Tablets

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So for a 10"tablet to stream music at home, basic browsing around and maybe TV time to time is this my best bet? Samsung galaxy note 10" $179.
16GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 1280x800 Android 4.1 Tablet w/ S-Pen (refurbished) $178 after $20 Rebate + Free Shipping - Newegg Deals, Coupons and Promos
I bought that exact tablet for my wife a little over a year ago, it was also a refurb at the time. It's great, she loves it. We never, ever use the stylus pen but it's still a REALLY good tablet even without that feature. It's every bit as snappy when running apps as my 1st gen Nexus 7. It has pretty nice built-in speakers too, dual front-facing speakers that are on either side of the screen when you have it turned sideways in landscape mode.

Slap a cheap case on it(so it can stand up) and you are gtg. I grabbed this one, works great:Amazon.com: GMYLE? Deep Blue PU Leather 360 Degree Rotating Swivel Folio Case Cover With Adjustable Multi Angle Stand For Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 Tablet (Not for Note 10.1 2014 Edition): Computers Accessories

Oldbased

> Than U
I bought that exact tablet for my wife a little over a year ago, it was also a refurb at the time. It's great, she loves it. We never, ever use the stylus pen but it's still a REALLY good tablet even without that feature. It's every bit as snappy when running apps as my 1st gen Nexus 7. It has pretty nice built-in speakers too, dual front-facing speakers that are on either side of the screen when you have it turned sideways in landscape mode.

Slap a cheap case on it(so it can stand up) and you are gtg. I grabbed this one, works great:Amazon.com: GMYLE? Deep Blue PU Leather 360 Degree Rotating Swivel Folio Case Cover With Adjustable Multi Angle Stand For Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 Tablet (Not for Note 10.1 2014 Edition): Computers Accessories
Thanks, I think it'll be fine for her. She is in mid filing for disability and has nerve degeneration disease and goes in for spinal tap in 2 weeks for MS testing. She right now she lugs that 17" laptop I bought her inside and outside all day. She doesn't game and basically looks up stuff while listening to Rhapsody all day, I think she'll enjoy it then.

I also saw this which I can get shipped for basically same price.
32GB Asus 10.1 Transformer Book Tablet w/ Keyboard Dock (Refurbished) $205 or less after $50 Rebate - TigerDirect Deals, Coupons and Promos

Going to have to do some thinking.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I really want a Surface RT without RT. I just want full Windows functionality and application support with a full HD screen and battery life that isn't murdered to shit by an i7. I'd be happy with a ~10" format with that. And maybe 4 GB ram instead of 2. :p
Isn't the I5 pro 2 battery life like 8+ hours? My pro 1 lasts a solid 4 hours doing tablet type activities and the the 2 should last atleast double that.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Isn't the I5 pro 2 battery life like 8+ hours? My pro 1 lasts a solid 4 hours doing tablet type activities and the the 2 should last atleast double that.
I've got a Surface Pro 2 (the updated version with the i5-4300U) and as usual, battery life varies greatly depending on what you're doing. If I'm just streaming Netflix or browsing, I can usually get around 7 hours depending on the screen brightness.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Anand very recently did some Surface Pro 3 battery tests and compares the results to those of the older surfaces:

AnandTech | Microsofts Surface Pro 3: Core i3 vs. Core i5 Battery Life

In the laptop battery tests they are pretty ho hum. Pro 2 and Pro 3 have significant battery life boosts from the Pro 1 in those tests on lighter workloads, but at most a 60% increase. However, in the tablet light use battery tests they perform even better compared to the pro 1. The Pro 3 with an i3 nearly doubles up the Pro 1 there and is even pretty close to an iPad Air in that battery life test. Pretty impressive for a full windows machine running a core cpu.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The Hisense Sero 7 I bought on newegg for $50 which came "refurbished" but brand new in box has been pretty awesome for everything I needed for taking work pictures, browsing stores and doing estimates on the job. I have to Wifi my phone for mobile internet though when I am away from home, which is the only complaint I have so far after 3 weeks using it.

