Tablets

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unfortunately, their tablet app hasn't been updated with video support yet. Additionally, you need to install the Amazon appstore app, then attempt to play a video, which will redirect you to an install link for the Amazon video app.

I really hated the Amazon appstore app because it was always running in the background and asking to update and stuff, even when I force closed it. I guess this is Amazon's way of forcing people to use their terrible app store? Even the video app itself is sluggish and feels like you are controlling a mobile site with embedded video. But whatever, at least it's possible now.

EDIT: and no chromecast support. Mega fail.
Mirror the tablet to chromecast and then start movie in amazon app works just like casting

Oldbased

> Than U
Has there been any android tablets that update freely without rooting? My phone has gone through 3 android changes, but my tablet is stuck back in 4.2.2
Why are phones able to but Tablets for the most part seem stuck to whatever version it was released with.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has there been any android tablets that update freely without rooting? My phone has gone through 3 android changes, but my tablet is stuck back in 4.2.2
Why are phones able to but Tablets for the most part seem stuck to whatever version it was released with.
My 1st gen Nexus 7 is on 4.4.4. No rooting or searching anything out. No idea if that's totally up to date or what.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Have you tried the update feature? I got my father the first gen and he has the latest Android.

Oldbased

> Than U
I couldn't find a way to update the tablet. The phone has always auto updated.
I did click the 4.2.2 Android under internal information. When I tapped it about a dozen times the screen changed into a large Jelly Bean, when I clicked it again it blew up into a hundred small jelly beans lol.
So naturally I did it with the phones Kitkat, and ended up with a KitKat themed Android candy bar that turned into a cool game.

Sure people knew this already, I did not however.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
9" sounds intriguing to me. I've found my Nexus 10 a bit too big and heavy, but I don't read comics on it. But a 7" is too small. Something in the 8-9" range is probably my sweet spot. My Nexus 10 still looks brand new, but it periodically runs like absolute dog shit. Not sure why. It got so bad last spring that I did a factory reset and started from scratch, and it was back to normal initially, but it's running like shit again. And I install seriously next to no apps on it other than some very, very basic shit. The battery life has also gone in the shitter, and it occasionally hard resets for no reason that I can identify.

I doubt I'll replace it until it completely dies, but a new Nexus tablet could speed that up potentially.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
For me also, the 10" devices feel awkward to hold particularly one handed (despite reasonably large hands, XL gloves blah blah) but I'd be curious to play around with a 9" device to see if it was any better. The Nexus-7 is pretty much the perfect size to hold but from a screen perspective there are times when it feels too small.

Funnily enough I needed to do a factory reset on the 2012 Nexus 7 from launch, ever since the 4.4 releases of Android it has felt sluggish.

Denjoy

Molten Core Raider
I just bought my first tablet, a Nexus 7. The screen is like 323 ppi and after using it all night I went back to my 2560x1440 monitor which is like 109 ppi and holy shit the fonts look like absolute dog shit. The tablet ruined me.
frown.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, my wife's desktop is kinda dieing. Specifically, the hard drive likes to take a shit occasionally and this time I had to clean a bunch of bad sectors, which is a huge red flag that it's failing. She rarely ever uses it, spends most of the time on her Nexus phone and tablet. She really doesn't need a desktop and it's just handed down parts from me.

I was thinking instead of getting her a Surface and an external hard drive for music and pictures. I couldn't think of a better solution for someone who needs to sit at a computer and type about once a month. Does the surface have accessories for docking? Her monitor/keyboard/mouse still work just fine. Or would I be better off just buying a cheap laptop?

Also, is Windows RT reason enough not to get this? I know the UI on Windows 8 bugs the shit out of me.

Siliconemelons

So, my wife's desktop is kinda dieing. Specifically, the hard drive likes to take a shit occasionally and this time I had to clean a bunch of bad sectors, which is a huge red flag that it's failing. She rarely ever uses it, spends most of the time on her Nexus phone and tablet. She really doesn't need a desktop and it's just handed down parts from me.

I was thinking instead of getting her a Surface and an external hard drive for music and pictures. I couldn't think of a better solution for someone who needs to sit at a computer and type about once a month. Does the surface have accessories for docking? Her monitor/keyboard/mouse still work just fine. Or would I be better off just buying a cheap laptop?

Also, is Windows RT reason enough not to get this? I know the UI on Windows 8 bugs the shit out of me.
A Surface*RT? or a Surface Pro/2/3 -- I got an RT @ work because they where going to get me an iPad but I stopped them, and I could not get a "pro" because it is a laptop and purchasing would not let me have 2 computers..

Windows 8RT is castrated in the only apps you can get are via metro/windows store. it has Office: Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook that run in desktop mode- as well as IE in desktop mode. My desktop mode outlook wont work with my work exchange server but the metro mail and lync do...?wtf... I do use it for IE and Word and Excel and it is nice- but the RT has no dock- the pro1/2/3 all have docks and are real "computers" running 8.1- I would get a pro2 or pro3 an a dock and the type keyboard cover- it will be a nice setup.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I would stay far away from Windows RT.

I've got a Surface Pro 2 and it's pretty nice. I would get the 3 over the 2 unless you can get a 2 at a significant discount thuough. In portrait it's just too damn narrow, the 3's aspect ratio should be a big improvement. Plus the black exterior makes the scratches and wear around ports and corner show up a lot more than the lighter color of the 3. I keep it in a soft sleeve with the power cover attached, but it picks up scratches very easily everywhere except the glass.

I got one of the upgraded versions, which has the i5 4300u instead of the 4200u it originally shipped with and it runs things surprisingly well. I put ArcheAge on it for farming while at work and it manages 30-40 fps on minimum settings, though it draws so much power that the charger can't quite keep up.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I wasn't planning on spending that much money. Still considering just buying her a new hard drive. Wouldn't an ok laptop be cheaper than a pro 2/3?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Absolutely. You can get a laptop that is on par with the hardware in a Surface for $500 or less, and a bigger screen to boot. You won't get a touch screen for that price, and obviously the Surface is much smaller/lighter, you definitely pay a premium for those 2 things.

That being said, the Surface is an awesome device if it fits in your budget at all.

Siliconemelons

you can get a nice HP x2 split for cheaper than the surface 3- and its basically the same idea...

Split x2 | HP? Official Store

the surface however is really good hardware, its a very solid and very-VERY well built machine and has really nice dock options- but yes...you are paying for it.

koljec_sl

shitlord
you can get a nice HP x2 split for cheaper than the surface 3- and its basically the same idea...

Split x2 | HP? Official Store

the surface however is really good hardware, its a very solid and very-VERY well built machine and has really nice dock options- but yes...you are paying for it.
I don't believe HP splits are wacom-enabled. That is a major difference in terms of functionality and price.

Speaking of wacom tablets, anyone have any recommendations for PDF annotation software for a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Another consideration would be a chromebook. Since she rarely uses the desktop and uses an android phone and tablet, it sounds like it would be a good fit. Unless one of the main purposes of still having a desktop is to do things in windows.

Siliconemelons

I don't believe HP splits are wacom-enabled. That is a major difference in terms of functionality and price.

Speaking of wacom tablets, anyone have any recommendations for PDF annotation software for a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2?
Very true, they are just touch- not pen input like the surface pro's...

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I still love my surface, I hope they shrink the 3 back down towards the size of the 1 and 2 cause I find the 1 to be about as big and heavy as I want a tablet to be.

I can't imagine going back to a actual laptop tho, desktop + surface + phone is pretty much the sweet spot on devices imo. Going back to a bulky laptop after using a great tablet would be incredibly hard I think.