Tablets

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Was thinking about waiting for the new Nexus, but couldn't wait any longer... Ended up buying an Ipad Air. Never seen/used one, so pretty pumped to receive it and play with it - should be here Friday. Anyone own one have any tips? I assume jailbreaking these things is a relatively simple deal?
Thing is pretty slick - not sure why I waited so long to pull the trigger

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thing is pretty slick - not sure why I waited so long to pull the trigger
It's all the Apple hate that held you back! I think it's going to be interesting to see what new phone sizes does to iPad sales. IMO 4 inch iPhone , 7" iPad Mini, 10" iPad air are pretty perfect size increments. Why buy a Mini if you get the 5.5" iPhone? It's like they are taking away a device sale by going with a bigger size.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Probably was all the hate, ha! It's fast, light and easy to use - wife loves it. I reckon the Mini is probably still a bit better for games/web browsing, but that is awfully close size wise. Will be interesting to see if they come out with a bigger mini.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Just got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4. Never owned a tablet. Anyone have any killer apps that I should get on it? I'm very well versed in Android, just haven't ever had a tablet.

Edit: To clarify, I guess I mean any not very well known apps. I have Plex/Chromecast/Chrome/all the other must-haves on there.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Team vieweris the shit for sitting in bed and watching movies / shows / playing Hearthstone on your tablet. It annihilates (3 hours or so before your out of juice) your battery but that is what a bedside charger is for.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I use ES File Explorer to access my network share and watch shows with MXPlayer. Not sure why you would do it through TeamViewer.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yeah I don't get that either. I either use Plex or Chromecast for movies on the TV and MXPlayer on my phone or (now) tablet. I can see how controlling the computer screen would be nice, I guess. One thing I love is that since its a Samsung tablet and we have a Samsung TV I can ditch my TV remote now. Even though I only use it to turn it on/off, still kinda cool.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I had ES file manager but I am OCD when it comes to apps and ES didn't allow me to play Hearthstone. I suppose I can just use that to play and use ES for music / tv (shrug).

Another OCD thing but ES for some reason wouldn't work with only having my main user account (Admin rights) with no password and essentially I had to make another admin account with a password in order to log in. What bugged me about that is then every time I booted up my computer I would get the "pick your user" icon screen instead of just my desktop. I know i know, white girl problems.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Set a password for your main account and then run "netplwiz", select your user and uncheck the "User must enter an username and password to use this computer" checkbox. This way, when you startup/reboot, it will go straight to desktop and your network shares will work.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Set a password for your main account and then run "netplwiz", select your user and uncheck the "User must enter an username and password to use this computer" checkbox. This way, when you startup/reboot, it will go straight to desktop and your network shares will work.
You da man. When I get home I will give this a shot.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Archos video is excellent as well. ES file explorer. Root explorer.

All of them can see network content and play it on your device.

spronk

FPS noob
"reddit is fun" if you browse reddit
"torque" cool obd2 car diagnostics wireless reader if you are into that shit
"period tracker" i know when my wife is about to get bitchier than normal
duolingo or memrise - learn another language
sleeptime - tracks your sleep and shit, my table is next to the bed 99% of the time and i use it as an alarm now

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
It is not fair, you can get a super amoled android tablet full hd for 500 dollars. You can get the Ipad air full hd for IOS. But for windows, you are stuck with 900+ dollars if you want a full hd resolution. Why is this happening ? Why such a huge price disparity ? Or Is there some wonderfull full hd windows tablet with baytrail processor for 500 dollars ? 10 inches, of course.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It is not fair, you can get a super amoled android tablet full hd for 500 dollars. You can get the Ipad air full hd for IOS. But for windows, you are stuck with 900+ dollars if you want a full hd resolution. Why is this happening ? Why such a huge price disparity ? Or Is there some wonderfull full hd windows tablet with baytrail processor for 500 dollars ? 10 inches, of course.
128GB iPad Air = $800

128GB Surface 2 = $600
128GB Surface Pro 3 = $1000

Looks like Ipads are priced right in between the 2 models of Surface tablets for the same amount of storage

You pay a premium for the Surface pro because it is a full windows platform. An iPad is more comparable(feature-wise) to the regular Surface RT tablets. Closed environments, cannot run computer software.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
The Surface 2 is full HD (1920x1080) and the 32GB model costs $450

Aydenn

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's the Dell Venue Pro 11 for just under $500

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I picked up an Asus Transformer T100TA at Best Buy. Ended up returning it but it is a damn slick machine for the price. I wanted to replace my netbook (which I don't use anymore except for network analysis and Linux VM) and my work laptop for most things (I just don't need the horsepower unless I'm going to be in a hotel room for many days on business). I've struggled for a long time with adopting a tablet that used a mobile OS. Win 8.1 works surprisingly well. What did it in for me though was 1) new model with more horsepower is available and 2) the 1366x768 just murders a lot of applications that just clip outside the viewable desktop.

I really want a Surface RT without RT. I just want full Windows functionality and application support with a full HD screen and battery life that isn't murdered to shit by an i7. I'd be happy with a ~10" format with that. And maybe 4 GB ram instead of 2. :p

Oldbased

> Than U
The Hisense Sero 7 I bought on newegg for $50 which came "refurbished" but brand new in box has been pretty awesome for everything I needed for taking work pictures, browsing stores and doing estimates on the job. I have to Wifi my phone for mobile internet though when I am away from home, which is the only complaint I have so far after 3 weeks using it.

Crazy woman I live with has a dell laptop she lugs around the house all day to only play music and watch some TV and browse web( she doesn't work ) and I am thinking of trying to find a 10inch or so for her. I just need a good solid cheap deal so she can watch DISH outside in the gazebo and stream music off our wifi.