Crazy woman I live with has a dell laptop she lugs around the house all day to only play music and watch some TV and browse web( she doesn't work ) and I am thinking of trying to find a 10inch or so for her. I just need a good solid cheap deal so she can watch DISH outside in the gazebo and stream music off our wifi.
You goddamn son of a bitch, you know what you did..

This message presented by the marriage thread.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have kids with tablets? Have a 2nd gen nexus 7 I'm trying to kid proof and having a hard time finding a case. An otterbox defender series would be good but I've only found the case for 1st gen nexus.

Basically a rugged case. Fully covered on all sides. Water proof. Aesthetics don't matter.

Taryk

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have kids with tablets? Have a 2nd gen nexus 7 I'm trying to kid proof and having a hard time finding a case. An otterbox defender series would be good but I've only found the case for 1st gen nexus.

Basically a rugged case. Fully covered on all sides. Water proof. Aesthetics don't matter.
Closest 2 I've seen so far to the Otterbox Defender

Amazon.com: Poetic REVOLUTION Case for Google Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Gen 2013 Android Tablet Black (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic): Computers Accessories

Amazon.com: Gumdrop Cases 7-Inch Drop Tech Color Case for Nexus 2, Light Blue/Royal Blue (CUST-DTNEX7V2-LTBLU_RYLBLU): Electronics

Crone

Ya, my 17 month old is getting smart. MX Player on the tablet, has a lock feature, but he figures out where to press to unlock it still. lol But would still love to be able to give him the tablet and not give a flip. You might have the right idea Joeboo.
smile.png

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
My son has had a Fire for over a year (he's 3), we use this case.Amazon.com: Marware Swurve for Kindle Fire HD 7 (Blue): Electronics

We love Kindle Free Time. Tons of apps and video, and we can buy stuff like Wreck-it Ralph, Frozen, etc and expose them to his device for streaming.

We had to download an app to lock the volume, but you can defeat it by holding down the slider where you went to turn it up to and kinda glitch it... which of course he figured out before us. He's stopped doing that though.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I just need a way to lock the tablet down to 1 app while it is in use. My 1 year old loves to poke and swipe and all that stuff, he has an Itsy Bitsy Spider app that he loves. But he inevitably will swipe from the edge and accidentally pull up the android options...or hit the home or back button on the screen and exit out. I wish an app could be locked down unless the physical power button on the side is pressed, or something like that.

Crone

I just need a way to lock the tablet down to 1 app while it is in use. My 1 year old loves to poke and swipe and all that stuff, he has an Itsy Bitsy Spider app that he loves. But he inevitably will swipe from the edge and accidentally pull up the android options...or hit the home or back button on the screen and exit out. I wish an app could be locked down unless the physical power button on the side is pressed, or something like that.
Agree completely. Or since I'm a cheap ass, within seconds my son has hit the advertisement, and it's off on some other page then. lol

Pinch_sl

shitlord
Unfortunately, their tablet app hasn't been updated with video support yet. Additionally, you need to install the Amazon appstore app, then attempt to play a video, which will redirect you to an install link for the Amazon video app.

I really hated the Amazon appstore app because it was always running in the background and asking to update and stuff, even when I force closed it. I guess this is Amazon's way of forcing people to use their terrible app store? Even the video app itself is sluggish and feels like you are controlling a mobile site with embedded video. But whatever, at least it's possible now.

EDIT: and no chromecast support. Mega fail.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
WTF is the Nexus 10 refresh???
My first gen Asus Transformer (yes, first gen) is barely hanging in there.
No one knows, and it's really odd. Google stopped producing the original Nexus 10 quite a while ago, they've been sold out on the Google Play store for months, but theres absolutely no word on a new one. Heck, no one even knows who is making it, there's rumors of Asus, LG, HTC, and others. I'd say at this point if theres zero info and nothing has leaked, i'd almost be surprised to see one this fall. But on that same note, the original is 2 years old as of this fall, if they skip 2 years I'd almost have to believe that they are getting out of the 10" tablet business completely.