Tablets

Column_sl

shitlord
That pencil is going to be terrible anyway. I tested out the product from China that they are basing this design off of, and it is not a good experience.

If you wanted to add something like this they should have went full on stylus like samsung did.

It's such a shitty product all around, they are completely out of ideas over there, and everyone else is doing it better.

I'm wondering how much longer Apple will have until they fall out of public opinion, because that is the sole reason they can sell anything.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The surface RT failed because it had no apps compared to the Surface Pro which had access to everything running on Windows. If Apple were to make the iPad Pro with OSX it would fail like RT did for Microsoft because of few apps. Having the iPad Pro use iOS makes more sense has it has access to way more apps that way than it would with OSX.

That being said, I don't see any point to these large tablets either...and the price with a keyboard is absolutely ridiculous. I don't see it succeeding.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
If Apple were to make the iPad Pro with OSX it would fail like RT did for Microsoft because of few apps. Having the iPad Pro use iOS makes more sense has it has access to way more apps that way than it would with OSX.
Why would a MacPad fail because of few apps? The number of people using MacBooks for business seems to be increasing - if it was a MacPad somebody would have access to all Mac programs and could dual-boot windows if they wanted as well. To me the ideal for this larger iPad would be a MacPad with the ability to emulate iOS, but Apple has refused to try to take the Mac OS in that direction to make it touch compatible. Microsoft had to go through the pains of Windows8 to allow itself and its partners to create all the 2 in 1's we're seeing now.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Apple seems completely lost these days. They were driving technology forward and being trend setters and taste makers in the tech field. Anymore it seems like they just take whatever is working now and come to the starting line 2 years late.

Siliconemelons

The surface RT failed because it had no apps compared to the Surface Pro which had access to everything running on Windows. If Apple were to make the iPad Pro with OSX it would fail like RT did for Microsoft because of few apps. Having the iPad Pro use iOS makes more sense has it has access to way more apps that way than it would with OSX.

That being said, I don't see any point to these large tablets either...and the price with a keyboard is absolutely ridiculous. I don't see it succeeding.
The RT Failed for more reasons than the standard "app gap" - I have an RT 2, and its a nice piece of hardware and I love it AS A TABLET > any other- because it has full MS office, and all the stupid metro stuff- RT failed because it was the "one OS for all" attempt and it failed- they are trying it again in branding everything Windows 10 even mobile although its not. People saw the surface RT and thought it ran full windows, it did not...

The entire POINT, imo of a "pro tablet/computer hybrid" is that you get the form factor of the tablet and the full desktop capability as the same time, thus the success of the surface and other tablet-ized laptops that all run full windows. the iPad pro offers really nothing other than "Hey devs, now you can make SUPER apps that can ONLY run on the ipad pro, not OSX or standard ios devices...but we want them to be desktop level "apps" but not the desktop app, because its not OSX" - that and they know if they made a ipad pro that ran osx it would be intel based and have bootcamp and it would be take up to be a fancy "apply shiny" surface pro :p

Apple is playing the "enter into enterprise market" very poorly...but giving us a consumer device branded "pro"... disconnected CEO's and consumers will eat the thing up obviously but real corporate buy in is nill... their only positive step is AD support with modern AD- but if your in a old AD structure and no one is updating that, your macs are still out of luck in their domain stuff...less you do lots of convoluted stuff to replicate the forest bla bla bla.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Didn't Jobs always scoff at stylus and keyboard for use with a tablet? I recall some quote like "the only stylus you need is right here" and then he would give you the finger.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Didn't Jobs always scoff at stylus and keyboard for use with a tablet? I recall some quote like "the only stylus you need is right here" and then he would give you the finger.
Yes he did. He's dead so I don't think they give a fuck anymore. He was the one keeping the iphone from having a bigger screen.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Maybe a silly question, but I have a Teclast X98, and I like to use an OTG USB to use my logitech mouse when i'm playing games like HotS.

But eventually I need to charge.

So is there a way to charge AND use OTG at the same time? Or is there maybe a way I can use the micro HDMI to have the mouse connect?

ipeefreely

Trakanon Raider
Anyone else have a ASUS VivoTab Note 8?

After an update yesterday I get a Secure Boot Violation message when I power it up now....
frown.png

Found someone else with the same issue here:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=1442458268832

I haven't found anyway to get into the BIOS???
mad.png

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Is the surface pro really popular enough to warrant being copied by apple? This thing is a lousy copy of it too since it's running IOS. The only reason to pay that much for a tablet is because you can use it to do real computer shit which you're not going to do without a real computer OS.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yes. MS has gone from writing off $900m in Surface inventory in 2013 to selling $700m in Pro 3 tablets Q3, the line has quite a bit of momentum.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yes. MS has gone from writing off $900m in Surface inventory in 2013 to selling $700m in Pro 3 tablets Q3, the line has quite a bit of momentum.
how much of that writeoff was Surface R/T units? The RT was a spectacular failure. The Pro is a damn solid device

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
New Kindle Fires look nice, wife already talking about maybe buying the $250 six-pack for Christmas presents for nieces and nephews.

8" for $150, 10.1" for $230 running a new Fire OS on top of Lollipop and they have MicroSD slots!

Amazon announces new 7-inch Fire tablet that only costs $50 | The Verge

Amazon wants you to watch more Amazon video on its new Fire HD tablets | The Verge

New tablets ship at the end of the month.
Screen resolutions look shit. I was hoping for cheaper 10" tablets from amazon, but not in exchange for 2010 specs. The 10" is ?199 here, same price as a "regular android" tablet off a discounter which is rocking 1920x1200 pixels and a larger memory out of the box.

I'm a huge Amazon fanboi though and might still get one sooner or later. Maybe one of the small cheapos though, for the kid to mess around on.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'm seriously considering one of those $50 guys. I basically only use a tablet for reading or playing podcasts at night, some occasional web browsing and the occasional game. That thing outspecs what I'm currently using (an OG Motorola Xoom) and at that price I could almost treat it as disposable. The kids mode sounds cool too, my 1yr old loves playing with my tablet but she is constantly accidently getting into settings/things she shouldn't.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The company I just left was converting to using surface pro's for a lot of desktop work with a dock and taking the surface pro if you needed to travel and such.

At work everyday nobody knows the differene when it's docked. It works well for them because the only travel is to another office and they have a dock for them when they get there.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I'm seriously considering one of those $50 guys. I basically only use a tablet for reading or playing podcasts at night, some occasional web browsing and the occasional game. That thing outspecs what I'm currently using (an OG Motorola Xoom) and at that price I could almost treat it as disposable. The kids mode sounds cool too, my 1yr old loves playing with my tablet but she is constantly accidently getting into settings/things she shouldn't.
We're probably getting my 18 month old a kids edition, about when her 4 year old brother got his - and maybe getting him a new one. Would get the $50 version for her, but after case and stuff might as well just spring for the kids edition. MicroSD is the biggest reason I want the new ones. You can restrict content on freetime but they can load the thing up with apps and books through that until they're out of storage and it shuts off wifi. Would mitigate that quite a bit.