Tablets

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kindle still locked down Amazon version of Android? And if so, how laughably easy to root? Considering the batch buy idea as gifts for the kiddos.

Or is the Amazon market close enough to the Play Store now that it wouldn't be necessary to unlock it?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Has a better large-sized tablet come out since the Nexus 10? I was looking at Samsung's latest tablet and it appears to have less RAM and a slower processor although quad core vs duel core. I'm just not sure if I'd see much of a performance bump. But it feels like my Nexus 10 has slowed down recently. Maybe I just need to factory reset the thing.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Has a better large-sized tablet come out since the Nexus 10? I was looking at Samsung's latest tablet and it appears to have less RAM and a slower processor although quad core vs duel core. I'm just not sure if I'd see much of a performance bump. But it feels like my Nexus 10 has slowed down recently. Maybe I just need to factory reset the thing.
See my other posts in this thread. My Nexus 10 is now basically a gigantic piece of shit that crashes regularly, often can't connect to WiFi, and is laggy as all fuck. I've done several factory resets that only make the problem better for a few weeks/months. I also do a cache partition clean and re-format, and that made a bigger difference but it's still back to being a piece of shit again.

I'm waiting on the new Samsung Tab S2's to become available.

Tenks

Sounds like we're having similar issues. Although mine doesn't crash too often nor have connectivity issues. But I have noticed it is far less responsive and it sometimes takes for fucking ever to load web pages. Also the Chrome on my Nexus 10 (but it does on my S6) doesn't support Imgur's gifv format so I have to use mobile Firefox which is a gigantic steaming pile of shit.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The new Nexus, the Nexus 9, is a great tablet. Slightly smaller than the previous years models but it's an absolute beast in the horsepower department. I bought one 3 or 4 months ago and couldn't be happier with it. Screen is amazing and the battery life is solid. They did go back to a 3:4 aspect ratio(like iPads) for the screen though, which is honestly better for reading and web browsing than 16:9(or 16:10) anyways. I don't watch movies on my tablet so that wasn't an issue for me, giving up that widescreen aspect ratio.

Tenks

The new Nexus, the Nexus 9, is a great tablet. Slightly smaller than the previous years models but it's an absolute beast in the horsepower department. I bought one 3 or 4 months ago and couldn't be happier with it. Screen is amazing and the battery life is solid. They did go back to a 3:4 aspect ratio(like iPads) for the screen though, which is honestly better for reading and web browsing than 16:9(or 16:10) anyways. I don't watch movies on my tablet so that wasn't an issue for me, giving up that widescreen aspect ratio.
What about reading comics? I always felt like 3:4 would have to worse in that regard. The only things I use my tablet for is browsing the web and reading comics.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Dunno, don't read comics, but it's great for normal books. Are comics a different size ratio than a normal hardback book?

Tenks

Dunno, don't read comics, but it's great for normal books. Are comics a different size ratio than a normal hardback book?
Quick google seems to yield it is more about preference. Some prefer 4:3 others 16:9. So it seems regardless you can't completely fuck up buying one or the other for reading comics.

Tenks

Looks like I fixed many of my grievances by simply downloading the Reddit Sync app. It plays gifv perfectly, loads images quickly and is overall very responsive on my Nexus 10.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Looks like I fixed many of my grievances by simply downloading the Reddit Sync app. It plays gifv perfectly, loads images quickly and is overall very responsive on my Nexus 10.
There's no rhyme or reason to the issues with mine. It seems that the WiFi connection is more or less fucked, so watching streaming videos and the like is painful or just impossible. But if the file is on the device, it plays like a champ using VLC or MX Player. Sometimes when it won't connect to my WiFi network, I'll try to turn the WiFi off, and it will refuse to shut off. The little slider thing says off, but it will still show all the networks, indicating it's not actually off (when it is actually off, it doesn't show anything at all).

To me there's nothing wrong with the hardware. For whatever reason, the firmware/OS has gotten borked over time, and doing factory resets, cache partition formats etc only seems to push the symptoms back a bit. From doing some brief Googling around, it's a pretty common problem.

