple store.

spronk

FPS noob
i dunno about the new N7 but the older model, if you use it a lot for reading locally stored stuff I highly recommend keeping it in airplane mode. The power differences are insane, like mine will usually last around 40 hours (closed) before needing a charge with wifi on, but over 120 hours in airplane mode.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
There's a setting somewhere, where you can tell it to never turn on Wi-Fi if it's in sleep mode. That will help the battery last significantly longer. My Nexus 10 generally doesn't see a lot of use when I'm not on vacation or otherwise traveling, other than as my alarm clock. It only needs to be charged every couple weeks in that case.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Here is Asus's answer to the Microsoft Surface:

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/12/meet-th...uck-surface-2/

Windows 8.1 (not RT)
Unlike the original Eee PC, the Transformer Book T100 isn't a chopped down computer. It runs on a new quad-core Intel Bay Trail Atom chip paired with 2 GB of memory. The screen resolution is 1366 x 768 and the computer has a micro USB port, micro HDMI, microSD card reader and a full-sized USB 3.0 port on the keyboard dock. Asus says you can expect up to 11 hours of battery life.

It's a pretty impressive feat to put together such a nice-looking product at this cost. The $349 model comes with 32 GB of internal storage but for $50 more you can purchase a 64 GB model. Asus says the 2.4 pound computer will be available in mid-October.

Silence_sl

shitlord
There's a setting somewhere, where you can tell it to never turn on Wi-Fi if it's in sleep mode. That will help the battery last significantly longer. My Nexus 10 generally doesn't see a lot of use when I'm not on vacation or otherwise traveling, other than as my alarm clock. It only needs to be charged every couple weeks in that case.
Settings > Wifi > Advanced (click on the 3 stacked dots on the upper right).