Tablets

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. On my wife's Nexus 7 she set up her Comcast email, and it pops up notifications. It seems that before we updated the OS, she would receive a "ding" noise and a popup alerting us of the new email. Now when she gets a new email we get the popup but then one thousand dings all in succession really quickly. I assume it's pinging for old new emails that she never looked at, but I have no clue.

Aside from my wife actually reading her emails, is there a way to avoid this email barrage?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finally updated Android on my Nexus 7. I instantly hate it. They made the bottom buttons more retarded looking and less intuitive. And when I click on my wifi instead of taking me to the page to choose which one to connect to it now just turns if off and on.

The world is a fart and I hate everything everywhere forever.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Finally updated Android on my Nexus 7. I instantly hate it. They made the bottom buttons more retarded looking and less intuitive. And when I click on my wifi instead of taking me to the page to choose which one to connect to it now just turns if off and on.

The world is a fart and I hate everything everywhere forever.
If you tap on the text below the wifi icon it takes you to the wifi settings. Same goes for bluetooth.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have a problem with their Nexus 7(2012) connecting to wifi after upgrading to Android 5? I've already tried a factory reset, no luck. I'm wondering if it's the image. My wife got 5.0.2 and our phones(Nexus 5) are still on 5.0.1.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Any updates on how this thing is working for you?
Just got Windows 8.1 Pro on my Teclast yesterday. Works great, streams Steam games from desktop. I linked a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to it basically a fully functional computer only super small. Battery life is also really good had it on most of the day at work and it used ~50% battery. over ~9 hours. I still need to go into the bios for some tweaks and also install some slightly different drivers to optimize it further.

Since i bought mine they released a new version with 64gb of storage instead of 32gb. As is after install I have 20gb to work with, (plus my 32gb microsd) I still have something to run to clear out some more space.

ATM, I'd hold off buying one they should be coming out with some new tablets soon enough with Retina displays and intel M processors which should be a good jump in performance and/or battery life.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe someone has some experience with old Apple gear, but friend of mine is ditching an iPad gen 2 for $100. He's moving, and dumping old stuff.

Anyway, it'll update to iOS8, and is 64gb, so space wouldn't be an issue. I don't intend to do anything crazy on it, and I already have an iPhone, so it would be neat to get an iPad to link to that. But when is too old? Is it like an old computer where it'll just be annoyingly slow doing anything at all like web browsing?

I already have a Nexus 7 gen2, and never use it, because it's just always more convenient to use my iPhone 5s.

Is it worth $100? Saw on Amazon they are somehow still selling for $340? Thought that was silly.

Thanks for the help.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
If anybody's interested, our firm is about to hit the one year mark using about 35 Surface 2/3's as desktop replacements for end-users. This is with a dock and a 3 monitor setup. Haven't had a single unit die so far (just a charger) and no user complaints-- they all love them.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Still use ipad2 every day. Spent 90 bucks fixing a cracked screen a few weeks ago. Would pay twice that to keep using it.

Crone

Yes, I still use my Ipad gen 2 pretty much everyday. Love it.
Still use ipad2 every day. Spent 90 bucks fixing a cracked screen a few weeks ago. Would pay twice that to keep using it.
Awesome, I'll pick it up then. I'm curious, what do you guys use it for every day that has aged so well you don't feel the need for a faster version? If you use it every day and love it, why not get an Air 2 and love it even more?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Netflix, twitch, reading text books, web browsing. No reason to pay hundreds more dollars for ipad air. I do have Samsung note 2014 for taking notes. If ipad didn't sucks for note taking I would not have that either.

Column_sl

shitlord
Same, mostly for internet browsing, and comic book/ and e book reading.

The ipad air screen isn't much better, my wife has one, and I can barely tell the difference. Just the text is a tad sharper..

If you have to play games all the time you might need the extra horsepower, but I can't imagine playing games on the Ipad.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ipad2 is the bedside reader, a few F2P games, and if the mouse isn't around quickly controls the htpc.

outside of that i wouldn't use it, i find it a chore barely typing in search terms (once you swype it's like ancient), i know i recently jailbroke it, so i probably could find some swype replacement, but eh, don't want to spend the brainpower.

btw jailbreaking took 2mins, you should research and checkout if it's viable, also don't forget to clorox wipe it, no idea wtf your friend was doing with it.

Crone

Perfect. I don't play any mobile games at all on my 5s, and I don't suspect I'll start just because I get a bigger screen.

What iOS version are you guys running? I read that iOS8 slows the iPad 2 down quite a bit and to stay on 7 if I can?

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
I ran IOS 8 on my iPad3 and my wife's iPad2, but I downgraded them both to IOS 7. They took a big performance hit between the two versions ... Usable, but slower to respond.

I actually just replaced them both with iPad Airs, and I was looking to drop them on eBay or Swappa, but if someone here wanted them, I'd sell them privately over PMs.

Crone

According to google searches, the first iteration of iOS8 was no good for the iPad 2, but 8.1.1 made big improvements I guess. Trying to look up feedback on how 8.2 is working for iPad 2.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
My ipad gets a bit choppy rarely with the latest operating system. Also some web pages with heavy content crash and reload rarely. I lose maybe a minute of my life on these things daily with about 3-4 hours of use each day.

Column_sl

shitlord
I use the latest IOS with not problems so far. I don't do anything processor intensive tho. It's pretty much web surfing, reading, and watching some twitch.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I use the latest IOS with not problems so far. I don't do anything processor intensive tho. It's pretty much web surfing, reading, and watching some twitch.
Loading the gif thread is impossible on my ipad2.