Tenks

Yeah I tried to watch some Twitch via their app last night on my Nexus 10 and it was stuttering and freezing even on Low. I booted up the same stream no my Galaxy 6 and it was streaming flawlessly on Source.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
No idea on how easy the Fire tablets are to root, but I'm hoping the $50 one gets root quickly. I've been toying with the idea of putting one in my car.

The amazon appstore isn't bad. You can check it out yourself by sideloading it on any android device. They've got most, if not all, of the popular apps.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I think the Amazon tablets rootability is dependent on which one and how updated it is. Check over at XDA Developers for the model you're looking at.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Kindle still locked down Amazon version of Android? And if so, how laughably easy to root? Considering the batch buy idea as gifts for the kiddos.

Or is the Amazon market close enough to the Play Store now that it wouldn't be necessary to unlock it?
I've had an HDX for almost 2 years now. It took almost a year and a half I think from release before anyone was able to unlock the bootloader. Now that's done though I'm running a custom 5.1 rom on it and it's an amazing device. Before that happened though, there were some other work arounds to put some roms on it but they weren't the best or most stable. Fire OS was total garbage when I first got the device but I haven't used it or any of it's updates in over a year so I can't speak to it's current quality.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone here have experience with the Amazon Fire for kids tablet? My main question is if it has a way to lock the screen no matter what app you are in? My son is 2.5 and loves to click home buttons or other things and then gets upset because his show or letters game has stopped.

Thanks for any input!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
We've used Kindle Freetime for the better part of 2 years, the Kindle locks as normal, they're just trapped in the Freetime UI when it's unlocked. Not the 'kids edition' but rather a 7 Fire w/ very similar case and a 10".

Home is a UI element that swipes in from the right, not a button. The hardware buttons are volume (we had to install a volume limiter from the amazon web store) and power.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Have some random newbie questions about tablets. I'm looking to replace my piece of shit second pc since it's old and I don't want to spend money trying to figure out exactly what's broken with it(it randomly crashes a bunch, pretty sure it's linked to the graphics card but if it's the motherboard and I replace the gfx, it's gonna be a waste of time and money) so I was thinking of getting something new. I'm not sure if a tablet is really the thing though, but was curious since I've seen the surface pro 3 presentation shit and what not.

I'm only really looking at the surface stuff though, I need to be able to run windows since I use the secondary pc to do a bunch of different stuff. Specifically, it'd need to stream mp4 stuff to TV but it seems most tablets do that via HDMI so not a big issue here, I also need to use it to download torrents since I don't like doing it in the background of my main pc, that's where the actual OS is needed, but I'd also want it to run games. I don't want it to run games well, but I'd want to be able to boot games on minimum graphics, just so I can dual log simple shit and so on, mostly mmos and shit so it doesn't need to play shit at 4k and 120FPS.

Now the question really is, should I bother with a tablet for these kind of tasks, or should I just get a laptop? Considering the surface pro 3 prices, it seems I could get a really good laptop at the same price, so wondering where it is in terms of performances, can it actually run games, is there any advantage to use a tablet for this and so on? What about the Nvidia shield, is that crap? I know they sell it as a gaming thing so I assume it's pretty powerful but I don't really know what it even is. I haven't had a laptop or tablet before so I really have no clue and looking at a bunch of reviews and shit which a lot of them are centered around stuff that I don't care about sounds annoying so asking for some general advice.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Whatever you do, I'd wait a month or so until all the new hardware has been released. Surface Pro 4 is supposedly getting announced very soon, and other companies should be releasing Skylake-based laptops / hybrids / tablets soon as well. So if you want a Pro 3 they should be cheaper, or if you don't mind spending the extra can go for one of the brand new designs.

I don't think you'd want a Shield for all the tasks above - it has an ARM processor so can't run windows. Any windows gaming is done by way of streaming from machines in their cloud from the sound of it.